turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Single most important piece of equipment to you

Started by ScottTaulbee, March 13, 2024, 11:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottTaulbee

Disregarding any of your basic stuff (guns, shells, camouflage, license, etc.), what is one thing that you will not hunt without. Something sentimental, something handy, a certain call, etc. There are no wrong answers. My single most important piece of equipment is a sentimental good luck charm, my hat that I wear that my daughter and wife picked out for me on Valentine's Day probably 6 years ago. I've worn it on every hunt since and worn it every time I've taken the kids. And have killed a pile of turkeys in it. Probably ain't anything to it but I've always believed in "lucky" items. If nothing else, it makes me feel good knowing they think enough about me to get it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOmad

My favorite little 2 reed yelper. I carry 3 of them (identical) every time I step into the woods.

soILstrutter

A pair of my Dad's old original Bottomland denim bibs. Sentimental and highly functional

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Greg Massey

My Glenda Green Satchel.. No.5  / carrying my ceramic pot call i got years ago from Jim Shelley ..

capecodmike

A long box a fellow from Alabama made for me. 

Many a bird has fallen to that Siren's song.

Tom007

Since I mostly hunt "solo", my cell phone is most important for obvious reasons. I have a "lucky" sweater that a buddy gave me, he since has passed away. It's a Bob Fratzke Wool camo sweater that I wear on cool mornings. I say it's lucky because I harvested most of my big deer and turkeys while wearing this sweater. I think of my friend when I put that sweater on. I miss hunting with him.......
"Solo hunter"

NOmad

Quote from: Tom007 on March 13, 2024, 01:09:59 PM
Since I mostly hunt "solo", my cell phone is most important for obvious reasons. I have a "lucky" sweater that a buddy gave me, he since has passed away. It's a Bob Fratzke Wool camo sweater that I wear on cool mornings. I say it's lucky because I harvested most of my big deer and turkeys while wearing this sweater. I think of my friend when I put that sweater on. I miss hunting with him.......

That last line hit me hard Tom007. Every time I get frustrated with my old man on a turkey hunt (he doesn't turkey hunt but loves to go with me and watch the chess match) for being loud, lighting a cigarette at the wrong time, etc... I try to remember all the old timers that have said that exact line to me over and over again, "I sure wish I could hunt with him one more time". I think I have gotten better at this over the years and the memories made with my old man will go with me to the grave.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: NOmad on March 13, 2024, 01:26:39 PM

That last line hit me hard Tom007. Every time I get frustrated with my old man on a turkey hunt (he doesn't turkey hunt but loves to go with me and watch the chess match) for being loud, lighting a cigarette at the wrong time, etc... I try to remember all the old timers that have said that exact line to me over and over again, "I sure wish I could hunt with him one more time". I think I have gotten better at this over the years and the memories made with my old man will go with me to the grave.

Nomad, I know what you mean buddy. We didn't have turkeys in my area until my dad was in his mid 30's. He likes to hunt them but he never got in to the game as we all here know it. He doesn't believe in a facemask or gloves even though I can sometimes talk him in to it. He doesn't use decoys, or blinds, and he couldn't operate a call even if it was a push button and he has no desire to learn. He hunts them in a way that he will watch his turkeys pre season, say a turkey walks past a tree 3 days in a row, the fourth day dad is sitting there at daylight and will still be sitting there at dark unless that gobbler comes by and he kills him. He hunts to eat them, I hunt them because there is no other animal or thing on this earth that gives me a rush like that.

He has COPD and emphysema from smoking his whole life and can't walk more than 30 or 40 yards without having to stop and catch his breath and stop coughing. I on the other hand, will go 8 to 10 miles in a morning and climb mountains, cross waist deep swamps, wade creeks, or do whatever else is necessary to get to a gobbling bird.

I constantly have to remind myself when I'm with these two, that we aren't out there to kill a turkey. We're out there to hunt with each other and enjoy the gift that only god could give us. And it brings it all back in perspective for me.

It took me taking dad for 12 years before he killed a turkey with me and hasn't since, but we make a point to hunt together at least a couple times a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kytrkyhntr

When I was 6 years old my dad gave me a seat, camo covered foam folding seat. Used it as my seat till I got a vest. When I started wearing vests it rode in the game bag. I to this day have not killed a turkey without that pad. Doubt I ever will stop carrying it till my little girl uses it as her seat.
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

JL_Longbeard

I have a small bible that has more miles on it than I care to count. Sometimes I read it, sometimes I don't, but it's always in my possession while hunting.

NOmad

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on March 13, 2024, 01:44:58 PM
Quote from: NOmad on March 13, 2024, 01:26:39 PM

I constantly have to remind myself when I'm with these two, that we aren't out there to kill a turkey. We're out there to hunt with each other and enjoy the gift that only god could give us. And it brings it all back in perspective for me.

Couldn't have said it better myself sir.

Zobo

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14