turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How do you explain the concept of TSS

Started by King Cobra, April 02, 2024, 06:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

One thing I noticed is most of the TSS loads from the various makers have bigger ounce payloads, but the speed is lower. I realize the 100-200 FPS doesn't seem like much, but I would think there is some difference. Take Federal Heavyweight Loads. Heavyweight shot is 15 G/CC, TSS is 18 G/CC. The Federal Loads travel 1300 FPS, versus 1150-1190 in most TSS loads. I wonder if there is a trade-off with higher payloads, versus speed? I know it all depends on the pattern results. I've tested and use both and find the patterns to perform similar to each other. Very few Gobblers even flop when hit with Heavyweight #7's....just wanted to share some thoughts here....
"Solo hunter"

joey46

Before switching to the .410 often used what was called a reduced recoil load in my 870 12 ga.  Really didn't think it was that reduced.  When someone comes out with an actual lead .410 load to kill a turkey sized bird let me know.  They won't so TSS is the way to go if using a smaller ga turkey killer. Killing an innocent bystander at 100 yards isn't really a concern.  I'll take that chance.

Tom007

Quote from: joey46 on April 02, 2024, 11:49:12 AM
Before switching to the .410 often used what was called a reduced recoil load in my 870 12 ga.  Really didn't think it was that reduced.  When someone comes out with an actual lead .410 load to kill a turkey sized bird let me know.  They won't so TSS is the way to go if using a smaller ga turkey killer. Killing an innocent bystander at 100 yards isn't really a concern.  I'll take that chance.

TSS sure did open up much better efficiency's and pay loads for the smaller gauge options...
"Solo hunter"

joey46

Until some nitwit such as old time YouTube star such as Roland Martin claims his .410 is good to 50 yards.  Some just want to make me scream.  The big birds deserve better.

runngun

I handload all of my TSS, every gauge except for the 10 gauge.
One thing that I have realized, your either "Fer it, or aginst it". One thing for certain, me you or nobody going to convince some folks otherwise. The dangest thing is that I would bet most of them ain't never tried it. Going to reject/put down on "new technology" but they ain't using a sharp rock on the end of a stick, or for that matter black powder.
I don't care what you choose to use as long as it WORKS. I am not going to put down on anyone because of the shot they choose. For some reason it is not a two way street.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Bottomland OG

I have always been a lead guy. I loved the Winchester extended range and would still shoot them if they still made it. I'm not debating but really trying to understand more about from all you guys that shoot tss and maybe what I'm doing wrong. I shot tss for the last 2 years and 1 out of 8 birds it killed dead right there, the rest took off running for 30 or 40 yards and just fell over. I've never had that problem with lead. I have switched back to lead because of that. Has anyone else had this problem. The way it looks on paper it seems it would be devastating.

g8rvet

The lethality of TSS is not really due to it's greater density.  It is due to the fact that it's greater density allows the pellets to maintain enough downrange energy to penetrate and kill a gobbler in the vital areas.  Newton's First - an object in motion tends to remain in motion and Newton's Second - Force = mass x acceleration. 

The density of lead is fine and dandy to kill a gobbler very dead.  The real difference is what range does the pattern break down vs lethality of the pellet.  The #9 TSS is NOT more deadly than the #5 lead, the greater number of pellets allow an effective killing pattern at better ranges. 

My favorite example is real world Karamojo Bell - while other were hunting elephants with hand cannons (2-4 gauge Muzzleloaders, 577 Express), he was killing by the score with a 303 Enfield.  But he did so with proper bullet placement in the brain due to his knowledge and skill.  TSS due to it's superior patterning because of the smaller pellet size lets you have better odds of multiple smaller killing pellets than fewer larger killing pellets (of say, lead #5). 

I have never hunted with TSS except in a 410.  I use Federal Heavyweight in 20.  I used lead or the old Remington Hevi Shot in 12.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

dublelung

Quote from: Bottomland OG on April 02, 2024, 12:21:20 PM
I have always been a lead guy. I loved the Winchester extended range and would still shoot them if they still made it. I'm not debating but really trying to understand more about from all you guys that shoot tss and maybe what I'm doing wrong. I shot tss for the last 2 years and 1 out of 8 birds it killed dead right there, the rest took off running for 30 or 40 yards and just fell over. I've never had that problem with lead. I have switched back to lead because of that. Has anyone else had this problem. The way it looks on paper it seems it would be devastating.

If 7 out of 8 gobblers took off running you're not putting the shot where it should go or shooting way too far.

