OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best tactics/Set up

Started by zelmo1, June 06, 2024, 06:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

My most successful method this year was slow/no movement with a breeder hen and passive jake looking like he was trying to breed her. We did get our share of run and gun birds too. But the pair of decoys and softer calling than I am used to did the trick this year. It's a game of adapting or not being successful. What's the story for you guys? Z

Happy

Same as always, good looks, super elitism, a turkey call, camo, and a shotgun. Oh, and some Tinks turkey scent. Running a drag line of that stuff is so effective that it should be banned.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

ChesterCopperpot

It was a year of softer calling and long patient sits for me. Had to really slow down. And I don't know exactly what I'd call this tactic, but two of the three birds I killed didn't/wouldn't commit until the birds they believed they'd heard had left the area. In other words I had to move away calling, double back, and shut up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KYTurkey07

Quote from: Happy on June 06, 2024, 07:37:46 AMSame as always, good looks, super elitism, a turkey call, camo, and a shotgun. Oh, and some Tinks turkey scent. Running a drag line of that stuff is so effective that it should be banned.

You forgot the squealing hen!  :TooFunny:

Turkeybutt

I think they should make a remotely operated Twerking Turkey decoy. That and the Tinks turkey scent lure and we got a winner!

KYTurkey07

Quote from: Turkeybutt on June 06, 2024, 07:48:59 AMI think they should make a remotely operated Twerking Turkey decoy. That and the Tinks turkey scent lure and we got a winner!

I think the jakes would be tripping over themselves!
  :turkey2:

GobbleNut

Always looking for an edge (since I can't rely on my looks and eliteness..  ;D ), I developed a sure-fire spur-rattling technique during the offseason that I just knew was going to offset my lack of both of the aforementioned qualities. 
...Simply stated, you would not believe how many gobblers did not show up...  ;D  :angel9:

Now, on a more serious note (to answer the question posed), I hunted the same way I always hunt...that is, just using my personal "A. B. C.'s of spring gobbler hunting 101". I just happened to choose the right places and the right gobblers to hunt this spring.  When all is said and done, that component is a lot more important than most hunters are willing to admit.  :D

Greg Massey

Like others, I just used my years of knowledge / experience and hunted pretty much like I always do. I call the turkeys, I don't run after them ... I'm too old for that new style of hunting called running and gunning ... I'm thinking next year, I want to start a YOUTUBE channel, travel to a different state and hunt public ground and get onX hunting maps on my phone. Is this elitness asking for a friend ?

Tom007

For me, set-up decisions is the number one thing that can make or break your hunt. This year I was lucky enough to make mostly the right decisions regarding set-ups. Looking back, If I didn't make the moves on the birds the way I did, I would have gotten skunked. Every decision required moving on a gobbling bird. Had some that just wouldn't commit/leave their comfort zone. This caused me to change positions which resulted in successful hunts. Some years, these decisions just don't work out. I learned a tremendous amount about set-ups this season for sure!
"Solo hunter"

Yoder409

Mock scrapes near dusting areas or strut zones.  ;)

Either spray 'em down with Tink's Dr. Tom's lure or just take a leak on it yourself to get it started.

If you scrape it....they will come. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Happy

Quote from: Greg Massey on June 06, 2024, 10:27:59 AMLike others, I just used my years of knowledge / experience and hunted pretty much like I always do. I call the turkeys, I don't run after them ... I'm too old for that new style of hunting called running and gunning ... I'm thinking next year, I want to start a YOUTUBE channel, travel to a different state and hunt public ground and get onX hunting maps on my phone. Is this elitness asking for a friend ?
Greg,
There have to be more details before determining eliteness. Are you going to walk in super slow mo through mud puddles? Are you gonna take super cool pictures with your hat pulled low, covering most of your face? Are you going to use cool terms like "running" when referring to equipment that you use? These are just a few off the top of my head. I could go on....

Yoder409

Quote from: Happy on June 06, 2024, 11:33:35 AM
Quote from: Greg Massey on June 06, 2024, 10:27:59 AMLike others, I just used my years of knowledge / experience and hunted pretty much like I always do. I call the turkeys, I don't run after them ... I'm too old for that new style of hunting called running and gunning ... I'm thinking next year, I want to start a YOUTUBE channel, travel to a different state and hunt public ground and get onX hunting maps on my phone. Is this elitness asking for a friend ?
Greg,
There have to be more details before determining eliteness. Are you going to walk in super slow mo through mud puddles? Are you gonna take super cool pictures with your hat pulled low, covering most of your face? Are you going to use cool terms like "running" when referring to equipment that you use? These are just a few off the top of my head. I could go on....

You COULD.........but do you WANNA ??   ::)

We just sorta got THAT fire put out.    :popcorn: 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Greg Massey

Greg,

Now Happy... I can't give all my hunting secrets away on this forum, if I do, sure enough someone will do as I say and start a YouTube channel before I get my channel up and running and take all my subscribers. You will just have to tune in to my YouTube channel to see what all I have planned for the future... :fud:

Greg Massey

Quote from: Yoder409 on June 06, 2024, 12:36:28 PM
Greg,

You COULD.........but do you WANNA ??  ::)

We just sorta got THAT fire put out.    :popcorn: 

Yoder ... I'm still trying to get my Prostaff shirt from you like tal got... Now this spring season I sent you a picture of a Yoder holster with a dead gobbler. Doesn't this count? So I'm still watching the mail for my Prostaff shirt, I'm sure it's going to arrive any day..Fire on the mountain run boy run... LOL... 

Happy

In all honesty, I keep my hunting simple. I use the same basic equipment every hunt and the same tactics. The only thing I adjust for is how the gobbler is feeling while I am hunting him. I don't care what trends I have seen or what i think they should be doing. Last I checked, the turkeys didn't care. The basic plan stays the same. Some finer details may be adjusted on the fly