turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gobbler talk

Started by Will, August 03, 2024, 10:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Almost 25 years ago I encountered a situation where a group of two year old gobblers would play the game but I could never score. They would respond with a lot of gobbling but only close the distance to within 60 yards. A tactic I used was a fighting purr and wing flap to mimicking a fight between birds and this would be the only thing that would get them to respond. As seasons would come and go, I would learn to use gobbler yelps for those stubborn and quiet birds. Although this tactic would work occasionally, it was not a sure thing but it was an added tool nonetheless.

My question to you all is who here uses gobbler talk in the Spring and if you do, what calls do you use.

I've consistently used either a Watkins or McKammey long box over the years but have recently acquired some great calls that can certainly talk the talk. Besides the long boxes, I can get consistent gobbler or jake talk from some 4 reed mouth calls. A Denny Gulvas 4 reed mouth call has become one of my new favorites. I recently acquired a Donny Richards gobbler box that has some deep tone and a Roger Parks slate call that sounds great. The one call I am still trying to learn is a Marvin Breedlove scratch box. The newest call I am adding to my arsenal is a Permar gobbler trumpet. Nice crisp deep clucks from this bad boy and I'm excited to put it to good use this fall and winter.

What calls do you use for gobbler talk?

Preview

Tom007

Your Donny Richards gobble box will give you some fine gobbler talk. Your arsenal is pretty solid there.

Greg Massey

I use Donny Richards and Roger Parks calls

tal

Notsoyoungturk

I use the Roger Parks call as a finisher.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

paboxcall

Springtime birds hanging up, like to toss in a couple jake yelps off the Snodgrass longbox.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

davisd9

A Cox trumpet will perform well with gobbler talk.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

crow

I use gobbler talk for spring and fall. Wingbone for clucks and yelps, tube call for gobbling and clucks

Old Swamper

Although I can make realistic gobbler talk on any call you hand me, my 6.5 Buice yelper excels in this department.

davisd9

Quote from: Old Swamper on August 06, 2024, 10:25:32 AMAlthough I can make realistic gobbler talk on any call you hand me, my 6.5 Buice yelper excels in this department.

That is what it was made to do.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Fallturkey86

A trumpet or mouth call mainly. I like a long box as well.

Old Swamper

Quote from: davisd9 on August 06, 2024, 10:57:38 AM
Quote from: Old Swamper on August 06, 2024, 10:25:32 AMAlthough I can make realistic gobbler talk on any call you hand me, my 6.5 Buice yelper excels in this department.

That is what it was made to do.
Actually, it was built to do it all, for those who are able to control their air;) Although I also own 5.5 and 6in Osages from Mr. Billy, I often hunt just that 6.5 all Spring season as well. In my hands, its hen talk is just as convincing as the gobbler talk. 

paboxcall

Quote from: Old Swamper on August 25, 2024, 11:33:19 AMIn my hands, its hen talk is just as convincing as the gobbler talk.

Same with this one....can be choked down very easily.

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

greentrout

Oh wow! Tony did an exceptional job on that one!
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

LMO

Great post here, some great knowledge and experience being shared, Thanks for posting Will. 👍