OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Scratch box strikers

Started by Alabama556, May 11, 2024, 12:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alabama556

Can someone recommend some different woods for strikers that I can experiment with my scratch boxes.

I was going to order some small pieces to try but all I can get locally is oak, pine, and cedar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

callmakerman

I love running a scratch box and for me roofing slate, osage and mac ebony are my favorites for a striker. The slate being number 1

Alabama556

Thanks. I have not thought about roofing slate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shatcher

Quote from: Alabama556 on May 11, 2024, 12:53:15 PMCan someone recommend some different woods for strikers that I can experiment with my scratch boxes.

I was going to order some small pieces to try but all I can get locally is oak, pine, and cedar

Where can you get wider strikers?

shatcher

Quote from: Alabama556 on May 11, 2024, 01:26:35 PMThanks. I have not thought about roofing slate

Where can you find a single piece of roofing slate? 

callmakerman

Quote from: Alabama556 on May 11, 2024, 01:26:35 PMThanks. I have not thought about roofing slate

Quote from: shatcher on May 15, 2024, 01:48:57 PM
Quote from: Alabama556 on May 11, 2024, 12:53:15 PMCan someone recommend some different woods for strikers that I can experiment with my scratch boxes.

I was going to order some small pieces to try but all I can get locally is oak, pine, and cedar

Where can you get wider strikers?
How wide and what material?

callmakerman

Quote from: shatcher on May 15, 2024, 01:59:44 PM

Where can you find a single piece of roofing slate? 
What size are you looking for. I bought a good bit of it a few years ago. You need a tile saw to cut. You can buy it on ebay if you have the saw to cut it.

Alabama556

I got it from a friend who is a contractor. I assume I will have to cut it

callmakerman

Quote from: Alabama556 on May 15, 2024, 06:23:54 PMI got it from a friend who is a contractor. I assume I will have to cut it

Yes you will. Maybe it can be done on a bandsaw though I wouldn't know. I bought a cheap tile saw knowing that I would use it more than a few times.

Ranman

I have made strikers out of black walnut that sound great. Going to try slate.

Alabama556

I have some black limba and zebra wood pieces that I am picking up Saturday. They are 4 inch wide and 3/4 thick. I was going to rip them to 2 inches wide.