turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Czar?

Started by Prospector, April 01, 2024, 03:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prospector

So, the bag limit topic and all its offshoots raised intriguing question for me: If you were appointed the All Powerful Oz over all things wildlife ESPECIALLY Wild Turkey, what are some changes you would make? Realizing that we are adults here so if someone's opinion is contrary to yours or feels like an attack on your own beliefs know that it isn't- I'm curious as to everyone s thought so let's refrain from playground scuffling and chew on this a little.
So, I'll start: Pretty easy is I would restructure my home state of MSs timber management. Strictly enforced SMZs: some ratio of water flow to width left AND replanted hardwood if not wide enough eg, large creek 75or more yards both banks minimum. Also mandatory planting of certain areas designated for hardwood for long term harvest. Lease prices would be lowered and capped and if timber harvest or any leasee disturbing work occurs it would constitute refunding annual lease payments for acreage affected. Also, all the aircraft deforestation with its overspray would have to stop. It's killing our mast production in the few hardwoods left.
Bag limits: as I've said, NR one tag only public or private. Residents get one tag as well with opportunity for a second with a predator bounty. Also only adult gobblers and no hens unless proven populations are rebounding
Season dates; always starts on Saturday not before or closest to March 15 thru April. eg 2024 MS Season would have started March 16.
No corn or corn feeders. Regardless of size they have to be out of the woods by last day of February.
And since this is hypothetical and fantasy I would have the proper numbers of LEO to police and enforce those rules with not just fines but loss of lifetime hunting rights for the fence jumpers/trespassers/game hogs etc
As I said, curious to hear your thoughts/ I'm not trying to evoke disagreement. I like good ideas whether or not we will ever see them. It makes me think.
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

Greg Massey

Let all resident state hunters have the first 2 weeks of the season or first few days before allowing out of state hunting... Public or private

Happy

Make a lot of people mad really fast

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

TonyTurk

Draw hunts for public land.  75% of the tags to residents and 25% to non-residents.  If there are leftover permits after the draw, then first come first served.  No harvesting of bearded hens for anyone.

I wouldn't put extra restrictions on private land.  In my opinion, if a guy has secured permission from the landowner to hunt, he should be able to hunt, no matter where he is from.

Marc

First regulation I would make, is that nobody else could shoot a turkey till I am tagged out...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

turkeymanjim

Here in Pa, let people trap nest raiders all year long.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Wigsplitter

No fall hunting without population numbers going up- no jakes or bearded hens in spring - reduce limit to 2 for states above that- we can put some of this back into place as numbers return if needed- possible bonus tag with some kind of predator bounty- no corn feeders after January

Kyle_Ott

For my home state of VA:

2 bird resident season limit
1 bird non resident season limit
1 bird daily bag limit

Adult gobblers only with jake exceptions for youths, disabled and senior citizens (no bearded hens)
4 week season
12 noon cut-off

No male turkey decoys with exceptions for kids/disabled/senior citizens
No reaping/fanning

Gooserbat

Split the state into six management zones. NE, NC, NW, SE, SC, and SW.  Two bird limit, one bird per day and one bird per zone. 

Bring back physical check stations

No jakes except during youth season.  No bearded hens. 

Nonresident would be allowed one state wide tag good for public land and one private land only tag. 

Implement a nest predator check in for an instate hunt lottery... Elk, deer, and turkey hunts on some of the prime wmas.

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Sir-diealot

1 bird limit in Spring and Fall, no hens ever, of course replenish habitat, make non hunters pay for the use to use lands as well. Add more money to the Departmet of Conservation to hire more officers and only allow those that hunt to work to make hunting related laws and work in conservation, let the city slickers deal with gas station problems and the such.

Sent from my SM-S136DL using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Marc

Quote from: TonyTurk on April 01, 2024, 04:44:28 PM
I wouldn't put extra restrictions on private land.  In my opinion, if a guy has secured permission from the landowner to hunt, he should be able to hunt, no matter where he is from.
Yes...  Private land and public land should have different regulations.  But, with the popularity of turkey hunting, you will create a pay-to-play situation...  A lot of guys that have had good private land to hunt on, will lose it to people willing to pay to hunt.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Prospector

Quote from: Marc on April 02, 2024, 01:28:45 AM
Quote from: TonyTurk on April 01, 2024, 04:44:28 PM
Yes...  Private land and public land should have different regulations.  But, with the popularity of turkey hunting, you will create a pay-to-play situation...  A lot of guys that have had good private land to hunt on, will lose it to people willing to pay to hunt.
This is why in my fiefdom regulations would be the same. Preventing private land from being anymore valuable than it already is.
Bringing back manual check stations? I like that! I will incorporate that iidea as well.... :z-winnersmiley:
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

Tom007

Czar 007's first day in office:

In person check-in
No more Hen Harvesting in low population areas. Adjust gobbler limits as needed
Bring us all together ie; No more animosity Public/Private, share the resource, pay attention to ethics by being law abiding, courteous sportsman furthering and maintaining a positive reputation for the turkey hunting fraternity.

Remember, we control our own destiny by our decisions, let's ALL make the right ones moving forward!
"Solo hunter"

quavers59

DEFINITELY,I WOULD PUT THE MAX LIMIT OF SPRING GOBBLERS IN NEW JERSEY AT " 3".
    NO MORE LOOPHOLES IN THE REGS TO ALLOW THE KILLING OF 6,7,8+ GOBBLERS BY ANY 1 MAN IN NEW JERSEY IN THE SPRING TURKEY SEASON.
     AND,I WOULD OPEN THE NEW YORK SPRING TURKEY SEASON ON THE LAST SATURDAY  IN APRIL RATHER THEN MAY 1ST.

bowbird87

-Convince land owners spring burning does more good than bad.
-Revitalize the fur market to encourage trapping
-No Jake harvest
-No more baiting deer
-encourage land owners and the state not to clear cut and turn every acre they can into a pine plantation all at once.
-Tell Mother Nature no more spring floods during nesting season.
-Research effects of chicken manure fertilizer on turkeys.