OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How do you explain the concept of TSS

Started by King Cobra, April 02, 2024, 06:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wigsplitter

Yall got my head hurting as bad as a gobbler shot with tss #9s

Old Gobbler

The big ammo companies , or any ammo company for the fact have figured out they can make more money selling one box of tss , than I could speculate 5 to 10 boxes of lead loads ....hence why that's about all they want to sell you these days ..

It shoots tight and hits hard , that's why hunters like it

It makes plenty of money,  and sells fast that's why ammo companies like it

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Number17

A golf ball is 735% denser than a tennis ball
TSS shot is 59% denser than lead.
TSS is 129% denser than steel
TSS is 148% denser that tin

Comparing a golf ball to a tennis ball is like comparing TSS to Salt.........about a 750% difference.

#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

lalongbeard75

Quote from: Number17 on April 02, 2024, 09:36:55 PM

LaLongbeard had everything right until he stated those tiny 9s aren't comparable to copper plated lead 4 or 5 sizes larger. Killing turkeys is all about penetration and breaking bones to shut down the CNS. The 9 to 5 comparison has been tested and proven many different ways. It is indeed an accurate comparison. The hype is real. The hype is factual. It does what they claim.

In what way has the TSS#9 vs lead #5 been proven?

I've seen quite a few Gobblers killed with TSS. None had the same bone breakage as lead #5s (the load I've killed most of my Gobblers with). The TSS kills  I've seen had a lot of tiny holes thru the bird not much bone or wing or leg breakage. That's on real turkeys not paper. Weight and speed is what breaks bones. A plain uncoated lead pellet has plenty of hardness  to break a bone hardness of TSS does not add to bone breakage, the shot needs only to be harder than bone which it is.
As mentioned the deformation of copper plated shot is being WAY over exaggerated. If you've ever killed any turkeys with copper plated lead you've no doubt found at least a couple pellets in a Turkey, they are as round and undeformed as any TSS shot.

I guess.... at least, the TSS lovers have dialed back some of the crazy claims they were hyping couple years back. Especially the ones about TSS weight per pellet. I see now they've moved to pellet hardness lol. Maybe only a lateral move but something I guess.

TSS has been around long enough now that there are probably a lot of hunters that have used nothing else and truly believe nothing else works? I've killed over a hundred Gobblers without TSS I know better.

g8rvet

It is not about weight it is about density.  No right person can claim a 9 pellet does more damage than a 5 pellet at ethical ranges.   What they can claim is due to the higher density of TSS it will retain down range energy longer than 9 lead and will therefore have more pellets on target than 5s.  Killing of turkeys is not about transfer of energy or knockdown power.  It is about penetration of vitals.   I did the math once and the elephant example I gave earlier holds up with the 303.  It ain't the knockdown it is the penetration.   The swarm of small highly penetrating 9s kills at effective ranges of 5s.  That is the only real comparison.  With that being said if I hunted a 12 I would not use TSS.  Not necessary. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Number17

Lalongbeard,
You can google and youtube to your heart's desire to SEE the penetration difference in penetration tests from gel to metal. The results are undeniable.
I save the wingbones from my gobblers so I see every single one of them. I've killed a pile of gobblers and I've only ever found 1 pellet had broken a wingbone.....and that was a #9.5 tss a couple of years ago on the opposite side I shot the bird on.

I agree the exaggerations and fabrications about TSS have been retold for many years, but the facts remain that it does indeed penetrate through most medium just the same as or better than a lead #5 when launched at the same velocity. So the same performance with double the amount of hits on target. The winner is clear.
And I've never heard another hunter anywhere, ever say that lead doesn't work. That statement is as ridiculous as some of the TSS exaggerations. Of course it works......just not as good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6AJz7z8NnU&ab_channel=NorthwestSpurChasers
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Number17

Quote from: g8rvet on April 03, 2024, 06:46:11 AM
  What they can claim is due to the higher density of TSS it will retain down range energy longer than 9 lead and will therefore have more pellets on target than 5s. 

