turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How do you explain the concept of TSS

Started by King Cobra, April 02, 2024, 06:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Cobra

When asked by someone not familiar with TSS how do explain the concept? Although this example is greatly exaggerated the point gets made. I ask the person if they would rather get hit in the head with a speeding golf ball or speeding ping pong ball.
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

Ctate94

Tungsten is a far denser metal than lead, therefore a piece of tungsten that is much smaller than lead is the same weight. Meaning you can shoot something smaller, that weighs the same. The smaller the shot coming out has less wind resistance causing it to typically not slow down as fast meaning it should be able shoot further with a tighter grouping.

zelmo1

To add to the above, if it weighs the same and has a smaller diameter and travels at the same speed, it should get better penetration and deform less. I like the ping pong/golf ball comparison, lol. Z

compton30

I once heard the TSS #9s vs #5 Lead as a sharp pencil vs a dull pencil in terms of penetration. Both will stab ya just one does a better job

Tom007

I'd explain it's a more (much more) expensive option than lead, hevi-shot, heavyweight, nickel, etc. TSS does perform very well with the right gun/choke set-up, however there are cheaper options that will more than cover you out to 40 yards if budget is a concern. I would also mention that it may affect the barrels of older firearms, when in doubt consult a gunsmith or manufacturer for advice. Great product, but you can still be very successful without it. Whatever one chooses, enjoy the hunt!
"Solo hunter"

joey46

For me it is just a better option that allows me to use a .410 and still kill turkeys at a normal ethical range.  After having cataract surgery in both eyes then getting a stent in my carotid I became very recoil conscious.  TSS and a .410 keeps me in the game.  It's very expensive but for me worth every penny.

zelmo1

Quote from: joey46 on April 02, 2024, 06:47:50 AM
For me it is just a better option that allows me to use a .410 and still kill turkeys at a normal ethical range.  After having cataract surgery in both eyes then getting a stent in my carotid I became very recoil conscious.  TSS and a .410 keeps me in the game.  It's very expensive but for me worth every penny.
What Joey said. Mine was knee, shoulder surgery and 2 herniated discs in my back. I came down to a 28 with 1 1/4 TSS #9 and it gives me a payload that is devastating and the recoil and gun is light enough for me. Lighter is better as you get older, lol. Z

bowbird87

TSS main advantage is how many pellets you can put on target. I was discussing this topic with a buddy that said he would rather have less, larger #4 pellets hit a bird than the smaller tss. That's not how a shot shell works. Shot shells kill by putting as many pellets as possible in the vitals has nothing to do with wound channel or hole size. Will 1 pellet kill a turkey absolutely, but putting 70 in the vitals will do it much more efficiently.

Greg Massey

I tell all my buddies the reason i use TSS is because all my friends on OLD Gobbler convinced me to start using TSS ... IT JUST WORKS

huntineveryday

12 gauge winchester long beard xr, 3.5" 2oz load of 5 shot = 340 pellets

20 gauge apex tss, 3" 1 5/8 oz load of 9 shot = 590 pellets

Tss allows you to carry a lighter, smaller gun with more manageable recoil with considerably more pellets that will hit just as hard and penetrate deeper.

Number17

Quote from: zelmo1 on April 02, 2024, 06:14:05 AM
To add to the above, if it weighs the same and has a smaller diameter and travels at the same speed, it should get better penetration and deform less. I like the ping pong/golf ball comparison, lol. Z

There is a big misconception that it weighs the same, but it's not even close.
A lead #5 weighs about 250% more than the TSS #9 it gets compared to. The ping pong ball to golf ball is a poor example and grossly exaggerated. A much closer comparison would be a 12" softball compared to a baseball in terms of density. You don't want to get hit in the head at 100mph by either of them or you're going for a nap.
The softball weighs about twice as much, but the larger surface area is going to distribute the force over a larger impact zone.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

joey46

Since I just sold my TK2000 it is no longer a concern but I was always skeptical when some were substituting TSS with an equal volume measure of lead in a Knight shot cup..  Never got any real straight answer to this.  The pressure difference in this much heavier TSS load had to have been there. 

silvestris

Lead has always worked for me and I don't have to worry about unintentionaly killing a human hiding at 100 yards downrange.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Greg Massey

I do use lead if i'm hunting with one of my 12 gauges or older shotguns like my side x sides and old A5 / 20 gauge...

zelmo1

I didnt compare a #5 lead pellet to a #9 TSS. The TSS is approximately 58% higher in density. A #5 lead pellet weighs .0058 ounces as a #9 TSS is .0028, closer to 2/1. I have done testing on 3.5" 2 ounce longbeards vs 1.25 ounce #9 in my 28 gauge and both are devastating. This is my point, I have no use for the extra recoil and weight. Both will kill efficiently if you are responsible. To each their own. I'm sticking to my 28 and I choose the TSS 1.25 ounces of #9(450ish pellets) rather than .75 ounces of #5 lead( 130ish pellets). Z