OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

It’s time for new one’s..

Started by Bottomland OG, April 03, 2024, 09:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bottomland OG

What's a good pair of lace up hiking/hunting boots. I put a lot of miles on my boots. I hunt mountains mostly. I have a pair of under armor leather lace ups that I've had for years. They don't make anything like them anymore but they were good ones. I've tried a few pair of different kinds since and my main gripe is they get you feet wet even walking through wet grass. Does anyone know of a 8" high boot thats light and doesn't get you wet?

btomlin

I like my Lowa renegades gtx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

357MAGNOLE

I don't think that exist. I got a pair of boots last spring and first trip out feet got wet. I was looking for suggestions much like you wanting a good 8" or so boot I can run and gun in and not get super soggy feet down here in our river bottoms. I found recommendations for Kenetrek boot gaiters. I'd never heard of them but figured my boots are still newish id hate to drop $200-400 for some of these recommendations. I got the gaiters from Scheels last week and have been out a couple times now and went through water I had no business going through before and came out dry. The way they work it keeps water from going up over the tongue or through the eyelet for the boot string. They also keep your pants dry and from wicking moisture to your socks. I'm really impressed with mine.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Brinkcalls

I've had a pair of Irish setter elk trackers for like 5 or so years now. They have been a great boot. I apply mink oil liberally every few weeks, more if I'm hunting a lot and that really combats the moisture. I can stand in water for a little period of time and they won't get my feet wet. They've held up great. Comfortable right off the bat. Only thing I did was changed the insole.

cwhitfield96

Schnees timberlines out of Montana check them out

Old Timer

Marc

Depends on your feet... And where and what type of terrain you are hunting.

My turkey boots are also upland hunting boots.  I am often hunting steep and rugged terrain (for both upland and turkey)...  I have narrow feet with a high arch...  I try on boots till I find some that fit...

Rubber knee-highs would be a terrible choice...  Shorter hiking boots do not give the ankle support and wear much faster than good hunting boots...

I need somewhat aggressive soles, ankle-high, gortex, and uninsulated...  My current boots are Browning boots...  Looking at some Danner boots next.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Tom007

Danner Vital. Light, waterproof, more room in toe area. They nailed it.
"Solo hunter"

aclawrence

I like Zamberlans. Just find a good high quality boot that fits your foot. Throw on some gaiters and go. Also keep your boots clean and treat the leather often.

kytrkyhntr

Crispi Valdres GTX I've had them for 5 years.
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

cgarner1

I've been real satisfied with the danner mountain 600 boots so far. They are comfortable enough where I actually wear them to work sometimes. I prefer them over my Lowas by far

Gooserbat

Find something that fits your feet and research quality.  Im a crispi fan but there's other good ones.  Just remember fit is everything.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

BDeal

I bought a pair of $400 plus dollar Crispis last year and honestly like my $140 LaCrosse Atlas much better. That said they are only a year old now and who knows how long they will stay waterproof. I loved Danner Pronghorns as well but went through a pair every year or two. They just dont hold up.

Bottomland OG

I appreciate all the information you all shared. I guess I will just have to make my mind up now.
Thanks again.

C-Train

I have had many different boots over the years. I was also always disappointed with the wet feet. 5 years ago I bought a pair of Kenetrek hardscrabble hikers.  they are the best boot I have ever had.  my feet stay dry no matter what,  even during pheasant hunting in the snow here in MN. My feet have stayed dry crossing streams in Montana with my kenetrek's and a pair of gators.   I love them so much, last year I bought a pair of Mountain extereme's as well.  The hardscrabble hikers are a lower boot and the mountain extremes are taller.  they are spendy but by far the best boot I have ever had.