OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

OG BONEY Spotted On YouTube

Started by 10th Legionaire, March 22, 2024, 09:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

10th Legionaire

I'm a new kid around here so this may be old news because the video is at least four months old.

Watching a Meateater marathon yesterday they did an Osceola hunt on the invite of a local who put them on public ground birds.

OG BONEY shows up in the video at about 1:16 minute mark on the back of the local guys vest. Evidently Richard Martinez is a member here. I thought it was pretty cool BONEY was representing.

https://youtu.be/ryRzKbs9YT4?si=3XzZyf8k9xTiWVC7
Less is more

mlee3553

That is very cool. I'm knew here as well just purchased my first boney patch looking forward to showing it off when our season opens up here in a couple weeks.
In wildness is preservation of the world so seek the wolf in thyself

1iagobblergetter

Thats Kool! We have alot of Great members! Watched the video also..They cleaned up those public land birds!, Looked like a fun hunt!

arkrem870

Surprised the locals that hunt in the guides area didn't tar and feather him. Loose lips sink ships

Paulmyr

Richard is not a guide. He's the volunteer chairman for the local chapter of Backcountry Hunters and  Anglers. Group dedicated to the preservation and advocacy of public lands and introducing people to hunting and fishing.

Richard met the meateater at a fund raiser or other event I believe. Rhinella expressed his interest in hunting Florida and Richard gave him his number and told him start applying for permits.

When the permits were drawn a couple years later Rhinella called him up and Richard said come on down.

We interviewed Richard on our podcast. His knowledge of the Everglades really shines through.

Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Paulmyr

Quote from: Paulmyr on March 22, 2024, 04:38:11 PM
Richard met the meateater at a fund raiser or other event I believe. Rhinella expressed his interest in hunting Florida and Richard gave him his number and told him start applying for permits.

When the permits were drawn a couple years later Rhinella called him up and Richard said come on down.

I checked that info and Rhinella did a live podcast from a Backcountry hunters and anglers convention.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Cut N Run

Pretty cool to see. 

I have the Boney patch with a gobbler in each hand at the same place on my vest.

If you know, you know.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Sanders153

Quote from: Cut N Run on March 22, 2024, 08:06:20 PM
Pretty cool to see. 

I have the Boney patch with a gobbler in each hand at the same place on my vest.

If you know, you know.

Jim

Ahh the 2014.. That is a unique vintage one, hard to find to

joey46

That is a good Meateater episode.  I've watched it once and skimmed it twice. Doesn't mention the exact Florida area.  Since the reporting system implemented in 2023 isn't discussed guessing it was filmed in 2022 or just prior. Some can guess the location but since it was a quota hunt it can be narrowed down - maybe - a few other clues are there also. I'll look for Boney if I watch it again to check out the recipes Martinez cooks up at the end.

Update - Boney shows at least twice more.  He's a sneaky guy.

arkrem870

Quote from: Paulmyr on March 22, 2024, 04:38:11 PM
Richard is not a guide. He's the volunteer chairman for the local chapter of Backcountry Hunters and  Anglers. Group dedicated to the preservation and advocacy of public lands and introducing people to hunting and fishing.

We interviewed Richard on our podcast. His knowledge of the Everglades really shines through.

Florida residents are raising cane about the amount of non resident hunters in their state. All over social media. Etc. and lobbying for non resident restrictions.

Meateater is one of or possibly the biggest influencer pimping out public lands .......... Is 15 min of fame by an experienced Florida resident worth putting a million of eyes on your hunting spot?  Western hunting - draw odds etc have been devastated since meateater/and others put them on roast.  Florida more than any other state has been pimped by the influencers and feeling the squeeze. Yet people still celebrate this behavior.......loose lips sink ships. Been saying it for years now. Pull your head out of the sand.

joey46

Florida has a frustrating but decent quota system.  It's now 2024 and all social media is firmly entrenched.  Either live with it or keep beating your head against the wall.  ADAPT.  Even the golf courses are busy now.  I know how the quota system in Florida works plus know if I wait until midweek on a romp and stomp no quotas area at the end of a season people won't be a problem  Adaptability is key now .  The 80s and 90s have sailed by.  Btw- give me your guess where Rinella was and what year?
Btw - always enjoy dueling with someone with no State or age in their bio.  You could be from Iran. Lol.

arkrem870

I didnt and won't watch. But why does it matter if I know where they are? They prob have a 1/2 million people watching. Maybe more. If 1% is influenced to put in for Florida quota hunt based off what they saw.....That's 5000 more applicants chasing limited tags. Pushing out locals. And others. The ones that don't draw may well end up on no quota locations.....after they consume pinhoti project and the like

This isn't a theory. It's been proven in a state we discuss regularly......Mississippi. Among others. Loose lips sink ships.  You know it and I know it.

10th Legionaire

I sure as heck didn't start this thread to fire folks up over the pimping of areas to hunt and fish. I just thought it was cool that BONEY was on the tube.

The loose lips thing first came on my radar in the late '60's or early'70's reading articles by Homer Circle in Sports Afield magazine. Homer was decrying the what's now termed "spot burn" being put out there by other writers.

Yeah it's not the best but guides and outfitters have been in the business of spot burning for years and years. I just recently watched a video called Silver King; The Birth of Big Game Fishing. It centers around tarpon fishing in the Ft. Meyers/Sanibel Island area in the early 1900's. Tarpon fishing in that area pretty much exploded the growth of the whole area from a handful of fish camps to what it is today.

Not cool but it ain't ever gonna stop unfortunately.
Less is more