OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How do you explain the concept of TSS

Started by King Cobra, April 02, 2024, 06:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Swamper

Real easy for me to explain. Most ALL who shoot it, including most who have posted on this thread, despite what they may claim, are doing so for the sole purpose of "attempting" to kill turkeys at 50+yards. I shoot 12ga lead, because I am still man enough to tote around a 7lb gun. I am an ethical turkey hunter and will keep my shots within 40 steps.

Spitten and drummen

Makes sub gauge shotguns as lethal if not more than a 12 gauge.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

RutnNStrutn

This is a hilarious post. Whether it's about TSS, blinds, decoys, reaping, fanning, killing a gobbler you didn't call in, shooting a jake, etc, the holier than thou's always criticize. And they always state that they're ethical, insinuating that anyone who doesn't hunt exactly like them is therefore unethical. That's why I avoid posts like this.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

Not sure being man enough is the right description for somebody who chooses to carry around more weight than necessary.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

g8rvet

Quote from: Number17 on April 03, 2024, 07:13:05 AM
Quote from: g8rvet on April 03, 2024, 06:46:11 AM
  What they can claim is due to the higher density of TSS it will retain down range energy longer than 9 lead and will therefore have more pellets on target than 5s. 

Retaining downrange energy more efficiently does not translate into more pellets on target. That's an impossible conclusion....like trying to smell the color 9.
More pellets equal more pellets. Because they have increased density they are lethal. 

In other words, the reason the patterns hold together is there are more of them (vs #5 lead) and due to the increased density (vs lead 9), they can kill.  It will pattern like # 9 lead at the same distances (pretty much) but due solely to the increased density they retain downrange energy, unlike lead, so the #9 TSS can actually kill a bird. My conclusion is exactly correct.  Your understanding is not.  Sorry, I jumped a few steps, but thought the points were obvious.  I explained it better so you can understand and stop trying to smell numbers.

Are you arguing just to argue?  Or do I need to explain the obvious to you?
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

CALLM2U

This has been enlightening, I didn't know that there were still "Lead is superior" people still around.   I guess they are probably members of the flat earth and birds aren't real clubs. 

g8rvet

Quote from: CALLM2U on April 04, 2024, 11:53:55 AM
This has been enlightening, I didn't know that there were still "Lead is superior" people still around.   I guess they are probably members of the flat earth and birds aren't real clubs.

I don't really think anyone is saying lead is superior so much as they are saying it is good enough (mostly in 12 gauge) for ethical shot distance. It is NOT superior based on ballistics, I just think they are saying inside 40, lead has killed a ton of birds.

I think William from Sumtoy says to let him know "How dead do you want him" when working up patterns.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

CALLM2U

Quote from: g8rvet on April 04, 2024, 11:56:39 AM

I don't really think anyone is saying lead is superior so much as they are saying it is good enough (mostly in 12 gauge) for ethical shot distance. It is NOT superior based on ballistics, I just think they are saying inside 40, lead has killed a ton of birds.

I think William from Sumtoy says to let him know "How dead do you want him" when working up patterns.

Granted I haven't read all of the thread, but there are definitely people talking about loosing more birds with TSS and lead hitting harder.   I don't care to argue the point because I just find this whole thing funny, but there are for sure people who believe it is superior.

bowbird87

Quote from: Old Swamper on April 04, 2024, 09:46:17 AM
Real easy for me to explain. Most ALL who shoot it, including most who have posted on this thread, despite what they may claim, are doing so for the sole purpose of "attempting" to kill turkeys at 50+yards. I shoot 12ga lead, because I am still man enough to tote around a 7lb gun. I am an ethical turkey hunter and will keep my shots within 40 steps.

And wearing blue jeans and walked to school up hill both ways to school...right? lol

g8rvet

Quote from: CALLM2U on April 04, 2024, 12:01:07 PM

Granted I haven't read all of the thread, but there are definitely people talking about loosing more birds with TSS and lead hitting harder.   I don't care to argue the point because I just find this whole thing funny, but there are for sure people who believe it is superior.
You are probably right

RutnNStrutn

Just saw this posted on line. It takes the wind out of the sails of those who say  people who shoot TSS only do so to kill gobblers at extended ranges.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

ScottTaulbee

This is about where I'm at on the TSS vs lead craze. To be completely transparent, I'm 28 years old, have 3 kids, oldest is 6, bought a nice house 3 years ago, have two newer, dependable vehicles, and a paid for work car that isn't 10 years old yet. I've bought and paid for everything I've owned since I was 17 and graduated high school. I'm the sole income other than my wife splitting one bill a month. I'm at the point in my life where I'd rather spend the limited amount of extra money I have a month on the kids, or trips with the family than on shotgun shells. I've seen triple digits of turkeys killed dead 50 yards and in with good ol #5 lead, and at 22$ for a box of 10. With me shooting 2 a year, it's the best bang for my buck currently.

On the flip side of that, TSS is better as far as pattern density, pellet count, and offering a more lethal sub gauge gun. For the kids, I have a few boxes of TSS in .410 and 28 gauge and I save them solely for them if they ever get infected with this disease.

There is nothing wrong with either and at what I consider "beating the gobbler" ranges of 35 yards and closer, they're just as dead with lead 5's as they are with #9 TSS.

I spend my allowance on lead because it's cheaper and kills em, but for my kids, there is not an allowance I'd stop at to give them every advantage they can have that I didn't 24 years ago when I started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbird22

If someone ever tells you 'don't be that guy', this is what they mean.

The moral to this whole discussion is simple. Lead, Hevi, and TSS will ALL kill, there is no debating that. But in the end, TSS provides better patterns than lead and Hevi due to being superior in density. TSS also produces more energy downrange than lead or Hevi. As an adult, make your choice and spend your money however you please.

jhoward11

It sounds like you have met and understand everyone on this sight and are manlier than most of us for being able to lift 7lbs. You do understand Lead can also kill as far as you state? TSS is more than that. My kids and wife can shoot a smaller gauge with a better ethical chance at killing a bird than lead and the same gauge weapon. ie...410g . As for myself, I choose a gun that weighs 7.5 pounds (gotcha by 1/2 lb.) and use TSS for the shear amount of pellets sent downrange compared to lead. Example...I'm in Iraq. Inbound missile. I can shoot 1 missile in hopes of hitting it or send a patriot battery (16) at one time. Both have the same energy, and speed. Best chance of a kill is to send all 16. If I can send 150-200 more pellet's down range, with the same energy, sorry my friend, that's a no brainer! Distance is not a factor!

lalongbeard75

This whole thread has been comical.

Plain and simple if your not shooting extended ranges (past 40 yards) there's really no need for 900 pellets or shooting jello on YouTube or garbage can lids lol. If I can't get the gobbler to 40 yards or less I try again the next day.

I've killed over 100 gobblers my house, both trucks and everything else is paid for lol I make more money a day now than I made in a week 15 years ago. WTF that has to do with Turkey hunting I don't know just thought I'd add it in.