OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Boot suggestions?

Started by Tca126, March 11, 2024, 06:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

10th Legionaire

Quote from: tad1 on March 12, 2024, 08:49:53 AM
Another thought, you can maybe buy a few pairs/sizes if a retailer has a good return policy, eliminate stress of getting the right fit.  Some retailers will even let you return footwear after you've worn it a good bit.  Carpet testing only takes you so far.  I think REI for  instance will let you return even if you put some miles in them and your feet were just not happy.  You may need to be a special "club " member though.

I can't believe REI hasn't modified their return policy over the years. It's pretty much 1 year no questions asked regardless of wear and tear. And I don't think you need to be a CoOp member.

FYI the membership is a killer deal. I think it's currently $20.00 lifetime. You get a 10% "annual dividend" on everything you spent last year. I got my notification last week that I have a $30.00 dividend waiting. I paid $5.00 for my membership in 1978 :toothy12: I may have gotten my money's worth.
Less is more

dan

I've got some Danner mountains but I've heard the Salomon's are better.

I also keep a pair of lacrosse aero lites for when it's wet. Hard to go back to rubber boots once you've tried hiking boots. Keep us updated on what you find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rt0426

I have started using Hoffman Classic boots for work daily and hunting.  They do not guarantee they are waterproof, but I have yet to have wet feet.

deathfoot

I'm also in the market for a good boot. I've been researching Danner and Crispi. My issue is real tho...no one even close to where I live carries them. There's a Sportsmen's Warehouse here but according to the website, they have none in stock at that store. If I'm going to pay over $200 or plenty more (which I would do for a great boot) I definitely want to try them on as suggested. But where??  I am planning on visiting the local SW tomorrow just to see if by chance they have something to try or what they suggest.

WV Ridge Reaper

Crispi,solaman a solid second..pretty sure there is at least one maybe two places that have Crispi  in stock in Pa..i remember looking a while back

Manager8

I like my Crispi  Nevada great ankle support

Ryanmc

I wear crispi when warm and miendl when cooler. I wish I would have bought multiple pairs when I bought these.

HillclimberWV

Crispi summit is my go to. I have probably a hundred miles across 2 turkey seasons 2 whitetail seasons and a week in Colorado chasing mule deer in some rough country. That trip alone had 40 miles according to onx. They have held up great.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Bowtie747

I hunt the same areas! I use the Crispi Valdres boots. The lacing system is odd but they seem to be good boots. I've had kenetreks aswell. If I could do it again I'd lean hard towards the Kenetrek Hardscramble or whatever they're called. Time will tell though as I've only used these Crispis for some hiking and deer hunting last season. I will say I hunt public land for deer and pack everything in and out. I put some miles in a day and they seem really easy on my feet.

King Cobra

Based on conditions: Lowa Ranger, Bean Maine Hunting Boot, or Muck field blazers. I have many others but these are my "go to" boots.
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

aclawrence

I really like Zamberlan boots with the zbpk last. They are going to fit wider than the Salomon's though.

Gman

Just asking, Do any of these "high end" boots (Crispi, Lowa, Salomon, Meindle, Zamberlan, Kenetreks) come in a tall snake proof model?

Old Dominion Tom

For Spring gobbler and early bow season I love Danner Sharptails.  This is a moccasin toe style, 8" hook lace up boot.  Un-insulated and waterproof, very comfortable, good support, durable and very lightweight.  I do believe they make snake boots in this same design family.

aclawrence

Quote from: Gman on March 13, 2024, 08:28:26 PM
Just asking, Do any of these "high end" boots (Crispi, Lowa, Salomon, Meindle, Zamberlan, Kenetreks) come in a tall snake proof model?
I don't think so. I watched some Rose Anvil videos a while back and it was very interesting. He cuts boots in half and reviews their construction. He also does a puncture test or "rattle snake" test and apparently regular full grain leather boots are not snake proof.  I always assumed they were. I'm wondering if snake boots are partly snake proof because of their thickness.

jhoward11

I love my Zamberlan's. Light and fit well. They are expensive, but if I'm walking all over creation, wanna make sure I have good footwear.