Retaining downrange energy more efficiently does not translate into more pellets on target. That's an impossible conclusion....like trying to smell the color 9.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

jhoward11

Let's try this for a scenario. If someone was shooting at you from say...40-50 yards. Both guns equal and shooting the exact same pattern. Would you rather have 20 pellets coming at you or 60? Either one is going to penetrate from that distance! I think most of us would take our chances with just 20 and hope half of them go wide. TSS is popular because of more pellets down range, less open spaces on target, means less chances of misses. Which is an all around good thing for ethical hunting. Another thing to think about is...when will they outlaw lead? It will happen at some point, and then what's the options?

Tom007

Quote from: jhoward11 on April 03, 2024, 11:54:21 AM
Let's try this for a scenario. If someone was shooting at you from say...40-50 yards. Both guns equal and shooting the exact same pattern. Would you rather have 20 pellets coming at you or 60? Either one is going to penetrate from that distance! I think most of us would take our chances with just 20 and hope half of them go wide. TSS is popular because of more pellets down range, less open spaces on target, means less chances of misses. Which is an all around good thing for ethical hunting. Another thing to think about is...when will they outlaw lead? It will happen at some point, and then what's the options?

I wish they would bring back the Old Red shell Active Turkey Penetrator loads. 3 inch shell, 2 1/4 ounce of Nickel Plated Shot. These shells patterned unreal. The knocked turkeys over. All good things get discontinued unfortunately.....I only have 4 left......
"Solo hunter"

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: silvestris on April 02, 2024, 10:51:51 AM
Lead has always worked for me and I don't have to worry about unintentionaly killing a human hiding at 100 yards downrange.
Always a negative comment. If nothing else, you're consistent.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Bottomland OG

Quote from: Tom007 on April 03, 2024, 01:02:30 PM

I wish they would bring back the Old Red shell Active Turkey Penetrator loads. 3 inch shell, 2 1/4 ounce of Nickel Plated Shot. These shells patterned unreal. The knocked turkeys over. All good things get discontinued unfortunately.....I only have 4 left......
I mentioned those in a different thread the other day. Those were my absolute favorites. I shot the #6's. Wasn't sure if anyone remembered them. The were turkey killers for sure.

Tom007

Quote from: Bottomland OG on April 03, 2024, 01:54:13 PM

I mentioned those in a different thread the other day. Those were my absolute favorites. I shot the #6's. Wasn't sure if anyone remembered them. The were turkey killers for sure.

Amen my friend. The wad they used looked like a Mini Rocket ship.....
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

I have a full box of 25 of these in 16 ga. and i also have a box of 10 of these in 12 ga . turkey loads

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 03, 2024, 04:22:08 PM

I have a full box of 25 of these in 16 ga. and i also have a box of 10 of these in 12 ga . turkey loads

They were unreal, the best from years ago.......
"Solo hunter"

Ihuntoldschool

Everyone keeps saying naysayers . But it's funny I don't hear anyone saying TSS doesn't work. I guess when you stick to real facts instead of fairy tales you're a naysayer.

It does come down to money.  The ammo manufacturers make much more money off TSS that's how you explain the concept.   
When people purchase TSS they want to believe that they're justified in spending that much money on shells. They want to believe it weighs as much as lead #5 or hits as hard as a lead 5.  They don't want to hear about energy transfer or bigger, heavier pellets doing more damage, breaking turkeys down .  Nobody in their right mind wants to pay 10 to 12 dollars a round and believe a 2 dollar lead round could do the same job.  It's marketing at work here with the ammo companies and the long range shots on social media etc. 

It's like the guy that drops 1000 bucks on new designer cano. Marketing..  He don't want to hear that he don't need Camo or that WW 2, Vietnam fatigues are just as effective.  People like to justify in their mind the money they spend.