turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

CAR OR SUV/TRUCK??????(PICS))))

Started by 3.5inchpainfulldeath, February 14, 2011, 05:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3.5inchpainfulldeath

So i'm thinking of trading in my 04 excursion v10... average 12mpg on a 2010 ford fusion average 29 mpg...  

Problem is I love my truck, and I love/like the car.  

With the looming gas price increase, etc.  what do you all say?

Pros...
Excursion 4x4, 8 person seating, 15k towing capacity.... 12 mpg on a good day!!!

Cons:
MPG, It's huge, not exactly economical by any means....

Fusion:::

Pros::  sports car feel/look  in a family car v6... that thing gets up a rolls... 29 mpg average... 32 on a flat at 70 mph, ford sync, awesome sound, fully loaded

Cons... not as roomy... obviously... 3rd kid on way, and will be tight in back seat...    adding additional year payment at same price as excurstion (getting rid of excursion), but adding year....

We also have an Expedition so we still have 4x4, roomy suv, with towing capabilities with v8 in it...

Give me help.... very conflicted here....   The excursion is my baby, but.... with new baby on the way and Expedition SUV is it a right move to trade in a huge suv for savings on gas and compromise on space?????

turkey slayer

I would go to a smaller suv but no need to go to a car

new2turkey

I went from a 2000 ford explorer to a 2003 chevy impala a year ago... I get decent gas with the impala, I like it more though. Rides smooth and it's pretty quick when I want it to be

stinkpickle

Will that additional year of payments (plus taxes) offset the price of the gas you'll save?  Probably not.  I'd keep what you got.

3.5inchpainfulldeath

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 14, 2011, 06:29:07 PM
Will that additional year of payments (plus taxes) offset the price of the gas you'll save?  Probably not.  I'd keep what you got.

I'm paying 203 bucks a month in gas to go an average of 900 miles in the excursion

Fusion is 94 bucks a month to go the same mileage... that's like getting a 1200 dollar a year raise......  yes i'll be adding a year, but....  over a 5 year period that... $6000 in the bank.....

Crutch

Not a ford person but I have one now. Sounds like smart money. Your trade in on the fusion should be significant over the suv in the future also, i would expect.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

VAHUNTER

Matt i think you would look real cool in a ford fusion  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
i enjoyed the ride in the excursion the other day. but i could not handle the 12mpg
Good things come to those who wait

guesswho

900 miles a month?  So thats about 30 miles a day or 30 minutes.   I wouldn't think the space or lack of would be to much of a burden to deal with 30 minutes a day considering the savings.

I just got a 2011 Fusion for my new company car.  First thing I looked at was the trunk.  All my turkey hunting stuff including my gun will fit back there with room for a bird or two left over, so I'm good to go.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

pcgobbler

The 6K in gas savings could buy alot of turkey stuff.  IMHO, I think gas is going to keep going up till we drill here baby.  Not likely to happen with Obama in the WH.  I have a little 00 Contour I drive back and forth to work.  It's 65 miles round trip.  It has 165K and runs fine.  An altenator and a fuel filter is all I've ever done to it.

Odessa

I'll leave all the calculations to someone else; I will just state that I like the Chevy Trailblazer size SUV.  I am on my third one (all 4x4) and I bought my daughter a 2x4.  We have gotten great service out of all of them - I have 106,500 miles on my 2008 and hate that Chevy has quit making them. Probably look at the Toyota next time - they have a similar size vehicle.  The size is right for my needs, average 19 mph (city/highway), of course that mileage drops considerably when I hunt a week and stay in 4-wheel - get about 14 mph then.
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

Jay

Having a vehicle you can drive affordably is smart, as long as you have something to hunt in. Personally driving a car would take me a lot of getting use to. Too many years of riding high in my SUV, and son's trucks.

stinkpickle

Quote from: 3.5inchpainfulldeath on February 14, 2011, 07:22:23 PM
Quote from: stinkpickle on February 14, 2011, 06:29:07 PM

I'm paying 203 bucks a month in gas to go an average of 900 miles in the excursion

Fusion is 94 bucks a month to go the same mileage... that's like getting a 1200 dollar a year raise......  yes i'll be adding a year, but....  over a 5 year period that... $6000 in the bank.....

Now, take that $6000 and subtract the trade difference (not great for big SUV's these days) and the sales tax.

3.5inchpainfulldeath

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 14, 2011, 07:39:05 PM
Matt i think you would look real cool in a ford fusion  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
i enjoyed the ride in the excursion the other day. but i could not handle the 12mpg
Quote from: Jay on February 14, 2011, 09:28:16 PM
Having a vehicle you can drive affordably is smart, as long as you have something to hunt in. Personally driving a car would take me a lot of getting use to. Too many years of riding high in my SUV, and son's trucks.

I still have my Expedition... that thing is almost as big as the excursion and get's 20 mpg...  The car is going to be just a gas mile getting machine...  payment is the same, insurance is the same, gas savings triple....  I'm still confilicted.  But I do have my 4x4 Eddie Baur Expedition...  so i'm good on the turkey moblie, plus I have free use of our companies 4x4 trucks...

3.5inchpainfulldeath

SO i didn't buy the fusion, but i did buy a car that gets 25 to 29 mpg.... if i stay off the throttle of the 365 horsies....

crazy fast, for a family sedan...... :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock:

mossy835

A little late on your post but I had to make a similar decision and I went with a used Honda CRV all wheel drive (no stump jumping any more) to replace my Dodge Dakota 4X4 heavy duty. Went from 16 to 18 mpg to 22 to 27 mpg average including back woods roads, snow and ice. Fold the rear seats up and I can haul all of my gear and then some. Miss the Dodge but not the gas usage. Averaged 3 to 4 thousand miles a month for years but not anymore.
Good luck with the new car it will work for you.