2024 Trumpet Kill Thread

Started by davisd9, March 30, 2024, 03:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

Posted for Crow

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

crow

Thanks Happy. Called in yesterday to the gun with my hickory trumpet, which I forgot to put in the  picture, it was hot out. Old Fox 12ga

davisd9

Quote from: Jhp6767 on May 25, 2024, 11:49:13 AMSeth Hamon
Brazilian Rosewood / Ivory

L.F Cox Cocobolo/Ivory and a Zebrawood Cox pot call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love that old cox call. Would love to find one in that slimmer model.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Ranger on May 23, 2024, 11:03:06 AM
Who made that one [mention]Ranger [/mention]? Sure looks Trotter-ish.

Ranger

Call was made by a C McCullough as a meal ticket for his Grandson when he went off to war. War Between the States. C McCullough was a gunsmith and mountain man that made flintlock rifles in the NC mountains. Grandson was named Pvt. Artemis Pritchett, in a letter to his married sister S. Pickens he states he fed half his camp with a pair of young gobblers killed during the Mississippi campaigns. Call was carried the duration of the War, and to my knowledge is the oldest yelper type call in the country. And its just as deadly today as it was then, that I have personal testimony to
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Ranger on May 27, 2024, 09:05:28 PMCall was made by a C McCullough as a meal ticket for his Grandson when he went off to war. War Between the States. C McCullough was a gunsmith and mountain man that made flintlock rifles in the NC mountains. Grandson was named Pvt. Artemis Pritchett, in a letter to his married sister S. Pickens he states he fed half his camp with a pair of young gobblers killed during the Mississippi campaigns. Call was carried the duration of the War, and to my knowledge is the oldest yelper type call in the country. And its just as deadly today as it was then, that I have personal testimony to
You ain't selling me Lipstop, mouthpiece, and copper scream a Yank from Illinois.

EZ

Seth Hamon and Dave Hodgkins[attach id=87372]

aclawrence

This gobbler never answered my calls but his group of hens did. I softy called from an old road through the woods. A hen responded so I stepped off the road and took a seat. She kept talking so I laid my gun down so I could hold my phone to video. She came right in and was followed by 3-4 more hens. I had no idea he was there until I glanced to the left and saw his red head. He was in full strut trailing about 20 yards behind the hens. They worked past me at 15-20 yards. When he went behind a tree I snatched up my gun and finished the deal as soon as he stepped out.

Jhp6767

Quote from: Sixes on April 28, 2024, 04:13:39 PMQuick weekend trip with a buddy to his small farm produced this one.

Billy Buice Buckeye Burl (gift from my daughter a few years ago and my favorite call)
That's one sharp Buice!

tracker#1

Greg Gwaltney and Mike Battey omega teamed up on this gobbler

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Wvgobbler

Congratulations everyone on your gobblers!!

Zobo

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 27, 2024, 11:17:45 PM
Quote from: Ranger on May 27, 2024, 09:05:28 PMCall was made by a C McCullough as a meal ticket for his Grandson when he went off to war. War Between the States. C McCullough was a gunsmith and mountain man that made flintlock rifles in the NC mountains. Grandson was named Pvt. Artemis Pritchett, in a letter to his married sister S. Pickens he states he fed half his camp with a pair of young gobblers killed during the Mississippi campaigns. Call was carried the duration of the War, and to my knowledge is the oldest yelper type call in the country. And its just as deadly today as it was then, that I have personal testimony to
You ain't selling me Lipstop, mouthpiece, and copper scream a Yank from Illinois.

I'm so glad you acknowledged him as a "yank."
Hopefully that will turn off some people and loosen up the demand! 
 :thanks: 
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Ranger

He's just rambling about someone I guess. That call was made 60+ years before any Turpin yelper or 30+ years older than the Jordan call, oldest suction type turkey call in the country. And maybe the only existing call that fed soldiers in a time of war. Plain Folk in a Rich Mans War
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Old Swamper

Question is, how many of these pics were simply "posed" with the yelpers. ;D

davisd9

Quote from: Old Swamper on June 13, 2024, 01:10:03 PMQuestion is, how many of these pics were simply "posed" with the yelpers. ;D

No idea, nor care, but I can count at least 12 that I know died from a trumpet call.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer