turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I Hate Poachers

Started by HunterMan, March 16, 2024, 04:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slicksbeagles1

Time for some trail cameras. That's the type people that has made it hard for honest hunters to get permission to hunt. I hope you catch him, he will be back!

Hook hanger

I would call the game warden and still  inform him of what took place and ask if he would patrol your area enough to  show his presence. That tends to make repeat offenders think twice or move on to other areas.

TonyTurk

I'd consider posting signs stating the place has cameras/video surveillance- even if you really don't have cameras up.  Assuming the landowner agrees, of course.

tal

When they're that low down AND that bold about it, it'll take the second coming to cure it.

High plains drifter

If you see illegal activities, always call 911 immediately. Try to get as much information as possible. Get a license number.

Timmer

Very angering, both about the poaching and the sheriff's efforts.  I had an issue on my property and the deputy acted annoyed from the moment he got out of his car.  He gave me about 3 mins to get the issue documented and then left.  I never heard a thing after.  I assumed he didn't want to deal with a wild game issue.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Turkz39

I would most definitely have the warden's make a presence in the area and let them know about what happened .  I would also get some game cameras and put them up higher in the trees so no one would likely see them.  Then I would check all the areas that the poacher could have accessed your land, neighbor, government access, they had to get into spot somehow, and it is most likely the path of least resistance.  Or the way they can stay in cover where they can't be seen.  I guarantee if you poke around a little bit and talk with some people close by you will figure out where  they came in and who it was.   If your birds are seen from the public road could be someone much closer than you expect.    Like some others have said most states have a hefty fines for illegally taking wild turkeys,  Even most outlaw poachers will check a few turkeys in for bragging so give all your info to the warden  dates/time/ anything you can remember they have some clever ways of finding things out now.    You would be amazed,  technology and cell phones have  came along ways.  Most people now are taking pictures  of there harvest with in minutes or maybe a video who knows,   Just remember this who ever the poacher was he bragged to someone about his turkey, Don't let it eat ya to bad ,   Get back out and find another bird to hunt.

High plains drifter

Quote from: eggshell on March 17, 2024, 07:34:30 AM
They can levy some pretty hefty fines and seizures here in Ohio. You pay a standard fine, and after that you pay restitution for the animal. There's a scale of value and on deer it is set by the total inches of antler on a buck, that can get really high as in the thousands. After that they can ask for seizure of all the gear and even vehicles used and license suspensions. I think almost every state now honors License suspensions for other states. Trouble is they are slow updating the data bases. The value of a gobbler is $750.00 and that is added on top of fines. Poaching a gobbler will cost you in excess of $1,000.00 here, but idiots still do it thinking they'll never get caught. Then they whine and cry unfair when they get caught.  Always call a game warden, sheriffs only look at it as nuisance trespass and don't want to mess with it.

https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-administrative-code/rule-1501:31-16-01
road hunting with 22s is low bagger poaching and needs to be stopped.Call the sherriff.