Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you prefer to hunt by yourself or with others&why?

Started by 1iagobblergetter, March 31, 2024, 10:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Alone, that way i can only blame myself ...

I have in the past taken a few special people hunting.

I just have my own way i like hunting turkeys.

Vintage

With my Daughter. She always shoots first. When she has to go back to work I hunt by myself.

zelmo1

I am way more effective when alone, but enjoy the comraderie of tandem hunting. I have a hard time saying no to people I deem worthy of my time. The wife gets opening day and the weekends, during the week I am alone the first week. After that, I am a guide/ packmule, lol. I enjoy every minute of it. Z

tracker vi

Since Grandpa passed and my younger brother grew up it's just me.

Duckdogdad

Hunted many years with a mentor, while I was learning, then when he needed someone to take him. I have my own property, I have taken my two grandsons. Really enjoy that. I have taken a friend who is a world class turkey hunter a half dozen times this year and learned a lot,  though I have shot 75 or so birds and hunted them over 40 years.

As I get older I am likely to take someone with me as a safety precaution. When the Toms are dancing, and the gobble jukebox is playing, it's a shame for others to miss the production.

Sir-diealot

I prefer to hunt by myself but do not mind somebody else being on the property, having the problems I do with my body I like to have folks around in case something happens. Not where I can see or hear them, but a cell phone call and they can be there inside of 10 or so minutes is nice.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

CALLM2U

When I was younger and the main goal was to kill a turkey, I only hunted alone. 

Now, I'd much rather go with someone and share the experience. 

bwhana

100% prefer hunting with one of my boys or great friends over being alone.  Doesn't matter to me who shoots.  I prefer the shared memories on our hunts over my solo harvests. I have several hunts that no one would believe happened without a witness or video proof and would not have been the same alone.

Same for deer too.

If I had to hunt alone completely, I would stop hunting.

High plains drifter

Muzzy61

I prefer to hunt alone, ( except for hunting with young grandson). But some of my most fun hunts have been been with friends.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

jimmyg97

Alone you have less movement and can sneak through the woods more easily, but it is always nice to share success with a buddy or family member.

bbcoach

BOTH!  I like to hunt by myself but it is SOOOOO gratifying to hunt and or call one up for someone else.  I've been fortunate enough to take several hunters when they killed that first bird.  I'm like a KID in a candy store when this happens. 

g8rvet

I hunt with others a lot of the time.  My success rate is much higher when hunting alone though. In the last 5 years, all but one bird I killed I was alone.  A lot of that is because if I am with someone, I often set them towards the bird.  I don't consider hunting together if we ride together but chase different birds.  That is two solo hunts to me.

I only hunt in the spring with people that I would truly be just as happy if they killed one as if I did.  That is a foreign concept to a lot of folks, but I only hunt with family or very good friends. I quit doing the casual friends hunts years ago. 

If I take you hunting (or go with you) - turkey or duck, there is no greater compliment from me.
If I take you fishing, maybe maybe not.  If you turn that into a hunt invite, you are gravy.
(And not implying either is a coveted prize, just that I only hunt with those I am close to)
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

jdl80

I hunt 99.9% solo. The couple buddies of mine who "hunt" aren't reliable  enough to put together a solid plan, and they all hunt different styles. Not to mention we all lie through our teeth to each other...

Badger

I do hunt with my friend who is almost 81, but we split up when we hit the woods.  Other times I hunt alone.