only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shooting Jakes ??

Started by Yoder409, March 27, 2024, 06:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

appalachianassassin

Never under any circumstances

Hook hanger

I don't promote jake harvests but I know there is case's  of mistaken identity and I know most kids think a turkey is just that a turkey. So in states with just a 1 bird limit they should be allowed to be harvested, but in states with multiple  tags i would want to see only one tag could be used for a jake. Me personally I won't shoot one unless it would be a mistaken identity.

Badger

bbcoach

When I started hunting turkeys some 15 years ago, a buddy of mine told me that you can shoot jakes until you kill your first gobbler.  Once you cross that line, you can NEVER go back!  My first bird was a gobbler, so I plan on upholding this Tradition.  For youth and first-time hunters, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't allow it.  I personally won't shoot a bearded hen either (in States where it states bearded bird).  I've had plenty of opportunities for this, as well. 

ScottTaulbee

Most Jakes don't survive until the second year, and not only that but Jakes do no breeding. If they do, they aren't fertile. So realistically, killing a Jake has zero impact on the population, where as killing a breeding gobbler during breeding season does. I'm not above shooting a Jake, and if he comes in gobbling, he's taking a ride in my truck. I don't discriminate. I get very few days to hunt anymore and it's what I dream about every day, at least once a hour, all year long.

Here is a scenario that is very likely to happen in my life

After working 36 days straight, I get a day off, I have no clue when I might get my next one, I found a piece of public that surprisingly doesn't have 10 trucks at it, I am in god's creation, watching the spring woods wake up, feeling the cold morning air, hearing whipoor wills, and the little birds, a turkey gobbles, on the mountain, I climb 1,300 feet straight up, I respond, he gobbles again, closer, I respond, he goes silent. My heart is in my throat, my palms are sweating, I have no clue how everything can't hear my heart beating, 5 minutes later a red head pops up and he has a 4 or 5" beard, long legs, a Jake. I've played the game, I've won, and I'm pulling the trigger. It makes no difference to me if he has button spurs and a 4" beard or 1 1/2" spurs and a 11" beard. Once I get home, the kids ohh and aww over it a little, we take a picture and then the spurs and beard go in a box with the rest of them. The real trophy was the experience and that fine eating you can't get elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhoward11

Me, never have, never will. I'll leave those to new and younger hunters for the experience and introduction to the sport. If that's what they choose.

Mbhyman88

I would not shoot a Jake on purpose.  Nor would I let my child.  In my opinion the goal of turkey hunting is to outsmart and harvest a longbeard.  Not a hen, not a jake, but a longbeard.

Vintage

To each his own. Shoot what you want as long as it's legal.

NCL

When I started turkey hunting 25 years ago I made the decision to not shoot jakes, I can not remember why I made that decision but I did and stuck to it. I have had a few opportunity to shoot jakes and did not shoot. My daughter had a jake within 10 feet a couple years ago and did not shoot. I do not have anything againt shooting a jake I just don't

JeffC

1st turkey I took was a super Jake, gobbled like a mature Tom, came from 300yds, I bumped his hen out after she caught me moving, luckily, she flew opposite direction, he gobbled and strutted across the field to decoy, I was super happy to take him and have a display on wall with his fan, spurs and 4" beard.  Fought a super jake last year, had a great gobble, couldn't believe he was a Jake, had him in full strut at 25yds. We, hopefully, have a date again this year.. 
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

richard black

I personally don't shoot jakes but that is just me. If someone else wants shot a jake thats up to them. I don't get upset about it.

Bottomland OG

I'll start by saying I have killed a few in my life but it's been a really long time since that has happened and wouldn't knowingly shoot one now for nothing. I hate to see anyone shoot a Jake other than a child but on the other hand I know mistakes happen. When I say a few I can count on one hand. My first turkey was a Jake 44 years ago and I remember that hunt like it was yesterday. The others have been what you could call accidental and made me sick when I walk up to them. Anyone that has killed very many has had a mess up or two. Most specially if you hunt mountains, a lot of the time all you get to look at is from his eyeball up. You either shoot or don't shoot that is the only chance you get. I've let Toms get away from me because I wasn't 100% sure.
So never say never because it can happen.

Ihuntoldschool

Jakes are FULLY capable of breeding and fertilizing.

They're usually discouraged from doing so.

capecodmike

A number of years ago I did shoot a Jake.  Then each year i got better at honing my craft.  The thrill for me is calling the bird in, not the kill.

As I became a better / more skillful hunter, I used the jaker's to upgrade my skill set.

I began see to Jakes as practice dekes, try this, try that.

I enjoy watching and letting them walk.  Knowing if they come back next year they probably won't be quite so lucky. 

So if you want to shoot a Jake it's OK by me.  But the real thrill is to lure ol' tom in. 

Prospector

Killed a few in my early days. Made a rule for myself to not to anymore. Later home state made it illegal and I'm glad they did. That's just my opinion. My truth is while I eat every bird, it is not why I hunt them.
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!