Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

“Less for us to chase, less for predators to eat”, are they getting smarter?

Started by Tom007, June 23, 2024, 06:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

This is strictly an observation/conclusion taken from my last 5 years in the turkey woods. As we all have witnessed and experienced over the past several years, most areas have declining turkey populations. Fewer birds for us, fewer for the predator population. This is my thoughts on how this has affected the behavior/wariness of the Gobblers, even the hens for that matter. I find in my areas that the birds are extremely "cagey"compared to years ago when the population was higher. The birds seem to be overly cautious if they come further distances without seeing their hen. I look back at my recent harvests, a lot of them have been tricky head shots in tougher shooting situations. Are these birds getting smarter, more exposure to predators who are also experiencing the shortage? I know I have noticed now more than ever that set-up and movement is super-critical. I used to get away with more in the turkey woods regarding this years ago. This is just my observation/opinion, I want to see if you all think there might be something to this? Has this made our birds inherently smarter? Be well, enjoy your summer...

Turkeybutt

I must agree and some of that could be an increase in predators. Looking back over the past 5 or 6 years there are a lot more new turkey hunters in the woods. Maybe the birds now are overly cautious and a little more "cagey" due to this new increase of new turkey hunters and their habits while hunting.  Just my two cents on how this has affected the behavior/wariness of the birds.

Old Swamper

NYturkey

Quote from: Turkeybutt on June 23, 2024, 06:41:53 AMLooking back over the past 5 or 6 years there are a lot more new turkey hunters in the woods. Maybe the birds now are overly cautious and a little more "cagey" due to this new increase of new turkey hunters and their habits while hunting.  Just my two cents on how this has affected the behavior/wariness of the birds.
I'd lean more this way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: NYturkey on June 23, 2024, 10:43:10 AM
Quote from: Turkeybutt on June 23, 2024, 06:41:53 AMLooking back over the past 5 or 6 years there are a lot more new turkey hunters in the woods. Maybe the birds now are overly cautious and a little more "cagey" due to this new increase of new turkey hunters and their habits while hunting.  Just my two cents on how this has affected the behavior/wariness of the birds.
I'd lean more this way

I would agree 100% here, except I don't get much hunter interference on the private land I hunt......but I see the point on hunter pressure for sure...

NYturkey

Is it possible they're getting pressure on other properties? I know predator populations shrink and grow with prey populations and I also don't know of a predator that specializes or keys in on turkey specifically. Most predators are more opportunistic. So, with shrinking turkey populations I'd be more inclined to believe that predators start focusing more on other prey species and therefore not adding any more pressure to turkey.

But I've been wrong before...

Tom007

Quote from: NYturkey on June 23, 2024, 10:59:01 AMIs it possible they're getting pressure on other properties? I know predator populations shrink and grow with prey populations and I also don't know of a predator that specializes or keys in on turkey specifically. Most predators are more opportunistic. So, with shrinking turkey populations I'd be more inclined to believe that predators start focusing more on other prey species and therefore not adding any more pressure to turkey.

But I've been wrong before...

Good thought....

Ihuntoldschool

Just turkeys being turkeys.  Nothing earth shattering or any significant change in behavior over past 5 years. 

Cautious,  cagey, wary that's the nature of the bird. Hasn't changed in past 5 years or 55 for that matter.

Can't recall wild turkeys I hunted tolerating movement last 5 years or last 25 .

Can't recall a season where set up wasn't important either. 

merriamsman

With Merriam's turkeys hunting pressure absolutely affects their behavior. Birds on private land with little or no hunting pressure can become as dumb as domestic birds - we call them barnyard turkeys. Killing one of those is like shooting fish in a barrel. But birds on pressured public land are super wary and difficult to kill.

King Cobra

I believe turkeys will adapt to the environment they are in fairly quickly, pressure from hunters and predators will keep them "on guard " much more if necessary. The particular area you are hunting in will determine how wary the birds are.

As you know that gobbler knows exactly where he should be seeing that hen and when he does not see it alarm bells start going off in his head.

On another note, over time, I believe evolution could come into play with the smarter keener birds surviving. 
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

Paulmyr

It's quite possible if your seeing a down turn in populations in your area the wariness of the gobblers could most likely be as a result of  less inexperienced 2 year olds and more adult  gobblers with a few seasons under their belt across the landscape.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Tom007

Quote from: King Cobra on June 23, 2024, 12:25:04 PMI believe turkeys will adapt to the environment they are in fairly quickly, pressure from hunters and predators will keep them "on guard " much more if necessary. The particular area you are hunting in will determine how wary the birds are.

As you know that gobbler knows exactly where he should be seeing that hen and when he does not see it alarm bells start going off in his head.

On another note, over time, I believe evolution could come into play with the smarter keener birds surviving. 

Agree here Ken, I just see that the birds I'm hunting now seem to be tougher for whatever reason.

Tom007

Quote from: Paulmyr on June 23, 2024, 01:24:14 PMIt's quite possible if your seeing a down turn in populations in your area the wariness of the gobblers could most likely be as a result of of less inexperienced 2 year olds and more adult  gobblers with a few seasons under their belt across the landscape.

Amen brother. Makes a lot of sense....

Paulmyr

Quote from: Tom007 on June 23, 2024, 02:54:44 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on June 23, 2024, 01:24:14 PMIt's quite possible if your seeing a down turn in populations in your area the wariness of the gobblers could most likely be as a result of of less inexperienced 2 year olds and more adult  gobblers with a few seasons under their belt across the landscape.

Amen brother. Makes a lot of sense....

I guess more adult gobblers would be a poor choice of wording, the remaining gobblers available would be more experienced overall might be a better choice.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Greg Massey

Hunting pressure has a lot to do with how turkeys act in my opinion.. Calling pressure doesn't have near the effect like hunting pressure... IMO

Predators do play a part, but I think hunting pressure plays a bigger part.