OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 870 super mag-choke recommendation

Started by Gobble Nole, July 28, 2011, 07:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble Nole

I have an 870 super mag camo with a 26 inch barrel that I would like to get a choke tube for.  Can anybody recommend a specific choke tube for this gun?  I don't know if it will be my primary turkey gun or not, I just bought a Super Vinci 3 1/2 and would like to hunt some with it as well.  As a matter of fact can anyone recommend a choke tube for the super Vinci?  I have heard that Benellis do well with tighter chokes because of the barrel diameter.  Any advice would be great, I am planning on shooting the hevi shot mag blends or # 6 shot size.  Thanks...

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Gobble Nole on July 28, 2011, 07:16:10 PM
I have an 870 super mag camo with a 26 inch barrel that I would like to get a choke tube for.  Can anybody recommend a specific choke tube for this gun?  I don't know if it will be my primary turkey gun or not, I just bought a Super Vinci 3 1/2 and would like to hunt some with it as well.  As a matter of fact can anyone recommend a choke tube for the super Vinci?  I have heard that Benellis do well with tighter chokes because of the barrel diameter.  Any advice would be great, I am planning on shooting the hevi shot mag blends or # 6 shot size.  Thanks...

First of all, congratulations on 2 great guns. I have been increasingly impressed by the Hevi-13 Turkey Chokes in Remington shotguns. I have not shot the new Super Vinci but have been shooting the 3" Vinci for a year or so. I've also owed Benelli shotguns since 1991 and own several currently. I agree that they prefer chokes with tighter exit diameters, all things considered, depending upon the internal geometry. I've had very good luck with both the Wright's and with the SSX in my Benelli shotguns. I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

davisd9

2ounce6s shoots a Rem SM with a 26in barrel using Mag Blends and he has a jelly head.  I have seen what it will do to a turkey and it is knock down power.  I am pretty sure it is the .665 Jelly Head.  Good luck and keep us up to date.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Deputy 14

Mine really likes the .662 hevi shot choke with 3/1/2 blends. Have a jellyhead also but I couldn't get it to digest anything, everyone else seems to like them though.  I think your probably better off to buy any good choke and find a load it likes and buy them up.
Good luck.

West Augusta

Mine had a 28" barrel that I replaced with a 24". I put a .665 Jellyhead on it and bought some Hevi Magblends and never looked back.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Kylongspur88

Mine likes the jelly heads and it also likes the super full rem trky choke. I think I picked that one up for 12 bucks and get 170's+/- with 3.5 hevi 6"s..

SKFOOTER

4nwtf

stick bow

Mine prefers IC .665. The jellyhead .665 was a no go in my gun.

ElkTurkMan

I have an 870 special purpose Mag in 12 GA with a26" barell.  I am shooting HEVI 13 3" 2oz #6's though a Hevi 13 choke.  So far it's the best choke I ahve used out of this gun.

Gamblinman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

bird

I have Pure Gold in both my Rem 870SM and Benelli M2.

Luke95

Call will at Sumtoy tell him what you need and he will build it :)

Luke95
Sumtoy Get Choked

hookedspur

Quote from: stick bow on July 29, 2011, 05:26:04 PM
Mine prefers IC .665. The jellyhead .665 was a no go in my gun.
Minr as well on both !
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

gophert

Quote from: SKFOOTER on July 29, 2011, 12:47:34 AM
.660 Jelllyhead

:agreed:

Match it up with some Hevi 3.5" #7's and you got a shooter.  Pure Gold is another that shoots really well.