turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Getting land to hunt

Started by Jay, February 14, 2011, 07:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

A lot of hunters struggle with having good land to hunt, especially some of the younger guys. I think it would help if we gave them some ideas on how you acquired land to hunt. If you are comfortable stopping at strangers land to ask them about Turkey hunting their place, how have you been successful at it.

OLE RASPY

I have never stopped at a strangers house to get permission not saying i wouldnt though.Im fortunate to hunt 1000 plus acres of private in different locations but most the time theres only a few that productive.I aguired the land that i hunt on through my nieghbors by helping them on there farms in tobbacco,hay, cows, anything to do with on the farm.The other day i hepled a 80 year old guy out on his farm that i turkey hunt on by shoveling rock along his driveway. My advice would be if it were a stranger then ask them politley and let it be known that u will pack out what u pack in and give him or her some of the meat u harvest and help out arpond the farm fencing, cleaning up,etc.

shootumindaface

jakesdad

First and foremost be upfront and honest with them.tell them you are willing to trade work or help out.if they say no,thank them and go on,but be polite.Ask around if anybody may know of a place to hunt.severasl non hunters have gotten me on to places I probably never would of thought of asking.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Crutch

It helps to be a good person.  If you help people, sometimes they will go out of their way to help you.  Also talking about hunting helps, if people don't know how much you love turkey hunting, they will never know to offer a place.  You can also trade out. Most everyone has a skill that others don't have.  Lots of old timers that do not hunt would be glad to trade a tukey to get their bushhog welded, or their lawn mower fixed and expecially their computer fixed.  THINK, THINK THINK.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

turkeybow

I have acquired a place from strangers a few times.  I'm only 26 and this is what worked for me.  3 of the 4 were places when I was in college.  I wanted to deer hunt and it would be in their back yard.  So instead of asking to deer hunt I asked if I could bow hunt.  Obviously I was real polite to them about everything and offered them meat if they would like.  I also had an agreement stating that I had the rights to bow hunt only, I would follow all the regulations set forth by the state, and I would not hold them (the land owner) liable for anything.  That agreement on paper and signed I believe has helped me the most.  The place that I have now is right down the road.  I have offered work and trapping services if he has any wildlife problems what so ever.  I also said I would take out any yote I possibly could as he has a bunch of cattle.  I also do things for them to say thank you.  I would always give them a thank you card with a pic of a harvest or I get my girlfriend to make a cake.  It has worked out good so far even though the majority of the doors I have knocked on have said no.  That's the worst that can happen so I will keep knocking!
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

cfrye11

VAHUNTER

i just stop and ask. i do not show up in full camo. try to look presentable. the way i look at it i have a 50/50 chance at every door.
Good things come to those who wait

Jay

Finding hunting land is a 12 month deal. You work all year at it. A good place to start is at church,  if you are a member. People that know you are much more apt to give you leads. Pass the word around at work. If you meet other hunters, even if they are not Turkey hunters, ask them about Turkeys they've seen.

hookedspur

Quote from: jakesdad on February 14, 2011, 08:31:59 PM
First and foremost be upfront and honest with them.tell them you are willing to trade work or help out.if they say no,thank them and go on,but be polite.Ask around if anybody may know of a place to hunt.severasl non hunters have gotten me on to places I probably never would of thought of asking.
Yes I agree you must be yourself and totally honest .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

socalturkeyman

Im soaking everything in guys keep it coming.Will be using everthing this weekend. I just need to build up the guts to cross those gate (if open) to talk the ranchers in my hunting areas.But due to being 2 hours away I'll have to make the best of my time.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

sodfather

Good stuff guys keep it coming. For some reason I am still scared of rejection and getting the door slammed in my face is a big fear. Its so weird cause I own my own business and I hear the word NO more time than I like. But at least when I'm trying to sell a job and hear No, I am good enough to pursway my way to get a Yes, its usually comes down to money. Keep the ideas coming. 

FttFttVroom!

Once you do get permission, take care to keep your relationship intact with the landowner.  Don't just assume it's all yours to do as you wish.  ASK before taking anyone else with you.  Let them know when you plan to be on their land and what weapons you will be using.  Treat them with respect and they will be very gracious in return!

Jay

Quote from: sodfather on February 14, 2011, 10:28:14 PM
Good stuff guys keep it coming. For some reason I am still scared of rejection and getting the door slammed in my face is a big fear. Its so weird cause I own my own business and I hear the word NO more time than I like. But at least when I'm trying to sell a job and hear No, I am good enough to pursway my way to get a Yes, its usually comes down to money. Keep the ideas coming. 
I've always said if I have to sell door to door to feed myself, I'd die of starvation. However, once I get face to face with someone, I'm usually good to go, because I could carry on a conversation with just about anyone that is breathing. It's just the driving up to a strangers house that I have a problem with. The people who can do that will eventually get places to hunt, because there are landowners, who don't mind people hunting their land.

sodfather

Ya I'm no door to door Kirby vac salesmen but the word no hurts my ears. Everytime I'm trying to sell a job I convince them alot to turn that into a yes. But this is a whole different animal