turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting pressure

Started by 2flyfish4, May 05, 2024, 07:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

Went to local celebrity's birthday party last night and met up with a lot of friends/turkey hunters. The story was the same for all. NH, Mass, VT, Maine turkey sightings and encounters were down. Not saying there wasn't any birds or successes. Just overall less birds worked and seen. Most of the crowd I was in have some private land and that is the only saving grace. Public/ common land has been flooded with hunters recently. The hunter numbers have gone up sharply and steadily the last 10 years. Covid years the hunter numbers skyrocketed.  The youtube hunters really advertised for turkey hunting and it has been " successful" in getting more people into it. Deerhunt hit it on the nose. It's a game of adaptability and stubbornness now.  :z-twocents:  Z

joey46

When all accept the times have changed and realize that YouTube isn't going anywhere these would be better discussions.  The continually whining is getting old.  I long ago accepted that quota hunts on public land was going to happen.  For a quality public land hunt in Florida it's a no brainer.

Dougas

I can understand how you guys are feeling when you talk about less turkeys and more hunters, only it is with deer in my area. Deer hunting in my area went from seeing 50 to 100 deer a day to maybe 15 in a hunting season and from 20 or so hunters a season to 50 to 100 hunters a day. Adaptability and a willingness to up your game is paramount in achieving a successful hunt.

silvestris

The fine old turkey hunter who got me started over fifty years ago said "There aren't enough turkeys for every one, keep your mouth shut".  And for the most part, I have.  And the fact that most haven't is the root of the problem.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

arkrem870

Quote from: silvestris on June 06, 2024, 09:34:20 PMThe fine old turkey hunter who got me started over fifty years ago said "There aren't enough turkeys for every one, keep your mouth shut".  And for the most part, I have.  And the fact that most haven't is the root of the problem.

That's the way it used to be.

Now a few burn everything to the ground for likes from strange men and we are suppose to not only tolerate it but celebrate it.

No sir. Not happening
Utter ridiculousness. Hunt for you...period

LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

deerhunt1988

Quote from: silvestris on June 06, 2024, 09:34:20 PMThe fine old turkey hunter who got me started over fifty years ago said "There aren't enough turkeys for every one, keep your mouth shut".  And for the most part, I have.  And the fact that most haven't is the root of the problem.
Amen. And I very much appreciate your generation that taught the select few of mine whom were willing to listen!

Paulmyr

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on June 06, 2024, 10:49:11 PM
Amen. And I very much appreciate your generation that taught the select few of mine whom were willing to listen!

Coming from the guy who hunted 12 states in one season chasing the super slam. Apparently it's OK for you but not for anyone else. Seems to me super slammers are a big part of the problem. Nearly all the young hunters I've talked to recently are in the process of obtaining this goal!
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Paulmyr on June 09, 2024, 12:43:09 PM
Quote from: deerhunt1988 on June 06, 2024, 10:49:11 PM

Coming from the guy who hunted 12 states in one season chasing the super slam. Apparently it's OK for you but not for anyone else. Seems to me super slammers are a big part of the problem. Nearly all the young hunters I've talked to recently are in the process of obtaining this goal!

I only needed 2 states to complete my super slam. :icon_thumright:  Everything in between and after that is bonus. I take at least 2 weeks off each spring to turkey hunt across the US to extend my season. I'm 35 and have been traveling out of state since 2006. I'm not your typical newly traveling "super slammer". Anyone that knows me will vouch folks like me ARE NOT part of the problem. Silvestris taught me to keep my mouth shut when I was still a teenager. Folks NOT keeping their mouths shut is why we are losing turkey hunting opportunities at an alarming rate all across the country. If folks want to travel, that is fine and dandy. They have the right just like me. However this new era of social media has a lot of folks traveling and turkey hunting for the wrong reasons. And many will resort to pathetic levels of desperation to "check" that state off. So yes, I agree. Some of the new super slammers are part of the problem. On the bright side, its more glory seeking YouTubers and traveling hunters for you to have on your podcast!

arkrem870

Everybody you talk to is a super slammer now and they are all trying to trade pins/spots.

Big networks swapping and burning spots.

Loose lips sink ships. I'm just hunting turkeys and trying to be left alone.
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

Paulmyr

Sorry the podcast is no longer because it seemed that's where it was heading and I wasn't OK with it.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Paulmyr

Quote from: Paulmyr on June 09, 2024, 02:34:14 PMSorry the podcast is no longer because it seemed that's where it was heading and I wasn't OK with it.

Ill add this, at least those guys are willing to put thier names behind what they say and not hide in anonymity.

I'm still waiting for Shane Simpsons rebuttal that was recorded last year to your Turkey Hunter Podcast episode  but it don't look like its coming

Old Swamper

Usual suspects on the public ground I hunt. Mainly locals, with a handful of travelers, youtube/slammer types mixed in early. They all seem to be around the same age, and dress like that Pinhoti Pinhead. Real easy to spot, even before you see their tags. I don't pay them any attention, literally. 99% of them are total googans, and end up going back where they came from without killin anything. Mainly here to educate, the turkeys that is ;D

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Paulmyr on June 09, 2024, 10:32:34 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on June 09, 2024, 02:34:14 PMSorry the podcast is no longer because it seemed that's where it was heading and I wasn't OK with it.

Ill add this, at least those guys are willing to put thier names behind what they say and not hide in anonymity.

I'm still waiting for Shane Simpsons rebuttal that was recorded last year to your Turkey Hunter Podcast episode  but it don't look like its coming

Hide in anonymity? LOTS of people on this forum know a lot about me. I've used the same handle on forums for the past 20 years. Yeah, I've went on a podcast "anonymous" due to not wanting to cause any tension in my professional career but PLENTY of folks know exactly who I am. A career that is dedicated to ensuring quality public land hunting and bountiful turkey for future generations. Wish all of your podcast guests had the same mind set.

NYturkey

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on May 06, 2024, 12:38:03 PMAs a fellow on here likes to say, we just have to adapt and accept that this is the new era of turkey hunting! Isn't it lovely!

That's where I am at with it. It is what it is. I'm not going to stop doing what I love, so the only option is too accept it and adapt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shiloh

Hang on there Mr. Silvestris.......didn't that turkey hunting buddy of yours write a turkey hunting book that sold quite a few copies and likely inspired many young hunters to try to add turkeys to their specialty??  That hardly seems like he was keeping it quiet??  I love the old ways of not telling anyone anything, but those days are over.  It will get worse and many of the Johnny Come Lately's will drop off when their bride drops their first child, and they will take up crappie fishing.  Y'all just hang tight and don't get the scowers over it.  I can't wait for DH88 to have 3 kids;)