OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

As 12ga goes, anything out there now better than a benelli Nova or Supernove?

Started by DMTJAGER, May 05, 2024, 04:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle_Ott

I'd take an 870 over a nova/super nova day any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

highball

Quote from: b wilt on May 05, 2024, 09:03:50 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on May 05, 2024, 08:43:07 PMIf he's set on wanting a 12 pump I would recommend him getting one of the NEW Remington Fieldmaster pumps.. That way he will have more options for add-ons in the future... If I were buying one for myself I would buy this gun also..
Second This.
Best option out there

James gang

Traded in my sp Remington 870 when the novas came out then sold the nova and got another Remington no comparison imo

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ChiefBubba

Quote from: soILstrutter on May 07, 2024, 11:59:34 AMI have an 870 supermag manufactured in the early 2010's. I know its no wingmaster, and I know people gripe about those years, but the gun flat out shoots a great pattern with a LB choke and 3 1/2" 5's. It has a 26" barrel, and has been extremely reliable for the last 10 years. For a while it was my do-everything gun: trap, doves, waterfowl, turkeys. Now it has a FF3 mounted and is my dedicated turkey gun. It has fired a ton of shells and keeps on performing flawlessly. I have held the nova and supernova and they seemed big and clunky to me. I have owned a synthetic turkey Mossberg 535 and it felt like a cheap plastic toy so I quickly sold it for this 870. Just my personal preference, but an 870 will be hard to beat.

I have the same gun. Flat out the best all around gun I have. Shoots a great turkey pattern. I just don't trust I can pump it reliably. Bubba

10th Legionaire

I'm another 870 fan boy. I've got six of them in various set ups right now. They all shoot lights out and are as reliable as a bag of hammers.

I have not held or shot any of the post bankruptcy ones but have heard good things as above. He could either go that route or find an older used one and tart it up the way he likes.

As for the Nova I've never shot one but have held/shouldered a couple and they just don't blow my skirt up. I don't care for the looks (personal opinion that is totally subjective) and they never felt good in my hands and didn't come to my shoulder right.

Whatever he winds up with hopefully it makes him happy and gets him hunting. :happy0064:
Less is more

Kyle_Ott

Quote from: 10th Legionaire on May 22, 2024, 07:37:29 AMI'm another 870 fan boy. I've got six of them in various set ups right now. They all shoot lights out and are as reliable as a bag of hammers.

I have not held or shot any of the post bankruptcy ones but have heard good things as above. He could either go that route or find an older used one and tart it up the way he likes.

As for the Nova I've never shot one but have held/shouldered a couple and they just don't blow my skirt up. I don't care for the looks (personal opinion that is totally subjective) and they never felt good in my hands and didn't come to my shoulder right.

Whatever he winds up with hopefully it makes him happy and gets him hunting. :happy0064:

Honestly, I've never held any (insert Ithaca 37, Mossberg 835/500, Winchester Model 12, Benelli Nova, Browning BPS, Charles Daly, etc) that did it for me like an 870.  I've got 4 of them that were made between 93 and 2003 and they're all solid.