OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mission Accomplished - 1926 Lefever Gobbler

Started by cuppednlocked, May 12, 2024, 09:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuppednlocked

I've always wanted to kill a turkey with an old SxS. For this project I bought an inexpensive 12ga Lefever Nitro Special off GB last year. The price was right because the forearm was splitting. If my memory serves me correctly the serial number puts the gun at 1926. I made the repair and waited for turkey season.

My buddies and I drew a gameland permit several weeks ago and made it happen that Fri evening.

The first evening (Thursday) was uneventful. The WRC had a significant portion of the property logged at the start of the week. It appeared that the loggers had turned the machines off right before we arrived that afternoon.  All of the spots I planned to hunt were void of standing trees.

The next morning (Friday) I headed to a different section that had been logged and planted 5-6 years ago. I got this bird fired up and gobbling ~6:30am but he worked off deeper in the swamp after giving me a farewell gobble. Based on the layout I knew almost exactly where he was roosted.

After dodging some thunderstorms early afternoon, I snuck in ~4:30pm and got tucked back into the swamp close to his roost. Sometime close to 6:30pm I thought I heard a gobble reply to my calling. 30 min later he was standing in front of me at 25 yards.

Triple beards (11", 9", 8")
Spurs 1-7/16", 1-3/8"
An ounce shy of 22#

I believe I will hunt exclusively with this SxS in 2026 to celebrate the century mark. In the meantime I need to decide what the next project/mission will be.

Greg Massey

Congrats on your gobbler with the old side x side ...

Bill

Congratulations on that nice bird.

Maybe the picture is deceptive, but it looks like your nitro has good, straight stock dimensions?  So many old shotguns, especially American doubles, are impractical to shoot as-is due to excessive comb drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuppednlocked

Quote from: Bill on May 13, 2024, 01:31:47 PMit looks like your nitro has good, straight stock dimensions?

This Lefever fits nicely in regards to drop.  It shoulders really well.

Tclipse01

Congrats on a great bird, them some spurs.

Tom007

Wow, a real dandy with that Vintage beauty...Congrats
"Solo hunter"

JeffC

Congrats on a great Tom with your project gun!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

10th Legionaire

Less is more

GregGwaltney

Very cool old gun and beautiful turkey, congrats!
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

crow

Very cool, good job with your old gun.  Nice hooks too

backforty

Great bird with a cool old gun. Sounds like the next step is a percussion double.
Print by Madison, on Flickr

cuppednlocked

Quote from: backforty on May 18, 2024, 01:52:30 AMGreat bird with a cool old gun. Sounds like the next step is a percussion double.

I've been following those on GB for some time.  Just haven't made that leap yet.