Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you prefer to hunt by yourself or with others&why?

Started by 1iagobblergetter, March 31, 2024, 10:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on March 31, 2024, 10:52:33 AM
Do you prefer to hunt by yourself or with others & why?

Myself.

While I enjoy taking my kids or a friend as a non-hunter, If I am hunting, it is almost always by myself.

If I am hunting with an experienced hunter, one of us will lose out on calling and hunting the way we prefer.

I feel like turkey hunting and harvesting a bird is a solitary experience.  My favorite part of turkey hunting is fooling a bird and calling him in...  As it is with most experienced hunters.  Hunting with another person, generally one person is calling and the other is shooting.  I have ZERO desire to have someone call in a bird for me to shoot.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

captpete

There are only 2 people I hunt with...my wife and buddy. The wife has only hunted for about 7-8 years. She has no desire to hunt by herself or learn to call. My buddy and I deer hunt together. Depending on what season the wife decides to hunt, my buddy and I will hunt together. If either one of them tags out before I do, then I hunt by myself. Since retiring, I have bought a tag for a different season because I have more time to hunt than them.

Happy

If I am on the gun, I prefer to be alone. I like being by myself in the woods. I like taking my boy and hunting with a friend, but they are the trigger men then. I have nothing against others, but I tend to be more efficient by myself.

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Yoder409

Myself the vast majority of the time.

Used to take the Mrs. and kids.  But they all quit on me.  Hunt with my brother on occasion.  And more recently, I've introduced my cousin to the sport.  So, I'm trying to flatten the learning curve, helping him get up to speed.  And, very occasionally I'll hunt with a buddy here or there.

But mainly turkey hunting is a solo gig for me. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Joneshunter

On my land I'm basically solo maybe every blue moon I'll get a buddy. But if they ask me to go with them i probably will

boatpaddle

I prefer to hunt alone in the spring...

Kenny Morgan wrote a book...Turkey Hunting, A ONE MAN'S GAME.

Great read !!!

I really enjoy taking younger hunters in the fall...
Usually allot more activity in the woods...Rutting deer, bears wondering around, & moving around to find the turkeys..

A good break up of a flock & it's game on...
The younger hunters get to hear turkey calling at it's best.
If they do harvest a bird, both of us are rewarded with a life long memory...
You'll hear the story repeated numerous times to anyone, that will listen...

The look in their eyes & the smile on their face....PRICELESS!!

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Old Swamper

deathfoot

I go alone 99% of the time. I may be on the same property as my buddy but we usually aren't hunting side by side.

I've traveled the country to turkey hunt. The past several years has been solo. I've gone with others but prefer to travel alone as well. This year tho, I'm going with a group to Kentucky. I'm a bit nervous about it cause I'm so used to doing my own thing.

I just enjoy taking it all in and doing what I want and getting away from everything.

GregGwaltney

Alone 99% of the time, unless it is with my family.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

Spyderman

ChesterCopperpot

Alone or with my one well-trusted partner. I'll take others on occasion, but my preference is either alone or with the one partner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eggshell

If this is the day I am serious about bagging a gobbler, I will be alone. The irony is I will probably put more effort in if someone is with me than if I am by myself on most days. If birds aren't vocal or I get tired I go home on my own. I feel obligated to put my best into getting someone else an opportunity. I truly care more about others success than my own. I have two people that I generally hunt with and trust. I would guess 80 % of my time I am alone.

ferocious calls

Old gobblers hunt best alone.  That said, hunting with others let's me see more Toms get harvested. 

ScottTaulbee

If I'm hunting, I'm alone. 100% of the time. But I do enjoy calling for others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dougas

I hunt alone
All by myself
You know when I hunt alone
I prefer to be by myself

I do enjoy hunting with others and I do occasionally. I have a 2 good buddies, my brother and my adult grandson I hunt with. What we do, is park and everyone goes their separate ways. We meet up for lunch and then split up and meet up at dark. Sometimes we split up and hunt in pairs.

The reason I usually hunt alone is that I have no one to answer to, no time limit to meet up, if I make a mistake, it's my own. I hate it when I make a mistake that costs someone an opportunity and I would rather to not lose out on an opportunity because of someone else's mistakes, though that doesn't bother me near as much as when I cost someone their opportunity.