only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How do you explain the concept of TSS

Started by King Cobra, April 02, 2024, 06:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: lalongbeard75 on April 04, 2024, 03:53:26 PM
This whole thread has been comical.

Plain and simple if your not shooting extended ranges (past 40 yards) there's really no need for 900 pellets or shooting jello on YouTube or garbage can lids lol. If I can't get the gobbler to 40 yards or less I try again the next day.

I've killed over 100 gobblers my house, both trucks and everything else is paid for lol I make more money a day now than I made in a week 15 years ago. WTF that has to do with Turkey hunting I don't know just thought I'd add it in.
It seems you have a problem with my response. The meaning behind it was to say, in a nutshell shell, that there are more important things for me to spend my money on at my age than 10 to 15$ a shotgun shell to shoot a gobbler at less than 40 yards. But I also understand the other side of the coin as younger hunters or old men might want a lighter gun with less recoil and be just as effective. If you have a problem you're more than welcome to message me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howie g

I shot " whatever " shell shots best from my gun that I can afford .
I know my weapon and its capabilities . Just because my gun / shell combo is lethal
at longer ranges then turkey guns where years back , this doesn't mean I compromise my turkey hunting values or ethics .
If they outlawed tss / heavy shot etc , it wouldn't hurt my feelings in the least , but as long as it legal, l  feel I owe it to my self and the gobblers I choose to take  to shot the very best I can .

WV Flopper

Quote from: Howie g on April 04, 2024, 09:49:03 PM
I know my weapon and its capabilities . Just because my gun / shell combo is lethal
at longer ranges then turkey guns where years back , this doesn't mean I compromise my turkey hunting values or ethics .
If they outlawed tss / heavy shot etc , it wouldn't hurt my feelings in the least , but as long as it legal, l  feel I owe it to my self and the gobblers I choose to take  to shot the very best I can .

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on April 04, 2024, 02:25:20 PM
Quote from: g8rvet on April 04, 2024, 11:56:39 AM
Quote from: CALLM2U on April 04, 2024, 11:53:55 AM
This has been enlightening, I didn't know that there were still "Lead is superior" people still around.   I guess they are probably members of the flat earth and birds aren't real clubs.

I don't really think anyone is saying lead is superior so much as they are saying it is good enough (mostly in 12 gauge) for ethical shot distance. It is NOT superior based on ballistics, I just think they are saying inside 40, lead has killed a ton of birds.

I think William from Sumtoy says to let him know "How dead do you want him" when working up patterns.
This is about where I'm at on the TSS vs lead craze. To be completely transparent, I'm 28 years old, have 3 kids, oldest is 6, bought a nice house 3 years ago, have two newer, dependable vehicles, and a paid for work car that isn't 10 years old yet. I've bought and paid for everything I've owned since I was 17 and graduated high school. I'm the sole income other than my wife splitting one bill a month. I'm at the point in my life where I'd rather spend the limited amount of extra money I have a month on the kids, or trips with the family than on shotgun shells. I've seen triple digits of turkeys killed dead 50 yards and in with good ol #5 lead, and at 22$ for a box of 10. With me shooting 2 a year, it's the best bang for my buck currently.

On the flip side of that, TSS is better as far as pattern density, pellet count, and offering a more lethal sub gauge gun. For the kids, I have a few boxes of TSS in .410 and 28 gauge and I save them solely for them if they ever get infected with this disease.

There is nothing wrong with either and at what I consider "beating the gobbler" ranges of 35 yards and closer, they're just as dead with lead 5's as they are with #9 TSS.

I spend my allowance on lead because it's cheaper and kills em, but for my kids, there is not an allowance I'd stop at to give them every advantage they can have that I didn't 24 years ago when I started.

I love these two post.

Scott knows his priorities.
Howie knows his convictions.

Do whats right for you, no need to beat some else down in the process.
BTW, TSS is Superior.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Howie g on April 04, 2024, 09:49:03 PM
Bingo.

lalongbeard75

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on April 04, 2024, 06:41:57 PM
Quote from: lalongbeard75 on April 04, 2024, 03:53:26 PM

It seems you have a problem with my response. The meaning behind it was to say, in a nutshell shell, that there are more important things for me to spend my money on at my age than 10 to 15$ a shotgun shell to shoot a gobbler at less than 40 yards. But I also understand the other side of the coin as younger hunters or old men might want a lighter gun with less recoil and be just as effective. If you have a problem you're more than welcome to message me.

I just thought it was funny, you have a problem you can PM me

bwhana

Back to the OP, the only explanation I need is to show them a #9 tss vs a #5 and #6 pattern, explain they are all at 40yds and all will kill a bird every time. Let them choose from there.  Never had anyone choose anything but the tss.

Also, I wanted, but would not purchase, a 20 ga for a long time for the weight reduction, but never considered any load adequate for my taste until tss came along.

A side benefit for me has been ZERO pellets in the breasts, which was a constant problem with #5lbxr in my 12 ga. The tss zips right through and gone and also does not pull the small pin feathers with them into the meat.

g8rvet

Great point bwhana.  That radiograph under my tag line is with #7 Federal Heavyweight and there are not many pellets retained.  That bird was shot about 30 yards.  Another Xray I took was shot with lead #6 and there were a ton of pellets.   The HW just zipped right through.  He was ate up with pellets.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

owlhoot

A number 9 TSS pellet weighs right there with a 7 1/2 lead pellet.
But even those who swear by the old Federal 2 oz 7 1/2 loads say they wouldn't trust them much beyond 35 yards. 
Yet no improvement from TSS 9 shot in killing ability?

Most .410 TSS patterns have no more pellets than the average 5 lead pattern from a 12 gauge. 
So how is it that a TSS 9 .410 load kill turkeys just as dead as the 5 lead of a 12 gauge with both doing around 100 or so in the 10" at 40 yards? You have to have more TSS in the pattern? Don't believe so.
Those who gave up the 3 1/2" lead loads for a 20, 28, or even the little .410 with TSS are only looking to increase the range past 40, really? What was the 3 1/2 12 for ? Or the longbeard loads that some love to use?

owlhoot

Quote from: dublelung on April 02, 2024, 01:01:52 PM
Quote from: Bottomland OG on April 02, 2024, 12:21:20 PM
I have always been a lead guy. I loved the Winchester extended range and would still shoot them if they still made it. I'm not debating but really trying to understand more about from all you guys that shoot tss and maybe what I'm doing wrong. I shot tss for the last 2 years and 1 out of 8 birds it killed dead right there, the rest took off running for 30 or 40 yards and just fell over. I've never had that problem with lead. I have switched back to lead because of that. Has anyone else had this problem. The way it looks on paper it seems it would be devastating.

If 7 out of 8 gobblers took off running you're not putting the shot where it should go or shooting way too far.
Yes, sounds like body shot birds. But the TSS penetrated the vitals, heart lungs etc.

briton

If ppl cant understand the connection of weight, pattern density, penetration, and number of hits in the vitals then they are clueless and will never understand unless you shot a pattern of each in front of them with sheet metal as the backer to let them visualize the pattern density and penetration that tss offers. A lot of ppl are too ignorant or simply won't take the time to put the thought process thru their head. Do you have to shoot tss, NO, is it far superior, YES.