OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help picking new box call

Started by Midwestwaterfowl, September 06, 2024, 01:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midwestwaterfowl

In the market for a new box and would like some help picking one.  I mostly use a box for locating (hen cutting/yelping), but would like for one side to have a good gobbler cluck/yelp as well.  Don't know if such a call exists, so I am open to suggestions.  Thanks

LMO

Marlin Watkins, can't go wrong there

Will

I would agree, Marlin Watkins but would add Jeff McKamey of Twisting Creek Calls. A long box can do exactly what you are interested in.

greentrout

I have recently become a big fan of long boxes because it can make all the sounds needed. I would strongly recommend a paddle call. Those I currently have are from Ernie Fetters and I am very pleased. A mini paddle may be another option for you though
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

turkey stew

Many good call makers. Add SSCustom to the list.

Crghss

Ernie Fetters, SS Custom are two of my favorites.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Midwestwaterfowl

Thanks guys. I will look into everyone mentioned. Sounds like I should go the long box/paddle route.

mountainhunter1

I have the calls mentioned in my possession, and am a huge fan of guys like Mr. Al Shoemaker and Mr. Marlin, but what about a Liberty< Mississippi era made Lynch World Champion box call which can be bought for around 30-35 dollars on Ebay regularly? Yes, you may have to buy a couple to get one that has a very realistic gobbler yelp, but 30 dollars a pop is still way under what these other boxcalls will cost. And, if you have to buy several to get one with a really good gobbler yelp on it, you can resale the ones that you choose not to keep for close to what you paid for them on Ebay to guys who maybe just want them for the hen yelp on the other side of the call, etc.

Even with these higher dollar custom long box calls sitting in my office, when I want to talk to a gobbler, a well tuned Lynch World Champion is hard to beat for a good gobbler yelp. Also, the Roger Parks gobbler pot is also a better buy if you want to save a dollar over these higher dollar long boxes that others mentioned. You can get the same result either way, just trying to maybe save you a dollar or two.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

rifleman

None of the renown names as mentioned above but......Frank Kochenderfer (sp) makes a pretty good call of a variety of wood.  His are longboxes and they do get out really well.  On a farm that I hunt I use the assembly call which I have heard hens doing and the gobblers will often come in silent or maybe just gobble from a distance and arrive quiet.  He is one OG.

Lcmacd 58

Gotta add "Snozz" to the list ..  Ralph is very easy to work with
But I won't discount any of the above mentioned ..  some of the "Best of the Best" have been mentioned above

Midwestwaterfowl

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Notsoyoungturk

Don't think you can talk long boxes without mentioning Steve Mann.  He was the guy Mossy Oak went to for long boxes on the Mr Fox vest.  He makes a Cedar over Poplar that is amazing.  He, like many of the other, can tune the sides like you want.  Tell him what you want and he can recommend a wood combo that makes it work.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear