turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Iron Sights!!!!!

Started by Trevor2, July 17, 2011, 04:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Foolery

I learned to shoot on irons, only shot them for years.

That said, the rifles that I use a lot all wear scopes, some are 1-3x20, 2-7x33 or the occasional 3-9x40.  I do not understand why it makes a difference how I make my shots so long as I make them.  I have never looked at someone and said you know you suck, get a scope on that rifle!

I have a place at my house that I can stretch out to 620yds, it is much more enjoyable to hit the steel with scoped rifle at 620yds than it is to miss with open sights.  I know, I tried it.   I work my loads up for accuracy and it is much easier for me to know I am being accurate with a scoped rifle, I guess that means I can't shoot.  

Even my lever rifles have scopes, eek!

Muzzleloaders

Bolt rifles too

stinkpickle

Y'all are wussies.  I'm an instinctive shooter.  ;)

RutnNStrutn

True. But we don't miss!!!! :lol: :z-guntootsmiley: :toothy12: :fud: :smiley-char092:

Tom Foolery

Quote from: stinkpickle on July 21, 2011, 11:03:57 PM
Y'all are wussies.  I'm an instinctive shooter.  ;)

I seen them do that on tv once, they had a rifle with no sights or a scope, just a slick barrel.  They were picking off people like crqazy at long range.  I tried it and I couldn't hit anything, my instincts suck!

:z-guntootsmiley:

WyoHunter

I shot my first buck with a Winchester Model 1886 in .45-70 using iron sights. That was my Uncle John's rifle. When I got my first rifle a Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 the first thing I did was put a Bushnell 3X on it. Remember that this was in 1959 before variables. The old saying "you can only shoot as well as you can see" is so true. And yes both my turkey shotguns wear scopes! 
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

drenalinld

I learned to shoot with iron sights and used to have really good eyes and thought I could shoot as good as anyone I ran accross. My eyesight is still better than 20/20, but not nearly as good as it used to be. Scopes allow me to be a better shot.

The important thing is new hunters learn to shoot and enjoy the outdoors. The equipment used is ever changing. There was a generation that thought using a lever gun with center fire cartridges was soft rather than a flint lock. I haven't rifle hunted for deer in over five years. I do it with a bow. Some hunt with recurves or long bows and might think my modern bow is a sissy way.

I say it doesn't matter what weapon you use, if it's legal and you enjoy the outdoors, more power to you.

lightsoutcalls

Tom Foolery, nice 1895!  With that kind of power, you gotta be sure not to get too close to that scope.  :)  I've got a nice crease in my right eyebrow from putting a scope too far back on a SMLE. 

My Dan Wesson .357 just got drilled and tapped for a scope mount this week.  These are supposed to be some of the most accurate handguns made, but the sights on mine moved enough to make accuracy impossible (also noted by the gunsmith that drilled the gun).  I plan on mounting a 2x scope on it and hope to get a chance to break it in this fall. 
I also have a Marlin model 336 in .35 Remington waiting for one more payment in the back room of a local gunshop.  This one will be topped off with a Simmons 3x9 that I took off a .30-.30 I had on loan for several years. 
I have never taken a shot over 100 yards on any game.  The places I have to hunt seldom produce shots longer than that.  If a scope helps me make quicker, cleaner kills and make identifying game as legal easier, that's all the reason I need to use them. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Tom Foolery

lightsoutcalls, thanks for the comments.  I really like the little 1895G.  I have several loads from 405gr Cast at around 1200fps to 350gr jacketed at near 2000fps.  It's wearing an m8 Leupold 2.5x20mm, it has plenty of eye relief.  The Marlin 336 with the deer is a .35 Remington.  It wears a Weaver v3 1-3x20mm.