OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any other GA hunters on here?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 14, 2011, 07:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savduck

Shot a beretta 390 for years with  Comp N Choke and #4 winchesters and a kicks 660 #5 winchesters. Retired her and got a Stoeger M2000 with IC 665. Patterns good with the same heavy load 6s, but I shoot winchester extended range instead of the hevis. I just dont think those Hevi's hit as hard as the winchesters.

Not sure what the total pellet count is, Im to lazy to count. Its a bunch though and the pattern stays that way a whole lot further than lead
Georgia Boy

StruttinGobbler3

I've heard a lot of good things about the Winchester Extended Range shells, might have to pick up a box before season and try them out. Don't know anywhere nearby me that stocks them though.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

bencattin

I hunt in NW Georgia. Killed 3 birds last season all on public land.

Ben.
IF TURKEYS COULD SMELL WE WOULD NEVER KILL ONE!

savduck

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on February 14, 2011, 11:28:24 PM
I've heard a lot of good things about the Winchester Extended Range shells, might have to pick up a box before season and try them out. Don't know anywhere nearby me that stocks them though.

They dont seem to have as many pellets as the hevis, but the pattern is still unreal. They just seem to hit harder to me though. They rock the target stand when they hit at longer distance. The hevis just move the paper oon the same stand. Im just a die hard Winchester guy. Hard for me to break habits.
Georgia Boy

StruttinGobbler3

I've got a hunting buddy who swears by the Winchester shells. Don't really know what type of knockdown they have on a gobbler because he's one of those self proclaimed turkey hunting experts who does his best to knock down a bird every two or three years. Reckon even a blind hog finds a nut time to time.  :TooFunny:

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

misfire

Talked to a guy Sunday who saw three strutters on the edge of a field near Perry
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

camp man

This is my first time hunting in Ga. How well do they gobble over into May? I got on a lease this year in Early Co. Do any of you hunt around there?

Cove

May can be tricky, it always seems to me that the lull often carries to the first week but most of the time they finish strong.

StruttinGobbler3

I agree May can be hit or miss. Usually April is a great time to be in the woods around here.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

savduck

We usually have birds gobbling and working in May. The worst I can remember was three seasons ago.....but that whole season sucked.
Georgia Boy

StruttinGobbler3

I agree, I believe it was about three years ago we had a rough time down here. Only killed one bird that season and called in another for a friend and we were glad to get them. As savduck said that whole season was terrible.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

jbrown

I am born and raised in Ga., been huntin gobblers for around 30yrs....since Ga had its first season. I hunt private and public land. I went out the other mornin to load the bird dogs in the truck and a bird was hammerin about 100yds behind my house. Savduck and I are big buddies....hes right about gobblers roostin and feedin in the same areas yr after yr, unless people pressure make'm move. I don't scout untill the last couple of days before the season, but I've hunted a lot of my places for years.

hookedspur

I hunted with a fellow near Atlanta a few years back,his name was Bob Bohen .Had a great time and 3 of us killed 4 birds.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

cassga

Another fellow GA hunter checkin in. Hadnt been out to listen any yet, but have seen some groups out in the fields in the afternoon. I usually wait til the first of March before goin out in the mornings to listen.

Cove

Quote from: jbrown on February 16, 2011, 07:33:10 PM
I am born and raised in Ga., been huntin gobblers for around 30yrs....since Ga had its first season. I hunt private and public land. I went out the other mornin to load the bird dogs in the truck and a bird was hammerin about 100yds behind my house. Savduck and I are big buddies....hes right about gobblers roostin and feedin in the same areas yr after yr, unless people pressure make'm move. I don't scout untill the last couple of days before the season, but I've hunted a lot of my places for years.

You're friends with Sav? uh oh. . . .  :z-guntootsmiley:

I'll be out listening every morning from the day I get back from FL til the opener, but I dont tamper. . . just listen from a distance.