OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Single most important piece of equipment to you

Started by ScottTaulbee, March 13, 2024, 11:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kytomgetter

Toilet Paper. I started carrying it years ago and won't be caught without it. Found out the hard way. Lol

Kygobblergetter

Mine is also a "lucky" hat my wife got me. I have also noticed I have a "lucky" shirt. I don't always wear the shirt but it always seems to be the one I'm wearing when I kill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IhateMud

Thermacell. I attract mosquitoes from miles away. I would not be able to hunt without it.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

3bailey3

zelmo1

I carry a weird coin that my uncle, the best human ever to grace the planet( all respect to everyone ), gave me 40 years ago. I would trade a year of my life to spend a day with him just one more time .  :bible: Z

Upfold99

Not really a vest item, but I too have a lucky shirt.  It's 20 plus years old and has holes in it now.  I'm afraid to wear it much, figuring it will fall apart each time I put it on. Killed my first turkey in it and many others.I only wear it when I need a luck boost. Sometimes I go several seasons without wearing it.

I hunted a particular bird hard last year.  (I spend too much time on the difficult ones)  The very last day I could hunt I grabbed the ole wore out shirt and put it on. He rode home in the back of my truck that day.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Big Flounder

Since my dad passed away a few years ago, I always take something of his with me on my hunts. If I'm not bowhunting, I will take a small antler handled knife he made me years ago, wear his dog tags (he was a Vietnam vet) or wear one of his old plaid flannel shirts. However, I do most of my hunting with a longbow, whether I'm chasing turkeys, deer, small game, etc. So, after dad died, I had a custom longbow built and asked the bowyer to put a pinch of dad's ashes into the build. The bow turned out beautiful, shoots like a dream and is of course very special to me. Dad was a lifelong traditional bowhunter but didn't get to travel much to hunt due to money and his health in his later years. My first trip with the longbow was to hunt black bear in Alaska, one of dad's dream trips. Bears didn't cooperate, but we had a great time. I look forward to taking "dad" out west this year to chase gobblers in April.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: zelmo1 on March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
I carry a weird coin that my uncle, the best human ever to grace the planet( all respect to everyone ), gave me 40 years ago. I would trade a year of my life to spend a day with him just one more time .  :bible: Z
To add one more thing, back when they first released the wild turkey quarter, I found one while turkey hunting a local WMA and thought "what are the odds of that?!" So I've kept it with me since. I think that was 2015 or so. Fast forward to 2019, my dad is obsessed with bear and has wanted to kill one since he was a kid but hasn't had any luck, I took him on a bear hunt and we're in eastern KY on a old strip mine, on top of a mountain, probably 5 miles from any road and a lot farther than that from any houses, we're walking and I'm looking for sign, I see something with a different shine than a rock about 6 yards off the machinery path, I walk over and get to looking, and it's another one of the wild turkey quarters!. I have kept them both in my wallet since finding them both and can tell each apart due to the difference in dirt color. My "lucky" quarters

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Big Flounder on March 13, 2024, 11:24:44 PM
Since my dad passed away a few years ago, I always take something of his with me on my hunts. If I'm not bowhunting, I will take a small antler handled knife he made me years ago, wear his dog tags (he was a Vietnam vet) or wear one of his old plaid flannel shirts. However, I do most of my hunting with a longbow, whether I'm chasing turkeys, deer, small game, etc. So, after dad died, I had a custom longbow built and asked the bowyer to put a pinch of dad's ashes into the build. The bow turned out beautiful, shoots like a dream and is of course very special to me. Dad was a lifelong traditional bowhunter but didn't get to travel much to hunt due to money and his health in his later years. My first trip with the longbow was to hunt black bear in Alaska, one of dad's dream trips. Bears didn't cooperate, but we had a great time. I look forward to taking "dad" out west this year to chase gobblers in April.
That's incredible!. And that's a sharp bow!. I got in to traditional bow hunting last year and it's consumed me just as bad as turkey hunting( almost as bad?). Anyway, I hope to get one with my longbow this season. Any chance you're a PBS member?.

Tom007

Quote from: NOmad on March 13, 2024, 01:26:39 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on March 13, 2024, 01:09:59 PM
Since I mostly hunt "solo", my cell phone is most important for obvious reasons. I have a "lucky" sweater that a buddy gave me, he since has passed away. It's a Bob Fratzke Wool camo sweater that I wear on cool mornings. I say it's lucky because I harvested most of my big deer and turkeys while wearing this sweater. I think of my friend when I put that sweater on. I miss hunting with him.......

That last line hit me hard Tom007. Every time I get frustrated with my old man on a turkey hunt (he doesn't turkey hunt but loves to go with me and watch the chess match) for being loud, lighting a cigarette at the wrong time, etc... I try to remember all the old timers that have said that exact line to me over and over again, "I sure wish I could hunt with him one more time". I think I have gotten better at this over the years and the memories made with my old man will go with me to the grave.

Amen my friend, treasure the memories....
"Solo hunter"

Big Flounder

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on March 14, 2024, 07:03:04 AM
That's incredible!. And that's a sharp bow!. I got in to traditional bow hunting last year and it's consumed me just as bad as turkey hunting( almost as bad?). Anyway, I hope to get one with my longbow this season. Any chance you're a PBS member?.

Yes, I've been an Associate member off and on for several years. I'm a life member, past Board Member and currently the membership secretary for Compton Traditional Bowhunters. Thanks for the compliments on the bow. It's a Robertson and the guys did a fantastic job building it.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Big Flounder on March 14, 2024, 08:17:15 AM
Quote from: ScottTaulbee on March 14, 2024, 07:03:04 AM

Yes, I've been an Associate member off and on for several years. I'm a life member, past Board Member and currently the membership secretary for Compton Traditional Bowhunters. Thanks for the compliments on the bow. It's a Robertson and the guys did a fantastic job building it.
I'm also a member of Compton's and an Associate Member of PBS. Are you coming to the gathering in Lexington?. I'll be up there later this evening after I get off of work

crucible7

My Glenda Green inner tube seat. I love it so much, I take the seat off my vest and carry it in my game bag. I did make a small adjustment to it. I had an old memory foam cushion that I cut a circle out of and stuck it in the middle of the inner tube. The memory foam sits lower than the tube so it doesn't change what makes the tube effective... but on long sits, the memory foam helps to spread the load a bit.

I have an old box call that I consider to be my first "real" call that I carry even though I don't use it much. My wife's uncle made it and it sounds good. I've never killed a bird with it but I feel weird not taking it with me.

JRICHARD9

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."