OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The Tenth or Old Pro?

Started by Paulmyr, March 11, 2024, 07:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

So I'm heading on a road trip here in the next couple days and have the Old Pro Turkey Hunter an the Tenth Legion on audiobook, the 10th narrated by Tom Kelly.

Certainly won't be my 1st time listening to them. Back to back both books will just about cover the trip time wise. My question is which would you listen 1st?

Think I'll be starting with the Old Pro. Begin the trip by reminiscing about times almost forgotten. Simpler times than follow up by getting my game face on and ready for battle with the 10th legion as I pull into town.

What say you?
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Ranger

Old Pro if I was going for killing, and Tenth Legion if I was going for the cheers and laughs. I don't have any audio books but would love to listen to East of the Slash on a trip.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Nathan_Wiles

Quote from: Ranger on March 11, 2024, 07:59:02 PM
Old Pro if I was going for killing, and Tenth Legion if I was going for the cheers and laughs. I don't have any audio books but would love to listen to East of the Slash on a trip.
I agree with this, and I have them both. I'd put old pro 1st up and will likely be listening to them again in a couple weeks.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Notsoyoungturk

A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

ElkTurkMan

aclawrence

I got for Old Pro also. Double Gobble by Bobby Dale is a good one to if you can find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Flounder

Glad I seen this thread. I'm heading west in a month and usually listen to podcasts, but will have to give the audio book a try. Old Pro is a great suggestion.

Happy

In my humble opinion, Old Pro is a little more of a "How" book, and The Tenth legion is a little bit more of a "Why" book. Both great works that compliment each other.

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

jdl80

It would be nice if all hunters adopted the old pro ways. Respect for other hunters is going to the wayside..

Prospector

If you ve read the "Old Pro's" books then you've heard of the Barrett family. My mentor married into that very family. I met Mr Nunnery as a teen and have signed copies. It is a memory I cherish. Read/listen to both is my opinion
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

soILstrutter

Yeah, I'm going with Old Pro, as it is my favorite book of all time. But the Tenth, narrated by the Colonel, is absolutely great as well. The fact that he is narrating it might make that choice even harder. Neither choice is wrong though.

PALongspur

Quote from: jdl80 on March 12, 2024, 07:29:49 AM
It would be nice if all hunters adopted the old pro ways. Respect for other hunters is going to the wayside..

Absolutely

ScottTaulbee

Where are you listening to audio books at?. The app I use currently is sorely lacking

aclawrence

Not a turkey hunting book but I loved listening to the stories in the "Life of the Honorable William F Cody"