turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Next piece of hunting gear?

Started by wisconsinteacher, July 24, 2011, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

Well, some of you read that I set up a chart to workout to earn a call.  Well I have 7 more workouts to go to claim the prize.  In this time, I have remembered one thing about myself and that is that I hate running/jogging.  I am thinking about researching and looking for a road bike.  I enjoy riding bike and it is not as harsh on my feet.  Do any of you guys have road bikes and what should I be looking for when buying one?  I feel that I could get just as good of a workout riding bike for 30 minutes as compared to jogging a mile everyday and not have foot and back pain.

BOFF

Get a mountain bike, put street tires on it, and then change the tires out again for turkey season.

Never had a road bike, but used to mountain bike 3-4 times a week before I hurt my back.

God Bless,
David B.

chatterbox

Road cycling is alot of fun. I gave up running a few years ago, and turned exclusively to riding. Unfortunately, a good begining racing road bike is gonna set you back at least 1000.00 new, with some models going even higher.
I put on 15-16 miles a day on weekdays before work, and try to get a 35-40 mile in on the weekends. It's tough to get the same good workout from a 30 min bike ride as you get from a 30 min run. When running you are always working. When cycling, alot of times you are coasting down a hill, and it takes a longer span to get the same cardio benifits from cycling.
There are huge benifits though I feel. You don't get the pain in your feet or knees, and there is nothing like riding along a quiet country road just peddling along. Plus, you get to enjoy a nice dinner without feeling guilty!
Good luck with whatever you choose. If I can be of any help, please feel free to shoot me a PM.

Mike

natman

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on July 24, 2011, 02:22:57 PM
Well, some of you read that I set up a chart to workout to earn a call.  Well I have 7 more workouts to go to claim the prize.  In this time, I have remembered one thing about myself and that is that I hate running/jogging.  I am thinking about researching and looking for a road bike.  I enjoy riding bike and it is not as harsh on my feet.  Do any of you guys have road bikes and what should I be looking for when buying one?  I feel that I could get just as good of a workout riding bike for 30 minutes as compared to jogging a mile everyday and not have foot and back pain.

If the object is to get a workout you don't want a fancy lightweight road bike with an unobtanium frame. Get a used Schwinn three speed, the heavier the better. If you have to pedal harder, the sooner you'll get the exercise you want.

What the heck does this thread have to do with hunting gear? ???

wisconsinteacher

It is so I can be in better shape to hunt and be around longer to do so.  I need to tell myself that it is for hunting or I will not do it.

lightsoutcalls

This is what I would get if I had the $$$.  I rode several models of the Specialized Hard Rock a year or so ago in looking at bikes myself.  It rode much better than all of the other bikes I tried, even in higher dollar range.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52708&scid=1003&scname=Path%2FGravel

This one runs a bit over $400 in my neck of the woods.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

chatterbox

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on July 25, 2011, 12:11:35 PM
This is what I would get if I had the $$$.  I rode several models of the Specialized Hard Rock a year or so ago in looking at bikes myself.  It rode much better than all of the other bikes I tried, even in higher dollar range.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52708&scid=1003&scname=Path%2FGravel

This one runs a bit over $400 in my neck of the woods.
Sweet looking bike! Specialized make some super sweet road bikes as well!

wisconsinteacher

Well I was able to ride two bikes today at the store.  One was too big for me but I liked this one.  They want 350 for it.

http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/hybrid/route-30-11/

jshively

My only problem with hybrids are that they do not do well either on the road or off the road.  They are great for riding to the store or a quick round the block with the wife and kids - but are difficult when you want to get any exercise.  You learn quickly that your body starts to hurt in the position it puts you.  I have ridden road bikes (even did some racing in the past) and it is definitely a great workout if you can put in the HOURS.  Personally I prefer a mountain bike - great exercise, you do not have to ride much longer than an hour to get a good workout and you will not be taken out by a Soccer Mom.  Now you may have some close encounters with wildlife - but that is a bonus for me.
  :bike2:

chatterbox

Quote from: natman on July 25, 2011, 04:16:49 AM
Quote from: wisconsinteacher on July 24, 2011, 02:22:57 PM

If the object is to get a workout you don't want a fancy lightweight road bike with an unobtanium frame. Get a used Schwinn three speed, the heavier the better. If you have to pedal harder, the sooner you'll get the exercise you want.

I beg to differ. A lighter, faster bike will yield much larger gains than a heavier bike. Also, peddling harder is not the answer. You want to actually pedal easier(right around 80-90 pedal strokes a minute), than harder. The faster your pedal strokes, the easier it is on your knees, and ultimately, the faster you end up riding.