OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbler(s)/Bald Eagle Encounter

Started by Bill, April 01, 2024, 01:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Cobra

Once in a lifetime opportunity, Thank you for sharing
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

Hook hanger

Awesome photo!!! I have witnessed an eagle take out a turkey it was amazing and sad at same time.

Zobo

Quote from: Bill on April 01, 2024, 08:57:49 PM
Quote from: Zobo on April 01, 2024, 06:20:01 PM
Really great picture! I had an eagle do the same thing to a hen decoy I was using several years ago
Thanks. Did the eagle make contact with your decoy, or just make a close pass like this one did?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No contact was made but he came pretty close, the wingspan on the eagle was remarkable and is ingrained in my memory forever!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

High plains drifter

Wow.Very cool. I thought a 20 pound gobbler would smoke an eagle?

Bill

Quote from: High plains drifter on April 03, 2024, 10:38:21 AM
Observing in real time, it looked like the eagle decided to defer at the last moment. Evidently a bald eagle tops out around 14 lbs (most weighing less) but they are certainly better equipped for violence than any turkey.  I would have been sad if the eagle took out one of my gobblers, but it would have been an epic thing to see.

High plains drifter

Quote from: Bill on April 04, 2024, 10:32:31 PM
Quote from: High plains drifter on April 03, 2024, 10:38:21 AM
Observing in real time, it looked like the eagle decided to defer at the last moment. Evidently a bald eagle tops out around 14 lbs (most weighing less) but they are certainly better equipped for violence than any turkey.  I would have been sad if the eagle took out one of my gobblers, but it would have been an epic thing to see.
  I found the remains of an eagle when I was scouting yesterday. He was a big bird.I wonder if someone shot him?I hope not.

harleytom

Quote from: Zobo on April 01, 2024, 06:20:01 PM
Really great picture! I had an eagle do the same thing to a hen decoy I was using several years ago
I had the same experience except it grabbed my decoy and took it about 10 feet in the air before realizing something wasn't right and releasing it. You should have seen the solid steel stake the decoy was on!

Treerooster

Balds are cool. When one is close, it is hard not to watch it. Seems I just have to look at them...unless a gobbler is close too.   :toothy12:

I use to do some work with the DNR banding Bald Eagles. I climbed into the nest to lower the Bald Eaglets for banding/measuring. Had some really cool experiences and got to see a lot of Eagles and their chicks up close. One of the neatest sights was seeing an adult fly by just below me and only 20 feet away. Did it as a volunteer for 12 years and banded almost 200 eaglets.

That's me....2nd from the left.   :wave: