turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Chalk case.........

Started by Tarheel, August 19, 2024, 10:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarheel

Since I'm on restriction and can't use the shop machinery for two weeks, I have to do something else. I have a bunch of small sections of bamboo, and I needed to come up with a use for it....I worked too hard to just throw bamboo away. If everyone else is like me, I can never find my box call chalk when I need it because I really don't have somewhere good to keep it. Now I have a solution. I've decided I will use bamboo to build a chalk case, so I will have somewhere to store my chalk and access it when I need it when I'm playing box calls. I know you can store chalk in the box cavity, but you have to have somewhere to put the chalk when you're playing the call. Now I've solved that problem for me at least....and proceeds from the sale of this chalk case are already on the way to support the Darren Dye family. This chalk case is going to a good home after I get it finished up this week, and the proceeds are going to a help a good man and his family.

Tarheel

I give up trying to insert a picture.......

Will

Nice work Mr. Marvin and great idea. Box call chalk is certainly hard to store in your hunting gear considering it is so dang messy.   

callmakerman

Well first off Why are you on restriction? A creative mind like yours needs to be free to go wherever it needs to. Are you going to make and sell any more? Very nice work as usual.

EZ

Very cool idea and nicely done Marvin!!!

Tarheel

Quote from: callmakerman on August 19, 2024, 12:49:24 PMWell first off Why are you on restriction? A creative mind like yours needs to be free to go wherever it needs to. Are you going to make and sell any more? Very nice work as usual.

Back last August, I ruptured a disk in my lower back...and last Monday, I had my 4th spinal injection. In the past when I started feeling better, I headed for my workshop...and I reaped the consequences. When I am on an opioid, I have a tendency to seriously hurt myself when I operate machinery; and about a month ago, I caught my watch in my lathe chuck rotating at 3000rpms, pulling my left wrist into the chuck cutting to bone. The doctor tells me I missed arteries by less than 1/8"; and if I had cut an artery, I probably would not have made it to the hospital in time, and if we called EMS, they probably would not have been able to get to me in time. So I'm on restriction....LOL!!! Unfortunately, both the trumpet call case and the chalk case take the same amount of time and effort for me to make; and frankly, I can make 2-3 trumpet yelpers in the time it takes me to make one case...and that doesn't even take into consideration the time and expense of getting and processing the bamboo. The bamboo I have is exceptional, and it is perfect for making the cases; but I absolutely have no desire to cut any more bamboo. Both cases are very nice, but the way I make them is too labor intensive compared to how others make them. My plan now is to periodically combine them with special calls at what I feel to be an acceptable price depending on what work I do to them. Every one of them will be different; and since I'm not going to be making very many of them, I can work on them off and on when I have the time on the end of my dining room table in the evenings.

callmakerman

Quote from: Tarheel on August 19, 2024, 06:06:25 PM
Quote from: callmakerman on August 19, 2024, 12:49:24 PMWell first off Why are you on restriction? A creative mind like yours needs to be free to go wherever it needs to. Are you going to make and sell any more? Very nice work as usual.

Back last August, I ruptured a disk in my lower back...and last Monday, I had my 4th spinal injection. In the past when I started feeling better, I headed for my workshop...and I reaped the consequences. When I am on an opioid, I have a tendency to seriously hurt myself when I operate machinery; and about a month ago, I caught my watch in my lathe chuck rotating at 3000rpms, pulling my left wrist into the chuck cutting to bone. The doctor tells me I missed arteries by less than 1/8"; and if I had cut an artery, I probably would not have made it to the hospital in time, and if we called EMS, they probably would not have been able to get to me in time. So I'm on restriction....LOL!!!
And here I thought you were playing your calls in the house too much. Thats what usually happens with me. LOL I defiantly think it's a good idea. That lathe chuck would tear things up. I've run three fingers through a 1/2" straight router bit at 30,000 RPM. Finishes up real fast and clean. One month down time though.

Tarheel

I still can't wear a watch on my left wrist....and I have the scars as a constant reminder. I almost passed out before I could get out of my workshop. Thankfully, my wife and youngest son were outside and saw me when I came out of the shop and helped me get into the house. At first, I couldn't even tell them what had happened....LOL!! It put me out of commission for 45 days......

crow

Sharp looking work, very nice

Paulmyr

Your stuff is definitely top notch Marvin. Turkey hunting folk art for sure!
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Tarheel

Quote from: Will on August 19, 2024, 12:25:04 PMNice work Mr. Marvin and great idea. Box call chalk is certainly hard to store in your hunting gear considering it is so dang messy.   

Unfortunately, this chalk case is too large and bulky to consider using as hunting gear. This is a sit on the shelf in your call display case chalk case. I'll have to come up with some other idea of something to make for a chalk case to include in hunting gear.

ferocious calls

Know what ya mean with dissapearing chalk. Good idea and beautiful work!

Yoder409

Quote from: Tarheel on August 20, 2024, 08:41:27 AMUnfortunately, this chalk case is too large and bulky to consider using as hunting gear. This is a sit on the shelf in your call display case chalk case. I'll have to come up with some other idea of something to make for a chalk case to include in hunting gear.

Smaller bamboo.   :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Lcmacd 58

Marvin ... the work you do !!!

Tarheel

Quote from: Will on August 19, 2024, 12:25:04 PMNice work Mr. Marvin and great idea. Box call chalk is certainly hard to store in your hunting gear considering it is so dang messy.   

Ok, Will has given me an idea for a new hunting gear accessory for the hunting vest. I really don't need anymore accessory ideas, but this one really is too good to pass up....so it looks like I'll have to make a few small bamboo chalk cases just to see if what I have in mind is a viable option worth the time and effort to build. One thing for certain, I will not be hand stitching on something that small, so I will have to come up with other options for the cap opening.