OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sitka Turkey Tool Belt

Started by Meyerkbw, March 11, 2024, 05:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meyerkbw

https://www.sitkagear.com/products/turkey-tool-belt/earth?variant=12332&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw17qvBhBrEiwA1rU9w-qenCGJej4EjjDbdaRKugv6mjTwMYPm4mE2GR7DLO5_E9iQWDUFWBoCloMQAvD_BwE

Anyone order one of these? They are pretty pricey at $230, but Sitka has a 10% off deal dropping it to $207 with free shipping. There's quite a few videos on YouTube. It seems like a pretty nice minimalist option.

WVhuntEER

I got one as a gift so I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Meyerkbw

Quote from: WVhuntEER on March 11, 2024, 07:16:24 PM

Now that's a great gift! Do you hunt with a long box? I've got a 12 inch Marlin and I'm wondering if it'll squeeze in the box compartment? If not, would it fit in the main zippered compartment perhaps at an angle?

WVhuntEER

Haha yep it was! I am more of a mouth call/pot call guy but I will go check in a bit how mine fits and let you know. ????????

WVhuntEER

Quote from: Meyerkbw on March 11, 2024, 07:38:36 PM
Quote from: WVhuntEER on March 11, 2024, 07:16:24 PM

Now that's a great gift! Do you hunt with a long box? I've got a 12 inch Marlin and I'm wondering if it'll squeeze in the box compartment? If not, would it fit in the main zippered compartment perhaps at an angle?
I went and tried it with one of my box calls. It has a magnetic flap that also has a piece of elastic paracord to secure the call. If you turn your call on its side the handle of the box call should be out of the way allowing you to put your call in the pouch and use the elastic to secure it. Hope this helps.

troutfisher13111

I'd like to know when it's loaded with all your gear and a water bottle, how much it sags over your butt and bounces around. That has always been  my gripe with Fanny packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meyerkbw

Thanks WVhuntEER! That would work. I think you mean a inch or so on the paddle would stick out the side? That'll work for me! I appreciate you checking.

Meyerkbw

Quote from: Terry on March 12, 2024, 08:08:12 AM
I'd like to know when it's loaded with all your gear and a water bottle, how much it sags over your butt and bounces around. That has always been  my gripe with Fanny packs.

I agree. The key part will be "what's loaded up". It's meant to be a minimalist pack. I like to hunt with 1 or 2 pot calls, 1 or 2 box calls. By the time you add strikers, a knife, a water bottle and lunch, gloves, face net....it can add up quickly.

10th Legionaire

I bought one as well.

I have loaded it up with about everything I would typically carry in the woods; three pot calls&strikers, box call, two mouth calls, three extra shells, pocket knife, water bottle and two locator calls. If I carried food to the field it would only be a couple power bars and a snack bag of trail mix.

I think it carries well and I have room to spare.

Just as an add, my headnet is part of my hat and I wear my gloves not carry them.
Less is more

troutfisher13111

Quote from: 10th Legionaire on March 12, 2024, 09:18:00 AM
I bought one as well.

I have loaded it up with about everything I would typically carry in the woods; three pot calls&strikers, box call, two mouth calls, three extra shells, pocket knife, water bottle and two locator calls. If I carried food to the field it would only be a couple power bars and a snack bag of trail mix.

Just as an add, my headnet is part of my hat and I wear my gloves not carry them.
Doesn't flop or bounce around??

WVhuntEER

Quote from: Meyerkbw on March 12, 2024, 08:30:13 AM
Thanks WVhuntEER! That would work. I think you mean a inch or so on the paddle would stick out the side? That'll work for me! I appreciate you checking.
That's exactly right. The paddle was in the way for it to close but when you turn it sideways it shouldn't be a problem. It will stick out a couple of inches but it should work. 

WVhuntEER

Quote from: Terry on March 12, 2024, 09:29:22 AM
I bought one as well.

When I get a chance I will load it down and test it out for you.

10th Legionaire

Quote from: Terry on March 12, 2024, 09:29:22 AM
I bought one as well.

I have not done extensive testing but in walking around the yard it seems pretty stable.

I'm sure running up and down hills and hollers it going to move around some. Can't be as bad as a vest and cushion bouncing around in the excitement of a move on a bird.

Less is more

Greg Massey

Could you use clip on suspenders to help keep it up? If needed ..

Meyerkbw

Quote from: WVhuntEER on March 12, 2024, 09:55:53 AM
Quote from: Meyerkbw on March 12, 2024, 08:30:13 AM
That's exactly right. The paddle was in the way for it to close but when you turn it sideways it shouldn't be a problem. It will stick out a couple of inches but it should work.

I just got to thinking about this and remembered that almost all long boxes have a handle that sticks out on the bottom just as long as the paddle. I've never seen a longbox without a handle.