Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you prefer to hunt by yourself or with others&why?

Started by 1iagobblergetter, March 31, 2024, 10:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b wilt

prefer alone except when my grown son or daughter wants to come along.

mspaci

just me, way easier moving around, I can go where I want

cracker4112

I've been 7 mornings so far this season. Twice with my 17 yo.  We were on a property that we needed to hunt together due to others in camp.  Twice with my 10 yo.  Once with my oldest friend. Twice alone.  Called one in for my 17 yo, my buddy and my 10 yo missed one.  I killed one last time out.  My seasons are usually like this.  Some solo hunts mixed in with my boys, dad, and my buddy.  I don't hunt with anyone else except occasionally I'll take a new hunter or my landowner.  I'm hunting with my dad this weekend and probably won't sit together and taking a buddy and his 17 yo daughter to try for her first bird in a couple weeks.

I don't care who shoots the turkey, only that one gets shot.  So I like it either way.

perrytrails

Not uncommon for 3-5 people hunting with me every day.
I'll get a few days alone but rare.

More fun in a group, great memories with friends and family.

Kylongspur88

I might go with other folks but we go our separate ways. Unless I'm calling for someone I prefer flying solo

cwhitfield96

I hunt alone or with a couple of close friends. I think each has their advantages/disadvantages. Calling for someone else is just as fun to me, plus you don't have to tote around a gun which is nice.

Wigsplitter

I hunt mostly alone and am more efficient this way for sure But- I have 2 close friends who are not as seasoned and love to tag alone and learn - they won't call unless I prompt them and are capable of killing on their own but seek more knowledge and tricks- the way our Arkansas and Missouri season is structured- you hunt alone and kill quick you sit out for a week - sure is nice to be able to go and help someone else!! I feel that I've beat him if I get him into gun range - I've done my part- rest is up to the shooter!

Missouri hunter

I would say I hunt solo or with someone equally. I hunted my first season completely alone and harvested my first turkey that season. Then I got my brother into turkey hunting and spent the next couple years hunting with him. My dad hunts now too and my wife. My son is going to turkey hunt his first time this spring. I know that going forward I'll be spending a lot of time hunting with my kids. I will always try to get a couple mornings on my own if possible but really enjoy hunting with family. I like the show more than actually killing one anyway.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

mlee3553

I like to do my hunting alone unless I have one of my kids with me, I'm super patient and don't have very large tracts to hunt, so I will sit in known spots and call every now and then waiting for a gobbler to finally show up.
In wildness is preservation of the world so seek the wolf in thyself

appalachianassassin

I prefer to  hunt alone because I like shooting the turkey

NOmad

I prefer to be alone and most of the time, that is how I get it. Over the last two years, I have started bringing my dad along (never turkey hunted before but said I was always talking about it). Originally it was so he could hear a turkey gobble, he had never heard one before, but then after a few really great hunts I asked him if he wanted to try his hand on the gun. He killed a screaming Alabama longbeard right next to me on his 64th birthday. To this day, it is one of my best memories in the world and one I will never forget.

I will sacrifice a bit of my sanity to deal with his heavy breathing, loud walking, and untimely fidgeting because I know I will be praying to God for one more of those days in the future and I am not willing to regret not taking him as much as I could have...

Outside of that, I have one close friend I will hunt with (shooting or not). He was a bit of a mentor for me and taught me 10 years worth of knowledge in a couple seasons. Every time I go with him I learn something from just watching. We both have the same attitude and approach to the bird which is important to me. Other great friends I have that like to turkey hunt, I simply wont go with them because I know we are not on the same page. I refuse to cheapen the greatest experience on the planet for someone that is killing time until deer season.

Swamp_870

Alone. Especially for the first turkey or two of the season. After I've scratched the itch I'll go with buddies that are struggling and help them kill one. 

I love turkey hunting alone and used to hunt 100% alone, but we only get so many days each spring. It's nice to have a couple close friends to share the woods with year after year.

dublelung

Mostly alone so I can tell the lies the way I want and nobody knows the difference. I do enjoy hunting with my dad, wife, and grandchildren though.

Timmer

If one of my kids can go that is for sure my #1 choice.  That's the best one on one time you can get!  Otherwise, I hunt alone.  I sneak hunt all day and my schedule is dependant on what transpires during the day.  I don't want to have to worry about meeting up with anyone at any specific time.  Also, I cover a lot of ground and that requires a lot of hunting area.  Selfishly, in order to have enough land to sneak hunt, I don't want to split that space up with anyone else.   I also feel it is good on occassion to be alone with no one but yourself and your thoughts.  Turkey hunting is the only place I get that alone time.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Gooserbat

Depends.  If I'm the shooter its a short list of people who i am comfortable with.  Of im the caller/guide then it's all fun.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.