OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How long is the longest?

Started by Ryanmc, March 14, 2024, 08:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryanmc

I'm like most of you and thinking about past hunts. One that stands out is a Texas Rio hunt with my Dad and brother. I killed a bird the first morning but kept hearing one far off gobbling his head off. The next morning I took to him to stay out of everyone's way. He gobbled the first time at 6:40 and I finally killed him at 12:30. I'm pretty sure I heard every gobble he made and chased him about 2 miles.  He was going to one particular ridge between a field and a thick sendero that I didn't know existed. It was a long but very memorable hunt. I can remember my dad getting upset because we were suppose to be on the road by noon but that all went away when I walked up with a giant bronze tip.

How long is the longest successful hunt that you had?

Tom007

Last year, 3 days. The first day he spotted me walking in, stayed in the tree till 7:30. Flew down hill, vanished. The next day, I stayed further away, he gobbled his head off, flew down with hens and walked away. The 3rd day I slipped in an hour before light. I walked past him, set up in his travel route from the day before. He gobbled as usual, flew down and skirted me with his harem. I started cackling, the hens started coming back with him in tow and I closed the deal. 3 days for a real fine 3 year old. I got a lot of satisfaction in harvesting this guy......
"Solo hunter"

davisd9

I have chased a bird for multiple hunts. One I worked on a few times waiting for him to get right, when he did I killed him in 45 minutes. Probably worked on him for a couple weeks. If asking about one hunt, I chased a bird from the time he left the roost until 1-2 pm when I finally killed him. I kept trying to circle in front but he was always two steps ahead. I finally got ahead of him and got him to come around the tree.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Dtrkyman

I've hunted birds multiple days and killed them, of course plenty got away also.

In a single sit, I sat down in the dark and never made a move, shot the bird I heard from the roost who strutted one field over at 11:15. Glad I toted a chair that morning!

I sat all day pre dawn until evening and killed birds bowhuntng but no idea if it was the same bird/birds.

Gooserbat

I hunted one bird 4 days and drove 3 hours home empty handed.  Went back a week later and hunted him 3 more days before I finally got him. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

zelmo1

Not exclusively, but 24 days. We cut this bird on opening day with my wife. She wasnt very experienced and travels heavy, if you get my meaning. He was on the next little ridge and wouldnt budge. We hunted him every day we went out that year until she killed her first tom. Not this guy, 9/10 tries. We got a response every day. It was maddening. I passed him at 20 yards because he was headed to her. Took a little turn and next thing he is on the other side of a stone wall, gone. Fast Fwd to May 24th, my wife shoots a different bird, her first tom. We go home and get beakfast and take pics. She looks at me and says' You know what you need to do". I smiled and knew she meant to get the Leightons Ridge bird. She gave me a kiss and off I went. I started my hunt clock when I left my truck. I stopped the clock exactly 1:30.00 later. Not anything special, 20 pound 1" spurs and 9" beard. But, it felt pretty dam good to get him. Pretty unamazing, but one of my favorite birds. Z

Rt0426

I had a great hunt opening day several years ago.  Got him to gobble off the roost, saw him fly down 150 yds away, and got him to come all the way across the field straight to me.  I ended up getting way too excited and attempted a bad shot at 60 yds while he was still coming in.  Completely blew the shot, had him on a string and just rushed everything.  I ended up encountering him 5-6 more times during the season within no shot.  The final weekend of the season was rainy and windy.  I started elsewhere on the property, and ended up slowly moving to his area to see if there was a game to play.  While leaning on a tree with the sun behind me, I just happen to see him walking the field edge about 30 yds away and he didnt have a clue I was there.  All I had to do was pull up the gun and fire.  After 3 weeks of hunting him, that is not how I envisioned harvesting him, but after all the games we played that season, I did not care.

Mossyguy

Hunted one in Georgia that started just before daylight. He had hens and when he flew down he went the other way. I kept trying to get in front of him but was always just behind him. Finally I was able to get ahead and pulled the trigger just before 1:30.

High plains drifter

I'm not patient. I'm not staying out there past morning.

Dougas

I saw a bearded hen ( legal in Oregon during spring) the third week of the spring season. I hunted her the rest of the season. I then took up the hunt again in October and got her the last week of December.

WildTigerTrout

My longest successful hunt was right at 3 1/2 hours from first gobble to dirt nap. My longest hunt ever was an entire season and I never did get him.  He was a cunning gobbler.  Luck seemed to be on his side.  I believe he died of old age honestly!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!