OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bearded hen?

Started by mountaineer long beard, June 19, 2024, 12:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountaineer long beard

I wonder if you all could help me out. There is some discussion here at work as to whether this is a Jake or a bearded hen. For the record I've seen it gobble and strut if that matters.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Bearded hen and believe it or not they can strut and gobble, there was a large discussion about it here either earlier this year or last last year.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwrLqn2zu2A&t=29s
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

My vote is for bearded hen. Legs have zero "bumps" where spurs should be, at least it looks that way in pics?
"Solo hunter"

Darryl

I say hen. I once had a hen come to my calling in full strut and gobbling, although the gobble was a little off. Also common to see bearded hens in my part of Ontario

KYTurkey07

I'm going with a Jake because of the black tipped feathers. What he lacks in spurs nubs he makes up for with his beard.

Guskie

I thought it had black tipped breast feathers at first glance on my phone. But appears to be a hen after closer look

Bottomland OG

Looks like a bearded hen to me all day long. I have witnessed a hen rio strut before but never gobble. I have a friend who sent me a video 3 years ago he took of one that was doing both, she was an eastern.

GobbleNut

If I had to bet my life on it, I would bet on "bearded hen", but I would be sweating it out.  ;D  :D
That decision would be based on the head appearance alone.  Whether it be a jake or mature gobbler, I have never seen a male turkey without more coloration in the head, especially at least some hints of red.

For me, the beard length itself is not a determining factor in that I have seen a number of hens over the years with beards like that. The thinness of the beard also says "hen turkey" to me. I have seen gobblers with beards that long...but never that thin.

I do agree that the dark body coloration looks more like a male turkey, but when putting all the "considerations" together, I would still go with it being a hen...and hope that bolt of lightning isn't on its way...  ;D  :angel9:

ChesterCopperpot

Sure looks henny in the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Fahs

TrackeySauresRex

I've seen a Hen gobble and strut before.  It was a terrible gobble but she was trying,  :TooFunny:
I'd say Hen.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

mountaineer long beard

A little more info. It just showed up at the mine where I work in the middle of turkey season. It never showed any fear of the equipment or really even people so we assumed it was hatched and raised on a farm somewhere nearby. When it first showed up it would shock gobble at the back up alarm and horn on my front end loader. For a day or two it had a Jake with it but it disappeared. This thing is still hanging around and it follows me around like it's my dog. Strangest thing

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

KYTurkey07

Whatever it is, it's interesting. Thanks for sharing!

WV Flopper

LOL, you'll have a hen and poults following you around in a bit.

That's a hen.

Dougas

It's a hen. A jake would have a more pronounced snood. I have usually 1 to 3 bearded hens in my yard most days. I have hens here in my yard with black tipped feathers with no trace of hen plumage. There is no doubt in my mind that it is a hen.

The hens in may yard strut, gobble and push each other around like a male might do.