Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

At the end of the day which situation would make you happier?

Started by King Cobra, April 03, 2024, 09:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Cobra

1. While Spring Gobbler hunting you kill a nice mature bird.

2. While Spring Gobbler hunting you come upon nice mature bird caught up in some old fencing and you set it free.
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

Number 1

The reason why not number 2 is the mature bird could already be dead from being hung up in the fence.

Vintage

Turkeybutt

GobbleNut

Definitely would do a #2.  ...I would probably weight him and take beard and spur measurements for the contest...just in case I felt a need to give him a day or two to recover and then go back and try to get him "fair and square".   ;D :D

NOmad

#1... While I would love the opportunity to see a mature bird in distress like that and set it free, that is not why I am out there. Gobblers and other animals get hung up and die like that all the time unfortunately, just seems to be part of a landscape with so many fences and so much trash. Hunting and killing one the right way, to me personally, is the most honorable way for one to go.

High plains drifter

I'd choose number 2.It always feels good saving a bird or animal. I don't hunt big game,and I don't want to be associated with those rubes anyway. I go to archery these days,after 30 years of turkey hunting. I will still take the shotgun at times.Ive gotten good at it,pretty much self taught, although I did learn from some people, but they didn't know it.The biggest thing is, respect the eye sight and hearing of a turkey!!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Yoder409

It's not every day you get to save a wid animal from a horrible demise.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

kytrkyhntr

don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

richard black

ChiefBubba

Quote from: NOmad on April 03, 2024, 10:01:56 AM
#1... While I would love the opportunity to see a mature bird in distress like that and set it free, that is not why I am out there. Gobblers and other animals get hung up and die like that all the time unfortunately, just seems to be part of a landscape with so many fences and so much trash. Hunting and killing one the right way, to me personally, is the most honorable way for one to go.

You're absolutely right Mother nature is very cruel. It's never a Disney movie. But both would work for me. But I'd probably get spurred pretty bad doing it. Bubba

WV Flopper