Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting Handguns - scope vs. reflex sights???

Started by lightsoutcalls, August 01, 2011, 11:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

O.k. guys...  I just got my Dan Wesson .357 (6" barrel) drilled and tapped with a scope mount installed.  I had originally planned on putting a fixed 2x scope on it.  I plan to use it for deer hunting, hog hunting and carry in the woods while scouting, etc.  I will plan to limit my shots to 50 yards or thereabouts. 
I'm torn between the 2x scope and a reflex type sight.  Obviously for hog hunting, I need quick target acquisition.  For deer, I would likely have more time to get a sight picture. 

I'm looking for input on pros and cons of each option... scope?  reflex sight?  Recommendations for either? 

I'm not planning to spend over $200 tops either way, and would prefer not to spend that much.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Ol'Mossy

I have a GP100 357 Ruger 6"barrel I plan on using for deer But i'm going to just use the sights, if I can blow a ratllesnakes head off at 10 yards with solids why put a scope on it.  :z-guntootsmiley:

lightsoutcalls

For some reason, the sights on this gun were loose... not in a way that you could tighten a screw and fix them.  Dan Wesson revolvers have been reviewed as being some of the most accurate available and were used in silhouette shooting taking top awards.  I know the shooters had a lot to do with that, but the guns are capable of much better accuracy than what I was getting with open sights.  Dan Wesson revolvers haven't been made since the 80's, so replacement sights were not available, thus the scope mount. 

Beretta686

I love to handgun hunt. I started with a SBH .44 with a 2.5x7 Burris on it years ago and killed several deer. Now I have a SRH, TC Encore pistol, and G2 pistol. All I hunt deer and hogs with. all have scopes on them.

I never got use to the red dots on a large caliber hand gun. I Also have several .22 handguns. One with a red dot, one with a scope, and one with a reflex halo site on it. I shoot steel plates with those.

With a scope, I keep them on low power when hunting. I will crank it up if I am in a shooting house with  a bi-pod and solid rest, then I will crank up the power.

Get you a good QUALITY set of shooting sticks. If you hunt from a climbing tree stand. Set it on a tree and practice how to get steady and use your sticks in the stand. It is a lot easier to do 2 feet off the ground than 20 feet up. You may find that you may need to fasten some small PVC pipe with a cap in the one ems for your shooting stick legs to fit in. Screw in steps covered with pipe insulation makes a great rest for when you turn around in the stand and have to make a shot. Practice now and think things through.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

barry

I had a .44 ruger with a red dot scope on it!
VERY DEADLY! Killed deer, a fox and even a grouse with it.

Skeeterbait

If you were building a long range pistol like a Thompson Contender or Encore than I think a scope with magnification makes sense.  On a six inch revolver magnification is not your friend.  Too hard to pick the target up when the target is close.  For that a compact open lens reflex zero power sight is the way to go.  I speak from experience, I have used both on a six inch revolver and for shots inside of 50 yards, magnification is not needed.  The ability to follow an animal moving through brush with both eyes open is what is needed.  My preference for such a gun is the UltraDot LT.

gatrkyhntr70

<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

lightsoutcalls

I worked out a deal to get a Tru Glo Tru Brite reflex sight.  They are more compact that some of the other sights.  It is also guaranteed if I have any problems I can return it for a refund.  You can't beat a deal like that. 

The gentleman I am getting the sight from has one on his 1187 and said it was "scary" how easy it was to get on target with it.  I can't wait to get it on the .357 and see what I can do with it.   :)