turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Truck Purchase

Started by Gobble Nole, July 19, 2011, 05:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble Nole

I am thinking about getting a new or slightly used full size truck, I currently drive a Tacoma with an ever growing family.  My son is due any day now and we already have the little girl, extra room would be nice. 

Just looking for opinions on full size Chevrolet, GMC, or Ford F-150 or 250.  I don't really want to own a Dodge, I am just not impressed by them.  My favorite so far is the F-250 with a diesel V-8.  You can program them for economy or performance, they ride pretty good, nice looking, and have good room. 

The new ride needs to have 4wd, 4 door, i would prefer leather, but am not hung up on the bells and whistles.  I am looking for something that would last a long time.  And I am scared of the new gasoline regulations with the E-15 coming, diesel might be the safer option. 

Just looking for opinions of current owners or maybe mechanics that know the vehicles intimately.   

Thanks for the help...

GN

stinkpickle

I wouldn't worry about E-15 as long as you get a flex-fuel vehicle.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I have an 07 F250 Lariat with the FX4 package and I love it.

That being said, if you're considering a diesel from the 2004-2008 vintage you're going to have to pump at least an additional $,1500-2000 into the truck in the form of an EGR delete kit, high pressure oil cooler replacement, stc fitting, a chip to shut off the code the truck will throw once the EGR has been deleted, and you'll likely want to put in an engine coolant filtration system since the gold ford coolant has a tendency to leave silicates/sandy granules in the system.

Overall, they are great trucks but the 6.0 Ford diesels can be riddled with problems mostly doe to EGR cooler failure.  The failure of that component can lead to blown head gaskets, or total catastrophic engine failure.  Consequently, you will certainly want to make the necessary and moderately costly upgrades to circumnavigate such issues.

My commuter car is a Toyota Echo.  I love it and it chases turkeys when I'm hunting close to home. 

That being said, there is NO substitue for a big truck.

savduck

I would stay Toyota, but if you must change....go FORD. Im not a big Chevy fan, but I do know some fellas that have had some good ones. Dodges suck.
Georgia Boy

sugarray

I really like the new 2011 Ford F150 with the EcoBoost engine.  I don't have any first hand knowledge from owners on real life fuel economy.  I love a 4 door and the F150 has the most room.  Also, can get a standard 6.5 foot bed that you cannot with the other 1/2 ton trucks.

If you want a diesel then Cummins is the way to go in my book.  Long history of reliability.

I like the looks of the Dodge the best, but my Dakota has had some issues.  Like the covering of the steering wheel coming off.  It is a 2009.  The catalytic converter has had to be replaced and the one heated seat doesn't always work.

I also do not like Chevys not at all, but my best friend loves them.  I think you will get a good truck no matter what.  My thoughts are that if you don't need the diesel to pull with, then I don't see the added benefit of a small mileage/longevity gain vs the cost over the life.

OLE RASPY

Quote from: savduck on July 19, 2011, 07:02:17 PM
I would stay Toyota, but if you must change....go FORD. Im not a big Chevy fan, but I do know some fellas that have had some good ones. Dodges suck.
x2

savduck

Quote from: sugarray on July 19, 2011, 07:14:56 PM
I really like the new 2011 Ford F150 with the EcoBoost engine.  I don't have any first hand knowledge from owners on real life fuel economy.  I love a 4 door and the F150 has the most room.  Also, can get a standard 6.5 foot bed that you cannot with the other 1/2 ton trucks.

If you want a diesel then Cummins is the way to go in my book.  Long history of reliability.

I like the looks of the Dodge the best, but my Dakota has had some issues.  Like the covering of the steering wheel coming off.  It is a 2009.  The catalytic converter has had to be replaced and the one heated seat doesn't always work.

I also do not like Chevys not at all, but my best friend loves them.  I think you will get a good truck no matter what.  My thoughts are that if you don't need the diesel to pull with, then I don't see the added benefit of a small mileage/longevity gain vs the cost over the life.

I got a Dodge story for you when you want to hear it.
Georgia Boy

hookedspur

Quote from: sugarray on July 19, 2011, 07:14:56 PM

:agreed: 100 % :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Kylongspur88

I've been looking too. Not serious about buying yet but just looking at full size trucks. I like Chevy and Ford and have driven both. My last big truck was a 2500 dodge, but if that truck don't work for you, you wont be able to keep it filled up. That Cummins was sweet, and I did a lot of work to that truck, but the truck itself nickle and dimmed me to death. I wont own another diesel unless I'm going to be pulling something heavier than a horse trailer on a regular basis and for any amount of distance.

chipper

My last 2 trucks have been Dodge 4x4's I bought a 1997 new and drove it till 2003, W
198,000 miles later the only thing other than genral maintenance I had to do was get new rotars because of warping,I bought a 2004 Quad cab and the only trouble I've had from it is the CD player quit working, I can tell you a story about 3 new Chevys.

West Augusta

I am on my 4th Chevy Silverado Z71 and haven't had any issues with any of them.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

dirt road ninja

I've am on my 3rd F -250 diesel since 1999 and none of them rode good. None turned very well and they all stink on mpg. I had a Chip (Bullydog) installed in the first one and it help with mpg, acceleration and towing. I have only be stranded once and it was in the second one I had, blew out the rear end. I do drive thru standing water (most of the time saltwater), dirt roads, and limestone on a regular basis. I also put close to 1000 miles a week on my truck. The last two truck have been company trucks, so I can't complain, but I would love to get into a 4 door F-150.
Also they perform terrible off road and are much more prone to front end issue's then the 1/2 ton's. It is sometimes hard to find a parking spot with the 250's, and going thru a drive thru is a problem from time to time.

doublegobble

I drive a new Tundra and wouldn't change a thing. Awesome truck (with the exception of gas mileage  :o )
Red meat isn't bad for you, fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

honker22

I'm on my 2nd Tundra... didn't want to chance it on the other brands... so far I've had zero problems.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Gobble Nole

Yeah, I figured I would get a mixture of opinions. 

I will be towing some things but for the most part it will be boats, a tractor, and maybe some four wheelers.  From what it sounds like the recommendation would be either a F-150 or a Tundra. 

I did not realize the extra maintenance that was required with a 250 diesel, just have not owned one to know about it.