OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

.17 hmr for squirrels??

Started by doepee, July 24, 2011, 01:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doepee

Been asking about scopes for a 10/22 but I do have a marlin .17 hmr that is scoped for varmints... the least fps I can get for the .17 is around 2300 fps ..My question is would this be a good squirrel gun or does everyone think it has to much power??

redarrow

Aim for the head and you will be fine.

bird

Quote from: redarrow on July 24, 2011, 01:50:18 PM

x2.... unless you don't plan on eating them!

doepee

I have a box of fmj cci's for small game they are the ones rated at 2300 fps which would still demolish a squirrels head ;D   At the moment it is sighted in with hornady v-max varmint rated at 2550 fps.. I think that might be a little much ;D

hookedspur

They are a fine squirrel gun I use one for still hunting and a 17 mk2 when I use a dog .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

mcgruff1533

Quote from: redarrow on July 24, 2011, 01:50:18 PM

I do the same with my .22 Magnum using Hornady 30 gr V-max bullets.      Headshots only, and no damage to useable meat.

870BkWht

I shot one 2 falls ago with a Hornady V-Max and I was shooting off hand and shot the squirrel about midways in the body.  I still managed to get the front and back legs, but the middle of the body was GONE !!

catdaddy

17 or a 22 mag is way over kill for squirrels.  Stick with a 22 long rifle

Stoner

Only take head shots as mentioned above. I use to use a Rem. 5mm rimfire for squirrels and it would take the head clean off and never damaged the meat. It will make you a better shot and better hunter.

pcgobbler

Quote from: catdaddy on July 26, 2011, 06:01:20 AM
17 or a 22 mag is way over kill for squirrels.  Stick with a 22 long rifle
x2,  I usually aim for the middle of the body, as my eyes arent very good, and my 22LR is not scoped.

drenalinld

The brain is the best part of those tree rats! It is overkill, but if you like it, smoke em.

lightsoutcalls

My buddy shoots a .17 for squirrels with good success.  As has been mentioned, head shots only if you want to eat them.  He had equally good results on a 120+ pound hog with his .17.  He drilled that hog behind the ear from about 40 yards... drop and flop. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!