turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

practice

Started by dirt road ninja, July 14, 2011, 03:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirt road ninja

Was reading a thread in the reloading section and the question was posed about practicing with your turkey gun. I personally feel that my turkey gun is shot more like a rifle then a shotgun. I will admit that I very seldom shoot my turkey gun from real world hunting positions, most of the rounds that are shot from it are shot from a bench. I do however shoot a bunch with .22's from a variety of positions and feel that will prepare you just as well for the spring or deer season.

Given that you know your guns limits, and that you shoot on regular basis with rifles from hunting positions, do you feel it is necessary to practice with your turkey gun??

Mine is the hardest kicking, most painful thing that I own.

guesswho

I check mine prior to each season to make sure the point of impact is where I want it.   I'll also do the same if I were to miss one, which never happens.  Other than that it stays in the cabinet until it is needed.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

jshively

I do a lot of shooting with my 22lr as well.  I have noticed that since I started practicing more with it I have been more successful in the field.

I also like to do some skeet shooting with my 20 gauge.  I find that it helps with my reflexes and is also a lot of fun.  It definitely is easier to shoot than the turkey gun.  Plus the shells for the turkey gun are too expensive to be practicing year round.  I'll pattern a load then stick with it until I run out of shells or change something on the gun.

Hognutz

Quote from: guesswho on July 14, 2011, 03:35:26 PM
I check mine prior to each season to make sure the point of impact is where I want it.   I'll also do the same if I were to miss one, which never happens.  Other than that it stays in the cabinet until it is needed.

My sentiments, exactly. You have to check your point of impact before season. That's the only time that my turkey rig gets shot. I make sure that the aimpoint is up to snuff then, as well. Shooting turkeys is a pretty basic deal. I don't feel the need to practice it..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

hookedspur

:agreed: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

OLE RASPY

x2

mossy835

I like to practice on the pattern board with my old JC Higgins and my Mossberg turkey shot gun when ever I can. But I use shells I bought on sale (Estate shells) that are 2 3/4. As far as the kick goes the Limb saver takes care of that for me regardless of the shell I shoot.  It has been that way with me since I was a kid. I hunted gophers with traps and an old Remington 22 for shell money many moons ago and my practice was a railroad tie and the brass cases from the 22 rifle. Rarely missed the shot as each gopher in a field was worth .25 to me. Good post interested to see more answers on this one.

:fud: :fud: :fud:

HogBiologist

My turk slayer is actually my all around 12 ga.  I use it when hunting alot.  So i guess I get alot of practice with it.
Certified Wildlife Biologist