turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Special man

Started by TRKYHTR, July 29, 2011, 05:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

I met a special man today. He was actually one of my patients. We got to talking about the past and he started telling me about some war stories. He was in WWII and was under General MacArthur. He told stories about how MacArthur ordered him to take out a few problem situations and how he told him to take care of a tank that was stuck. MacArthur told him to get it unstuck any way he could, so he dug a hole under the track that was stuck and placed a case of TNT under it. When the smoked cleared the tank was upright and not stuck anymore. He is one of those guys that you could talk to for hours on end and it feels like minutes. Needless to say we didn't get much done but it was a great visit for me and I think for him also. He had many horrific memories that he said would not go away but they had to be done during a time of war. These are the real heros of time past. He is in his 90's and said most of his family lived till they were 100+. He still is sharp as a tack but the body just don't work to good anymore. Just thought I would share.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

mossy835

Nice to know some of then are still around and still able to talk to you. We had a neighbor that was with Patton as his communications officer, he had a nice letter from Patton framed in his hallway. he can no longer remember due to Alzheimer's but he told some interesting stories.

savduck

Joe thats pretty cool. Tell the fella thank you from the Crow family.
Georgia Boy

guesswho

That generation produced a lot of good ones, not many like him left.   And were not producing to many like him now-a-days.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

jde

A true hero and a piece of living history we need to treasure those :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

drenalinld

Thanks for sharing, Joe. It's sure great to spend time with a real hero.

barry

A dear friend of mine's father was a POW in WWII. He shared many stories of what he went thru over there. Both of his brothers were killed in the war, one on D-Day.
Great man!

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: guesswho on July 29, 2011, 08:48:17 PM
That generation produced a lot of good ones, not many like him left.   And were not producing to many like him now-a-days.

Isnt thst the truth. Thats a great story. Im a rep for a beverage company and one of my stops there are actually 2 gents like this. I enjoy hearing their stories. These men are the real deal :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

wisconsinteacher

I am happy you both benefited from your time together.  As time goes by the memories and nightmares increase for my grandfather.  The last time I saw him, I got him started on the war and he really opened up.  He landed D-Day+3, walked across France and was wounded 3 times.  His mind is very sharp and his body for 86 years old is doing great.  I wish he would put it on tape for others to hear.  In our small town of 2000, his uniform and some pictures are on display.  He and all of the others of his time are heroes, but they will never admit it.  I wish people today would learn that skill.

Basser69

Thanks for sharing. I had a gent that worked for me that landed on D-day and drove a half-track all the way across France. I loved hearing all his stories before he retired ( due to a sick wife) at 86. All I can say is thanks to all the Vets out there!  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

4nwtf

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an. Thank you to him and all of our veterans for the freedom we have.  I do wonder what many of them think about our current "leaders". 

vaturkey

Thanks for sharing Joe ! Great story !   :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
Vaturkey

turkey slayer

Quote from: jde on July 29, 2011, 09:15:59 PM
A true hero and a piece of living history we need to treasure those :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
:agreed: :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

stone road turkey calls

Thanks to him i get to make turkey calls, or do anything i want to. hats off to him, thanks. :agreed: :agreed: :agreed: :thanks: :icon_thumright:
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call