Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you prefer to hunt by yourself or with others&why?

Started by 1iagobblergetter, March 31, 2024, 10:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

Just curious on others take on this! Myself i like hunting alone or with my son and thats about it..Its not that im anti-social completely,but people ask to go with me often because ive hunted a long time, i have some of my own ground to hunt& hunt a great area..
Next thing you know they forget whose ground it is....Seems like theres a fine line on helping others and getting taken advantage of...

Dtrkyman

I am a guide, when I am the one hunting it is generally alone.

But it's all good as long as I am hunting.

ruination

Honestly, I like hunting with others because it is fun to share experiences.

I have turkey hunted with someone else twice. 
.410 Favors the Bold

ruination

Quote from: ruination on March 31, 2024, 11:21:27 AM
Honestly, I like hunting with others because it is fun to share experiences.

I have turkey hunted with someone else twice.

The people that would like to hunt with me I would not trust with my spots, either.
.410 Favors the Bold

IdahoMountainGobble

Kinda both, haha. I primarily hunt alone but sometimes a Bear hunting buddy comes along.He doesn't move hardly at all, just glasses hillsides, is super quiet and he doesn't call. So if the bird blows out I know it's my own fault. I used to hunt with a bunch folks but too much movement and bad calling, and more of a "party" atmosphere made me ditch them. If I fill my tags I'll go with people and call for them.

Sixes

I rarely hunt with someone other than being on the same property.

Mostly, I am by myself for a trip

SwampRooster17

I prefer to hunt along 99% of the time. I do enjoy going a few times a season w my brothers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

99% alone. I enjoy the wilderness, I turkey hunt to escape and enjoy serenity. Once in awhile, I'll hunt with a few friends, but this is seldom. I've always enjoyed the one-on-one "battle", I know if there is movement, noise or other foul-ups that scare a bird, I only have me to blame. Turkey hunting in my social circle is not popular, my friends do know that from mid April through Memorial Day I keep to myself, no late nights etc. My wife understands this passion and plans around these days. This time of year is my favorite and always will be for me......Happy Easter....
"Solo hunter"

GobbleNut

I am okay with doing either and usually do both about equally during the season.  There are pros and cons to both, as well.  There is a certain celebratory nature in a successful multi-person hunt that can't be duplicated in an "alone" hunt, but the total control in a solitary hunt in terms of calling and tactics also has its appeal.
Now, if I am truly wanting to kill a gobbler, the choice is pretty simple....I want to go ALONE. 

Bottomland OG

Quote from: Tom007 on March 31, 2024, 11:37:01 AM
99% alone. I enjoy the wilderness, I turkey hunt to escape and enjoy serenity. Once in awhile, I'll hunt with a few friends, but this is seldom. I've always enjoyed the one-on-one "battle", I know if there is movement, noise or other foul-ups that scare a bird, I only have me to blame. Turkey hunting in my social circle is not popular, my friends do know that from mid April through Memorial Day I keep to myself, no late nights etc. My wife understands this passion and plans around these days. This time of year is my favorite and always will be for me......Happy Easter....
I couldn't have said it better myself. This is me almost to the T.
Other than I used to have a couple kids that was friends of the family that hunted with me but they have grown up now.
For me the best part is being able witness the woods wake up each morning. It's hard to pay attention to the details if someone else is present.

Turkeyman

I've always considered spring turkey hunting a solitary thing whereas fall turkey hunting can be a "group" thing. Any time I've spring turkey hunted with anyone we may have met up first thing in the morning then went our separate ways only to meet up at day's end.

Treerooster

I hunt lone.

With nobody else.

Like to roam.

I prefer to by myself.

And that's a poem.

gobblers roost

After my son gets his, then I'm on my own.I love both

ShortMagFan

Alone or with my son. Occasionally I get the chance to hunt with someone who's turkey hunting skills I really respect and I try to learn as much as possible from them. But most times when I've got a companion that isn't my son it's someone who is more of a liability than i prefer

Paulmyr

Among other things for me, turkey hunting is one way to get away from the rat race. I'll hunt areas with fewer turkeys and drive further if it means getting away from people. Sharing a camp might be cool. When in the turkey woods I'm there for me period. Whether it's matching wits or just the solitude, I'm saving it for myself. It brings me peace. I'm selfish that way.

I do make one exception, when my dad feels up to it, I will share my "church" with him. At 80 He's talking about getting into the woods this season for the 1st time since  since covid drained him a in 2020. It will be my pleasure to tag along with him.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.