OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Spring loaded mouth call pouch

Started by btomlin, April 01, 2024, 08:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btomlin

Any of the fine craftsmen or women here at OG make one? 

I know companies make the cheap plastic ones and I have seen a few online that are leather or leather trimmed (which is what I'm thinking) but they are all "branded" up. 

Have you found one that "fits the bill" for you? 

***edit:  thanks everyone, I ordered a houndstooth and plan to give it a go.  Seems that most really like it.***

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CALLM2U

I have one that I think I got off of Amazon.  To be honest, I don't use it anymore because given the moisture, it allows for bacteria to grow. 

I went to a plastic case which is easier to clean.  I also think I got it off Amazon.  It's the blue Primos one.

ScottTaulbee

My primos one I've had for 15 years gave up on me and I bought a new primos one, and a leather one from Timothy Oldham Jr.

Neither of those worked for me. I all new ones seems pretty similar or they are asking 10 times what they're worth. I gave up on them and went to the sleeve/ wallet style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Quote from: CALLM2U on April 01, 2024, 08:24:21 AM
I have one that I think I got off of Amazon.  To be honest, I don't use it anymore because given the moisture, it allows for bacteria to grow. 

I went to a plastic case which is easier to clean.  I also think I got it off Amazon.  It's the blue Primos one.

This...^^^.  You always want to use a case made out of a material that you can disinfect easily or, unless you are lucky, you will eventually have "problems".

Long ago, I was pretty careless about disinfecting my calls and carrying cases.  Every spring, when I got the calls out and started practicing prior to the season, I would get the same symptoms of feeling poorly and having heart palpitations for a while.  This went on for several years until I "pulled my head out" and realized it was happening because of my lack of diligence in cleaning and disinfecting everything before storing my calls in the off-season...and also on a regular basis during the season if I was hunting on and off for several weeks.   

Once I put two and two together, I became much more careful about it and haven't had those problems since.  For anybody using mouth-operated calls, do yourselves a favor and make sure you disinfect them on a regular basis...and if you are using any sort of case for those calls, make sure you are using something that bacteria and other unsavory microorganisms can't hide in.   :icon_thumright:

NOmad

I have had the Pinhoti one (bought it at NWTF because it was the first one I saw) for about 2 years now and I really like it. No gaudy branding or anything, just a gobbler track with a circle around it on the right hand side of the leather trim. Great quality and I intend to use it for several more years at least.

btomlin

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 01, 2024, 09:14:21 AM
Quote from: CALLM2U on April 01, 2024, 08:24:21 AM

This...^^^.  You always want to use a case made out of a material that you can disinfect easily or, unless you are lucky, you will eventually have "problems".

Long ago, I was pretty careless about disinfecting my calls and carrying cases.  Every spring, when I got the calls out and started practicing prior to the season, I would get the same symptoms of feeling poorly and having heart palpitations for a while.  This went on for several years until I "pulled my head out" and realized it was happening because of my lack of diligence in cleaning and disinfecting everything before storing my calls in the off-season...and also on a regular basis during the season if I was hunting on and off for several weeks.   

Once I put two and two together, I became much more careful about it and haven't had those problems since.  For anybody using mouth-operated calls, do yourselves a favor and make sure you disinfect them on a regular basis...and if you are using any sort of case for those calls, make sure you are using something that bacteria and other unsavory microorganisms can't hide in.   :icon_thumright:

I'm pretty diligent in cleaning my mouth calls at least 1x a week and they go in the garage fridge when not being hunted.  I have a dry "backup" in my vest that only gets used if I forget to grab the Fav-3 when loading up in the morning.

PALongspur

I like the folding cordura one that Lyle Gilbert (Houndstooth) sells.

Greg Massey

Quote from: PALongspur on April 01, 2024, 09:51:24 AM
I like the folding cordura one that Lyle Gilbert (Houndstooth) sells.

I agree, nicely made. Also everyone they are on sale regular 29 dollars on sale now for 20 dollars ... If i were buying another one it would be one of these ...

Tom Threetoes

I've always used the plastic coin purses they have as freebies at the funeral homes. I use a leather punch to add some holes to let air circulate for drying. Works great and the price is right!

bbcoach

Primos was the one I had for ages.  I don't know what happened to it.

Marc

I have an old nylon H.S. Strut call wallet/necklace that came with three diaphragm calls...  Looks like they do not make it anymore.

I come home and wash my calls with Dawn dishwashing soap (until the bubbles are gone), and let them air-dry overnight on a paper towel...  And no, I do not taste the soap or blow bubbles when I call. :goofball:

Wash the wallet with a (small) bit of laundry detergent under hot water and also let air-dry overnight.

It is small, holds 4 calls (8 if I double up), and I can wear it around my neck...  I like it, cause I often drop my vest to reposition on a "closer" bird, and I always have a call on my person.

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Happy

Not really spring loaded but I bought 2 or three of these years ago. They are my favorite so far

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mikejd

I have used many different ones over the years but my Hounds tooth is the best I have found. Well made and
for only 20 bucks or so it cant be beat.