OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting Central Florida

Started by zelmo1, March 15, 2024, 07:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

I am hunting central Florida, about 1.5 hours south of Ocala, next month. Several people have told me that they dont do a lot of yelping in general.  Mostly clucking, softer more subtle techniques. I have never hunted there so I am trying to get as much info as possible. I vary my calling as to the birds reaction/ temperature. Any info from this crowd is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Z

squidd

Just what you listed is what I mainly do now. 

Even the turkey at times are much quieter than turkey I've heard in other areas. 

If you hear a turkey >100-yds away clucking, it's probably another hunter :blob10:

zelmo1

I got lucky and am hunting with another call maker I met and he is the expert. I will follow his lead in his back yard. I'd like to do one solo if we are successful. Z

PharmHunter

They are turkeys and are going to turkey, and their temp will vary day to day.  However, I treat and call to them down there like anywhere else in the country based on the situation and particular bird.

cracker4112

I agree with the above...I call them just like any where else I've ever hunted them.

GobbleNut

Simply put, the old "take his temperature" mantra applies wherever one hunts.  Having said that, my limited experience suggests that the turkeys down there normally have a fairly low temperature to start with...   ;D :D

zelmo1

I just need 2 hot blooded Toms with 2" spurs and a 14" beard that weigh 24 plus pounds. Not asking for too much peeps. Z  :funnyturkey:

cracker4112

2 state record birds, good luck! You could get a 14" beard, or 2" spurs, but a 24 pounder might be the rarest down here!

Gooserbat

Good luck and from my experience they are just turkeys with long legs.  Treat them like an easyern and you will be fine.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

JeffC

Good luck down there Z, don't melt in all that heat..or get eaten by gator, python or swamp yeti... :toothy12: :anim_25:.
Really think the heat will be your biggest challenge...
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

joey46

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 15, 2024, 11:22:02 AM
Good luck and from my experience they are just turkeys with long legs.  Treat them like an easyern and you will be fine.

Agree 100%.  I have hunted Easterns for 40 plus years and now Osceolas for 19 years.  Although it seems to piz off a few of my Osceola hunting buddies I have never seen the difference other than appearance.  You will be hunting a bird that won't hesitate to walk through swamp water and extreme heat doesn't slow them a bit but those are all terrain related situations.  I'll add pictures from yesterday's open morning hunt in a familiar to us swamp later.  It worked out plus my buddy got to try the new Florida telecheck system from my phone.  Good luck.

zelmo1

I'll be in my truck 3 weeks from today, I probably won't sleep till I get there, lol. Thanks for all the tips and kind words peeps. Z

RutnNStrutn

I hunted Osceolas for years. Some days there were fired up, other days they were tight beaked. So I did what the turkeys did. When they were fired up, I poured on the coals. When they were quiet, I called softly using different calls every 15 minutes, in case a gobbler was walking by in ear shot. Play the gobbler's game. Good luck!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

PalmettoRon

I've hunted on a buddy's lease south of Orlando annually since 1996. I agree that taking the gobbler's temperature as I do everywhere is key.

Also, it's often foggy and humid, so any sounds you hear are generally closer than you might think.

It was hot, humid and foggy this past weekend which was the opener in Central FL. While I got my gobblers, one very nice, they were not really wound up. I suspect the best hunting is still to come.

I also think these birds are less vocal as a general rule, because it isn't the safest thing to be gobbling much coming through a dense oak hammock or cypress head.

Kygobblergetter

Z, is this on private or public land? I'll be in the same area 3/22-3/28. I killed a bird last year that never gobbled once. Hunted 5-6 days and never heard a gobble in Osceola country. Moved north and hunted one gobbling eastern that went quiet before we ever got in the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk