OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Jicarilla Indian Reservation

Started by Everlee, March 11, 2024, 03:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Everlee

Hello OG community, I will be hunting the Jicarilla Reservation in New Mexico this season to hopefully complete my first grand slam. Has anyone pulled a tag and hunted that reservation? I am looking for some general info on your hunting experience. Any and all advice or words of wisdom are welcome.

Thanks,
Everlee

Dtrkyman

I have not, but have been in the area many times, I would be shocked if they didn't have some amazing turkey hunting in there somewhere!

GobbleNut

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 11, 2024, 10:07:02 PM
I have not, but have been in the area many times, I would be shocked if they didn't have some amazing turkey hunting in there somewhere!

Yeah, me too, although I have never been on the reservation. 
Easiest way to find Merriam's gobblers in this country:  Look for water sources in areas that have roosting habitat...beginning at the elevation where you start getting into pine-type habitat.  Look for that habitat, then drive the roads using a locator call from fifteen minutes after sundown until full dark and again from an hour before sunrise until sunrise.  Don't dally...cover country quickly. You will find them...and they will most likely be on east-facing slopes.    :icon_thumright:

Everlee