OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any other GA hunters on here?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 14, 2011, 07:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Just wondering if any of you GA hunters are hearing any gobbling activity or spotting strutters yet. Due to work I haven't had time to head out at daylight to do some listening at any of my honey holes. So, y'all hearing any yet?  :gobble:
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

savduck

Yep, few gobbling. Nothing special though.

Coastal Plain.
Georgia Boy

Cove

Only got out 1 morning thus far, nothing.

StruttinGobbler3

Hmm. Not encouraging. However since its only mid February it will probably be two or three weeks yet before they really get cranked up.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

gatrapper

Had one hammering his brains out the other morning while running traps.
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

savduck

I think this season is gonna be a lot like last season, which was AWESOME. Birds are still in winter flocks, that I have been seeing. I like it that way because you have a good chance at calling multiple gobblers in the early season, the birds will get henned up about the 2nd week of April and stay that way until the first of May when they come looking for loving again.
Georgia Boy

old frank

I was in Upson county last week, finally getting out my stands from deer season.

I did a lot of walking and did not see the turkey sign that I usually do. Normally it looks like some one ran a plow through all the leaves.

I sure hope that is not a bad sign.

StruttinGobbler3

I agree with savduck, last year was interesting. Opening morning I had a group of five 2 year olds charge in. Pulled off a double, both with matching nine inch beards and one inch spurs. Could have been twins  :D. After the first week though, my luck went downhill. Gobblers got henned up bad and seemed to stay that way the rest of the season. As frank said, I've noticed as well a definite lack of turkey sign in places I've always had turkeys. Thats a little unsettling with opening day closing in.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

gatrapper

Last year was awesome.  1st two weeks they seemed to be henned up bad but the 1st week of April we started to wear em out.

savduck

I think it will be fine. Last year was a banner year. A TON of birds got killed last year by a bunch of guys that normally dont kill gobblers on a regular basis.  I know a few fellars that usually only manage one bird a year that tagged out. I worked birds every weekend last year from start to finish, all on public land.   We have had a bunch of water and tons of acorns this season, that may have affected your birds patterns a little.
Georgia Boy

savduck

Quote from: gatrapper on February 14, 2011, 10:38:19 PM
Last year was awesome.  1st two weeks they seemed to be henned up bad but the 1st week of April we started to wear em out.

Have five buddies in my GA turkey hunting circle. I was alone. Two buddies hunting together, two other buddies hunting together. 11 gobblers killed opening day between all five of us. i was on public land. the other on private. Another buddy is involved with "Country goes hunting" they shattered their old record by double digit birds this year. I cant remember, but I think it was like 16 more birds than the record. It was on in GA last year.

4 of us killed 2. 1 guy tagged out. Here are 7 of the 11.

Georgia Boy

gatrapper

Last Years GA birds excluding 1

#1--Shot on March 26

Dads Swamp Monster

#2--Shot on April 3

GA Limit-Shot in May

StruttinGobbler3

Great pics savduck. I ended up tagging out last season the second week of April by pissing off a boss hen enough to come check me out, with a nice gobbler in tow. Don't have any pictures on my computer, have to see if I can round up some off of my old laptop to post here. Looks like y'all knocked down your fair share for sure. I hope to see my birds get their patterns back on track before opening day, or I'll end up wearing out a pair of new boots scouting them out and figuring out their patterns all over again. :-\

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

savduck

Man, something I have learned about turkey hunting in 17 years. If you leave the birds alone, they will stick around the same areas and follow the same habits year after year unless habitat changes or people bug them. I dont mess with them until the night before opening day.

They are running in winter flocks, and that could all change in a short window of time. Their pattern will change when the flocks start mixing and busting up. Unless you just want to get out, I think your spinning your wheels right now. I would save that gas money for when it really matters.

Good luck.

Georgia Boy

StruttinGobbler3

I appreciate the advice. You've got me beat by a few years, I started hunting turkeys eleven years ago. I usually don't start hard scouting until a week or two before season, although I'll listen a morning or two here and there leading up to it. Speaking of patterning, what kind of turkey slayer do you have rigged up? Mine is a Benelli Supernova with an Indian Creek .665 choke. Shoots best with Hevi 13 3" 2oz #6s. If I recall correctly that setup gets 240-something hits in a ten inch circle at forty yards. Don't mean to be nosy, I'm always interested in what other people shoot. Never know when you might find something to improve your own rig from other's experiences.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion