turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Iron Sights!!!!!

Started by Trevor2, July 17, 2011, 04:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor2

I know this has to do more with deer than turkey but hey this is the general forum right? lol One of the recent posts caught and redirected my attention. All these new rifles come factory without iron sight. Now I'm just 22 but I grew and learned how to use iron sights, until I bought my own rifle two years ago. I have buddies who brag about making these miraculous shots, and my response is always the same....Can you make a clean kill at 100 yards without a scope? Didnt think so, shut up. It really bugs the h*ll out of me that all these ppl call themselves great shots but cant shoot iron sights, which just ticks me off more about the new guns not coming factory with iron sights. My dad always told me that if i could shoot iron sights then I could shoot a scope, just the same as if you can drive a stick you can drive an automatic. And I thank him all the time for taking the extra time to teach me how to shoot iron sights instead of taking the easy way out and saying put the crosshairs on the vitals and squeeze. Does anyone else agree or am I hopelessly venting alone lol.
Strutstopper

LX_Trkyhntr

I too learned to shoot with iron sights, I was an adult before I ever had a scope on my rifle.

I too learned to drive a stick first.
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

socalturkeyman

I Agree IN FULL!!! I laugh when ppl swear they cant shoot deer more than 200 yards. When out west, the average deer shot is 350 to 400 yards. And I've been around old timers that dont even think twice about taking that shot with Iron sights with an old 30/30. Now those guys are a dying breed my friend. Heck I know I can't take a shot like that unless its with a 30-06 or .308 and conditions are perfect lol.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

Trevor2

Model 94 Winchester 30-30. What I learned to shoot with and still use unless I'm using my 30-06 with a scope but would not have changed a thing when it came to learning to use iron sights.
Strutstopper

hookedspur

I learned on an old J.C. Higgens single shot 22
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

redarrow

All I got to say,and I say it with respect, Enjoy your eyes while you got em youngster.

Hognutz

It really makes no difference to me what kind of sights a guy uses to aim his gun. Whatever gets the job done. Is someone who uses a scope, exclusively, a poorer shot because of it? Is he less of a man? I think not. Sooner or later, a scope will be the only way you will be able to shoot a rifle, so why wait until your eyesight demands it? Most people do start with open sights, because that is what's on most B.B. guns. It is what's on most .22's. Learning to shoot with open sights is a good thing, but I don't think classifying them as wussies, if they don't, is as logical as you make it sound..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Kylongspur88

All my guns are scoped now. One reason is law school has wrecked my eyes. Another is the fact that it allows me to make better shots, even at closer ranges. A low power scope on my 30-30 was just the ticket. I can pick through brush easier and shoot in low light in the woods. I swore I would never scope my muzzleloader, but I realize now that I was really limiting myself.

chatterbox

All my guns from my turkey gun right up to my .308 are scoped. Just personal preference.

OLE RASPY

I also learned to shoot iron sights.But now i have scopes on all my guns except my turkey rig (i refuse to put a scope on a shotgun,shouldnt need a scope on shotgun,unless its a slug gun, just my opinion),theres alot of people that do on there shotguns i dont think no less of them its just my personal prefence.As far as rifles i learned with a 30/30 with iron sights and used it up until getting .270 and it had a scope on it.But i still can shoot iron sights. :icon_thumright:

stinkpickle

If a feller can shoot well with a scope, then he should have no problem doing the same with iron sights...unless his eyes can't focus the three points.  A scope won't magically stabilize your hold, steady your trigger pull, or make the bullet fly any straighter.  Most iron sights are junk anyway.

lightsoutcalls

I have to go with the "failing eyes" crowd.  I can remember sitting on a creekbank a few years back staring down the barrel of a Marlin 336 at a young buck feeding in the national forest where I hunt.  He had no clue I was there and was in no hurry to move through the woods.  Arkansas had just passed a "3 point rule" where a buck has to have at least 3 points on one side of his rack to be legal.  At around 60 yards away, I could not tell if he had an eye tine that would make the third point on his rack. (Don't even start with the "you can't grow big deer if you shoot the little ones" argument... this is public land that get's pressured.)  I stared through the semi-buckhorn sights at that deer trying to grow an eye tine out of thin air... hoping he was a legal deer.  After probably 5 minutes of looking down the barrel, I could feel obvious eye strain.  I pullled my head off the stock and looked around.  My eyes would not focus.  It was like they were crossed.  I have to admit that I was quite worried I had done permanent damage to my eyes.  As I could never determine with certainty that he had an eye tine, he walked.  That experience was enough for me to realize the value of a scope on a rifle.  I use fiber optics on my turkey gun, but my muzzleloader and rifles are scoped.  My .357 is at the gun shop now being drilled and tapped to be able to hunt with a 2x scope.  My eyes aren't what they used to be, but I'll be dogged if that is going to put me on the couch during hunting season.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

mossy835

I too learned with iron sights, BB gun, pellet rifle, Remington pump 22 and an old Winchester 30 - 30 lever action long barrel. All that is left is the 30 -30 and I cant shoot it anymore with open sights but I will not ruin it with a scope. Deer rifle and one of two shotguns are scoped. I think the lack of using iron sights to start with is a short change like only being able to drive an automatic transmission, IMHO. Good post.

:fud: :fud: :fud:

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: LX_Trkyhntr on July 17, 2011, 04:36:15 PM
I too learned to shoot with iron sights, I was an adult before I ever had a scope on my rifle.
I too learned to drive a stick first.
x2 :icon_thumright:

surehuntsalot

I won't buy a gun if it don't have iron sights on it
it's not the harvest,it's the chase