OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pattern Opinions

Started by PoorMansWrangler, March 16, 2024, 09:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorMansWrangler

Hi everyone,

Fairly new to turkey hunting, was hoping to get some opinions on this pattern. Should be patterns at 25, 30,40 and 50 yards. 11-87 12 gauge, sumtoy choke, 3 inch long beard xr #5.
Thanks a ton
https://postimg.cc/gallery/YYtqpjD

PoorMansWrangler

Pictures are out of order! Should be 25, 50, 30 and 40 yards!

Dtrkyman

Not impressive at all, shoot a larger target and make sure your pattern is not off poa.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: PoorMansWrangler on March 16, 2024, 09:41:00 AM
Hi everyone,

Fairly new to turkey hunting, was hoping to get some opinions on this pattern. Should be patterns at 25, 30,40 and 50 yards. 11-87 12 gauge, sumtoy choke, 3 inch long beard xr #5.
Thanks a ton
https://postimg.cc/gallery/YYtqpjD
There's something off there, I use a Mossberg 835 12 gauge with a sum toy choke and XR 5's and from 30 yards and in there will be a hole the size of a golf ball in the target. There should be way more pellets than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoorMansWrangler

Ok, glad I am not the only one that thought it was off. Pattern is way different than my 870 with the same loads. The only thing I can think is the 11-87 has a much shorter barrel, I believe it has a 21 inch barrel

bbcoach

Here's a link that will help you.  https://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,30801.0.html

Always use a 30" by 30" target to pattern your gun with.  Start out with dove loads to get POA/POI issues resolved up front.  With those 3" Longbeard #5's, you should be getting around 180- 200 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards for reference.  If you have more questions, give us a shout.

PoorMansWrangler

I appreciate it, I will give the 30x 30 a shot and see. This is a newer gun to me, so wasn't sure what to expect.

Bottomland OG

Something is definitely off with your pattern. I have a 11-87 and a 870 with the 21" barrels and at 25yds with just about any of my chokes that are .665 and a couple that are a tad tighter shoot a baseball size pattern with Lbxr's #5 or #6. Like the others said you probably need to get a larger backer for your target. I'm sure you just need to do a little more shooting and you'll get it figured out.

PoorMansWrangler

I'm heading out now to try and get some luck with some light loads. I brought the sumtoy and the factory extra full, will post pictures. Appreciate all the help!

sixbird

It could be your gun doesn't like the Sumtoy.
My guess, since the pattern isn't even, that you may be over choked.
The other possibility is you got a bad box of Longbeards. I had that happen mid season when a friend, using my gun, wounded a gobbler that was well within range. I watched him. He didn't flinch. He squeezed the trigger. He did everything right.
I put a backtag up at 20 yds. and got three pellets in it.
Took me a while but I found I had gotten into a bad box.
If you or a friend have another gun that you know patterns well, try them in that.
I learned to shoot a round out of each box before taking them hunting.
Otherwise, another choke might square away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoorMansWrangler

https://postimg.cc/gallery/8sr7M8h

20 yards sumtoy then stock Remington extra full
30 yards Remington extra full, then sumtoy on the brown (tough to see but seems lower)
Kind of makes me think it's not a poi issue, maybe the gun just likes the extra full stock better?

bbcoach

If your bead was dead center and you had a good cheek weld, you have a POA/POI issue for sure.  I would say 4 to 5 inches low and 3 to 4 inches left.  You want that pattern centered where you are aiming.  The easiest way to know for sure is get some dove loads and shoot those dove loads at 12 to 15 yards.  At this distance, you will blow a Big hole in the target the size of a baseball. 

PoorMansWrangler

Copy that. Will re shoot again closer. If it is a Poi issue, anything I can do shooting just a bead?

PoorMansWrangler

Forgot to mention as well, those last pictures were taken using a dove load #8 shot

skimerhorn

You definitely need a bigger piece of paper so you can see what the whole pattern is doing, then you can check poi. You can probably get a shim kit to help adjust your bead if that's the case