Number17

Quote from: g8rvet on April 02, 2024, 01:01:02 PM
The lethality of TSS is not really due to it's greater density.  It is due to the fact that it's greater density allows the pellets to maintain enough downrange energy to penetrate and kill a gobbler in the vital areas.  Newton's First - an object in motion tends to remain in motion and Newton's Second - Force = mass x acceleration. 

It is about density. Density, hardness of the shot and 2.5X less surface area compared to #5 lead. Density sitting on the table means nothing, but density put into motion is where you'll see results.

Looking at Newton's 1st law of inertia, the #5 lead wins by a landslide because of the increased mass (minimal air resistance difference)
Looking at Newton's 2nd law, again the #5 lead wins because it has more than double the mass with the same acceleration or more.

Lead 5s hit with twice the amount of energy, but TSS 9s are able to penetrate just as well because of hardness and a lower coefficient of friction on the target.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Ihuntoldschool

Basically TSS allows more pellets to hit but takes more hits to kill.

Lead allows for less pellets to hit but takes far fewer hits to kill.

Big thing is # of pellets.
Golf ball/ ping pong ball poor analogy.

Bottomland OG

Quote from: dublelung on April 02, 2024, 01:01:52 PM

If 7 out of 8 gobblers took off running you're not putting the shot where it should go or shooting way too far.
They definitely wasn't to far. But I'm not doubting you at all on my part. That's what puzzled me. I'm not a betting man, if I were though I'd be the farm that those that ran off would have gotten anchored had it been lead. Even if it wasn't the bulk of the pattern. I know tss has got to be bad stuff because you see to many birds being killed. There is no denying it. All 8 had holes everywhere in their heads. I would love to gain confidence in it though because I would rather hunt with my 20ga than a 12.

Number17

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on April 02, 2024, 01:26:02 PM

Well, I'm compelled to do this again.
That is false. Each little #9TSS kills just as cleanly as each heavier & bigger lead #5.....and there is over twice as many of them per a given mass.
Maybe this thread should have be titled the misconceptions between lead and TSS?
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Jbird22

Quote from: Bottomland OG on April 02, 2024, 01:44:11 PM
Quote from: dublelung on April 02, 2024, 01:01:52 PM

They definitely wasn't to far. But I'm not doubting you at all on my part. That's what puzzled me. I'm not a betting man, if I were though I'd be the farm that those that ran off would have gotten anchored had it been lead. Even if it wasn't the bulk of the pattern. I know tss has got to be bad stuff because you see to many birds being killed. There is no denying it. All 8 had holes everywhere in their heads. I would love to gain confidence in it though because I would rather hunt with my 20ga than a 12.
For starters....

- Which load and gauge? (factory or handload)
- Shot size?
- Range?

crow

Quote from: Number17 on April 02, 2024, 02:24:45 PM
Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on April 02, 2024, 01:26:02 PM

Well, I'm compelled to do this again.
That is false. Each little #9TSS kills just as cleanly as each heavier & bigger lead #5.....and there is over twice as many of them per a given mass.
Maybe this thread should have be titled the misconceptions between lead and TSS?

I agree with the rebuttal except in my experiences with #9 TSS it is more equal in real world killing performance to #4 lead rather than #5 lead. Before going to the Fed HVWT #7 or TSS #9 loads in a 20ga. I was primarily a #4 CP lead hunter.

lalongbeard75

Before repeating the TSS claims you might want to actually look at the factual numbers.

The often quoted "TSS #9 is the same weight as a lead 4 or 5 is DEAD WRONG. TSS # 9 is no where close to the same weight as a lead #5 let alone a lead #4.

Kinetic energy another TSS soap box. KE is mass times velocity squared. In other words a heavier object going faster has more KE period. Look at the numbers again. Most lead Turkey loads have faster velocities than the TSS loads. So again a lead # 5 traveling faster will have more KE, more bone breaking power. Even if the TSS load is the exact same velocity as the lead load the TSS will still have less KE because it's lighter.

The number one benefit I see in TSS is the dense patterns it usually gives because of the small shot size.
For TSS to match a lead 4 or 5 you'd have to use TSS 7s or even 6s which would then negate the dense patterns of the smaller shot ie. #9s.

If you start comparing Heavy shot the discrepancy increases in favor of the heavier shot.

Why has this TSS #9 vs lead #5 fairy tale continually being propagated on various forums, podcasts, even in print? Good question. My guess is the ones selling and hyping TSS know the truth but also know the average Joe doesn't understand physics or care to, and if you repeat the same thing over enough most will believe it and swear it's gospel.

The numbers of weight per pellet, velocities etc. are easily obtained. Look for yourself